U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 15,822 times

Advertisements

I LOVE SUSHI!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I've lived in Brandon off and on since 1982. It's certainly boomed since that time, but not in an unhealthy way.

I work in Tampa and live in N Brandon, which is very quiet. My neighbors all know one another and are very nice. The key word is EASY. I hate malls, but if I do need one, it's 10-15 minutes away. Movie theater is about the same. I've got a Publix, Sweet Bay, dry cleaners, YMCA, Blockbuster (I'm a Netflicks guys myself) and so on, 2 minutes away.

Restaurants mostly cookie cutter corporate types, with some good independents sprinkled in here and there. If you want a nice dining experience you can drive into Tampa fairly quickly in the evening or weekend. There are two nice sushi restaurants (Both quality and friendly) in Brandon that keep me from having to go into Tampa though, which is nice.

I-4 and crosstown are about 10-15 minutes from me. Traffic on 60 can be a PITA, but is NOTHING like I4 or any other large city driving.

Drivers are rude just about anywhere in this country I've found. I used to joke that the state bird in Florida was the finger, but really, that's true everywhere. There are courteous people and not-so-courteous people. You can choose to remember the negative, or you can choose to remember the person who smiled at you and said hello. I have plenty of people cut me off, rush up to get ahead of me etc. But I have plenty of people who have stopped to let me into traffic, merge, whatever.

It's an EASY suburban lifestyle IMO. Yea, it's a little cookie cutter, and vanilla, but you can always dip into Tampa for a show, concert, dinner at Ceviches, a walk on Bayshore...or drive a bit more to the beach. EASY.

I'd wait a while more before buying though. Prices are going down and will continue to do so for some time. Even when we hit a bottom, they will stabilize, not begin to zoom back up in value. We've got two years of ARMS left to be twisted, blood in the streets (foreclosure, short sales) and the liquidity is dried up. IMO we've got a long way to go. Rent and see what area of Brandon you life first. Let the knife catchers go out and buy homes now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,131,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2020 View Post
Can any one tell me about Brandon,Florida?
I live in Brandon. I am an assistant manager at an apt. comm. in this area...I can give you a little bit of info...

Brandon is a great place to live if you like the suburb life. There are many homes, townhomes, and apartments in this area.
Everything is within 20 mins. or less if you live in Brandon and not the surrounding areas (Valrico, Bloomingdale, Riverview).
There is a pretty decent mall here that expanded not too long ago, plenty of resturants in the area, iceskating rink, rollar skating rink, 2 bowling alleys, movie theatre, and other little things to do. We are about 15 mins. from Ybor and 20 from Channelside (depending on traffic).
Alos, not far from Bucsh Gardens & Adventure Islands...
Brandon is close to the freeway (Meaning I-75 and Crosstown) and also not too far from downtown.
We are a 45 min. drive from Siesta Key, about 40 from Ellenton Outlet Mall.
A lot of the schools in the surrounding area are good (not all, but a lot). And HCC has a branch here.
You can find a job here, pay is really based on your experience/education. I have a decent paying job, but there are a lot of customer service job (as someone else metioned) such as Home Depot call center, Citigroup call center, Phamerica, Progressive, and a couple of other places.
I think Brandon is a good place to raise kids.
Oh, and the demos of Brandon...Oh, I would say maybe from 20's-50's. I have seen all.
I hope this helps!

Last edited by mquintana; 05-21-2008 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Forgot soemthing

Old 08-25-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
LOL Im getting scared of moving, I swear.

Wanting to move to Tampa/surrounding areas from NY....

Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 AM

428 posts, read 1,508,394 times
DO NOT BE AFRAID! The people of Brandon are very nice. I live in Temple Terrace but have worked in Brandon for 12 years. I would say the worst thing about it is the traffic and congestion--which you can say for New Tampa (even worse) and lots of other areas around here, too.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 AM

61 posts, read 162,823 times
Ok, i grew up just north of Brandon, in a little suburb called Seffner. I now live in Brandon for the past 12 years. I work in downtown. Takes 15 minutes on the Crosstown. Brandon has exploded in the past 15 years. Traffic on 60 can be unbearable around the mall and on weekends anywhere. There are a few call centers, I think Home Depot is still on 301. Progressive Insurance has a huge complex just off I-75. The mall has almost anything you could want. I worked in retail when i was in high school, and i saw the same families over and over. As far as living out in Fishawk, traffic is the biggest deterent. If you work in Tampa, getting to interstate is a chore in the a.m. Overall, Brandon is a nice place, but it's got some growing pains that need to be worked out.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 PM

25 posts, read 58,617 times
lived in the Brandon area 10 yrs and it's old, crowded, and worn out....check out valrico or the fishhawk area, newer homes, newer shopping, etc. however, longer commute to downtown tampa. don't think the weather is that great either, have you ever visited in August? ugh! great weather dec thru april, but 90-degrees and 100% humidity the rest of the time. think it over....

Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,131,655 times
There is nothing wrong with Brandon, there are newer homes out here. I would rather live around the Causeway area towards Providence/Bloomingdale. The surroundings are newer and there are many new townhomes and such. Everything off 60 is older. Yes, it is kinda crowded, but what place isn't in the Tampa Bay area? I prefer Riverview because off all the newer homes and good schols. Plus it's closer to Brandon for shopping, but I currently live around the Providence Lakes area of Brandon and have no complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay