U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 AM

2,763 posts, read 1,748,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx10461 View Post
I am also living in CT and just this past weekend the wife and I were discussing a job transfer to Tampa I just have some concerns and they are little things like food Can you get good Mozzarella ,Pizza, etc etc Also I am a big Baseball fan who loves Mets I know Tampa has the Rays and Spring training home for the Yankees but are there different Baseball fan base living in Tampa besides Rays and Yankees? Again these are silly concerns
If you are concerned about getting good pizza and mozzarella here, I would visit several times before accepting that transfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 08:12 AM

157 posts, read 141,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
If you are concerned about getting good pizza and mozzarella here, I would visit several times before accepting that transfer.
Those things won't be deal breaker but does Tampa have a good food scene ?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,515 posts, read 3,642,146 times
Quote:
Those things won't be deal breaker but does Tampa have a good food scene ?
Pretty good, getting better all the time.

RM

Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM

1,400 posts, read 2,494,509 times
Coming from Europe I can certainly find reasons to complain about the food, bu you can get good food here too. What we lack is the reasonable market selections of fresh produce as it has to travel so far. There is diverse dining here, yes plenty of rubbish food but its improved greatly in the 20 yrs I have been here. Can't speak to baseball, absolutely clueless sorry.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 AM

170 posts, read 62,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Coming from Europe I can certainly find reasons to complain about the food, bu you can get good food here too. What we lack is the reasonable market selections of fresh produce as it has to travel so far. There is diverse dining here, yes plenty of rubbish food but its improved greatly in the 20 yrs I have been here. Can't speak to baseball, absolutely clueless sorry.
We found that the Wagon Wheel Farmers Market on Park Blvd. has wonderfully fresh produce so we go there every weekend to stock up. It is such a fun great atmosphere ...like an Asian market.

Wagon Wheel Flea Market

Old 01-30-2019, 06:40 PM

737 posts, read 287,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE4586 View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback, I appreciate your input. All of the things you brought up are important things for us to consider before moving.

Florida cost of living is absolutely cheaper, that's not an issue worth even debating. We would stand to save 20K+ plus per year by moving to Florida on property taxes, car taxes, and income tax alone, let alone cheaper utilities rates (CT has highest utilities rates and gas prices in the country). The average home in West Hartford, CT has property taxes that are more than double that in a town like Palm Harbor, FL. Not to mention what you can buy for 300k... look at Realtor or Zillow if you don't believe me. I know that car insurance is a little bit higher in Florida, but Connecticut has the fourth highest average premium rates in the country, so it's not like it's exactly cheap here. Not to mention the current state of Connecticut's economic outlook and future are somewhat cloudy, putting it mildly. From a financial standpoint, it 100% makes sense to move to Florida.

It sounds like maybe my best bet is to try and get hooked with a job recruiting agency or headhunter in Tampa. Does anyone have any experience with headhunters in Tampa? Any recommendations? Thanks again!

The “savings” are relative to the difference between CT and Florida assuming you get a position at or above your current CT salary. Otherwise, you are not saving any real dollars.

Without a transferrable skill and a place willing to hire you I may gently suggest you adjust you goals and timeline.

Get addiditional education at nights/weekends to get a new skill i.e. IT if you have the apitude. Sell your current home, bank the equity and invest it, scale back your lifestyle a bit, rent an apartment in CT and that may give you real hard money savings to bank for the move.

If you graduated from a college or university, they may be able to provide alumni some post-graduation placement advice.

I know that is a hard reality but you have to have a track record in the field you will move into or the educational accomplishments to land that other job.

Or, you can find a teaching job down here. Just adjust to renting an apartment and saving what you possible can on the teacher salary here.

PS headhunters are commission based so unless you have something specific that are looking for, they may not help.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:05 PM

327 posts, read 106,096 times
Default Food and baseball

Quote:
I am also living in CT and just this past weekend the wife and I were discussing a job transfer to Tampa I just have some concerns and they are little things like food Can you get good Mozzarella ,Pizza, etc etc Also I am a big Baseball fan who loves Mets I know Tampa has the Rays and Spring training home for the Yankees but are there different Baseball fan base living in Tampa besides Rays and Yankees? Again these are silly concerns
I don't know your standard for good mozzarella but there are a number of grocery & specialty stores and even local farmer's markets with rather extensive cheese selections. Not all of Florida is considered BFE, nor is it some swampy cesspool waiting to fall into a sinkhole like I've seen posted elsewhere. As long as you reside near a decent-sized city, you'll be fine. Plenty of pizza choices, too, you just have to find your new favorites and forget what you leave behind because it's hard to compare new things against things you've loved and known your whole life. People do have to remember that most of Florida is now populated by transplants from other places, myself included. I worked in HR for a local hospital chain for a bit and we processed hundreds of new hires a week. I can count on one hand the people that actually were born and raised here in FL. The point I'm trying to make with that is that a lot of people have relocated from up north and brought their ideas and favorite foods with them.

As for baseball, Florida is home to the MLB's Grapefruit League Florida Sports Grapefruit League - Florida Grapefruit Leage - Florida's Home for Major League Baseball Spring Training so there's plenty of baseball action to be had during Spring Training among the 15 teams, Mets included. All of the stadiums are pretty much clustered within a few hours of each other making it easy to see plenty of baseball. With regard to regular season play, you've just got the Tampa Bay Rays and the Miami Marlins further south but that's also more baseball than a lot of other states have access to.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:38 PM

Default Don't let the gloom and doom responses sway you

Quote:
1. The job market --> How is the job market in the Tampa area? My background is in Education, I have been a teacher in a CT public high school for the past 8 years. One of the primary reasons for our move would be so that I can leave the field of Education. I have zero interest in teaching in Florida (or anywhere for that matter!) and would love to find a job in perhaps Human Resources or Corporate Training and Development in the Tampa area. The job market in Connecticut right now is absolutely terrible right now, so the number of jobs in these fields in CT seems extremely limited. From having researched online job sites, it seems like there are many, many more options in the Tampa area than in CT. I have a Bachelor's degree in history/political science from a solid college in the Northeast and a Master's degree in Education from an Ivy League university. What would you predict my chances of finding a decent paying (50k+) job outside of Education would be?
I think you'll be just fine despite what some would say on here. There are plenty of job opportunities to be had at that range and higher, you just need to look. Sites like Indeed will allow you to funnel out lower paying positions. Also, I'd recommend researching local companies as not all companies use the job boards. Did you know that companies like Foot Locker, Bealls (Florida-based retail chain similar to a Kohl's), Boar's Head, etc. all have offices in Bradenton? Check their career pages for postings they might have. Tampa has things like Bloomin' Brands and tons of others. Don't let the naysayers dissuade you. If you no longer want to be a teacher, good for you! There's nothing that says you can't move into HR or Corporate Training roles and I would actually encourage you to apply for those types of roles if they interest you because your teaching background and education would actually make you a good fit.

Quote:
2. Quality of life --> Another primary reason for our move would be to improve the quality of our lives. CT is a great place and will always be home to me, but it is becoming increasingly more impossible to live due to extremely burdensome taxes and expenses. However, my wife and I would be looking for a nice community with good schools, a nice community feel, and activities for families to do (good youth sports programs, parks, beaches, etc.) that is safe. Any recommendations where we might find these components?
Your quality of life will definitely improve in that respect along with your mention in later posts of the summer heat not being a bother to you. I think people tend to overdo it on a lot of these C-D posts. Does it get hot in the summer? Yes. But it gets hot in the summer most everywhere. It's always going to be relative to the rest of your temperatures and over time your body does acclimate and your blood changes. I am sad that I have had to wear jeans instead of shorts the past few days because of temps in the 50s and 60s and I grew up in the Midwest where it's been 100 degrees cooler and they're canceling school due to cold. I remember similar things 20 years ago. We left there after back-to-back winters of over one hundred inches of snow. Was this past summer warmer than normal with temps in the 90s here? Yes, but I have been in other states where the temps were in excess of 100 on a daily basis for months starting in March. We don't get those kind of sweltering heats here as much because we're a peninsula cooled by water from both sides for the most part. Center of the state is probably a lot warmer than either coast. Bottom line - if you're sick of being a shut-in half of the year, you'll get here and wonder why you didn't leave there sooner.

Quote:
3. We are open to anywhere in the greater Tampa area or south of the bay down in Sarasota/Bradenton, as we have family and friends in both areas. Any insight into which part of the Gulf region would give us more of what we are looking for?
That's going to be dependent on your housing budget. As someone else mentioned, definitely talk to your friends in both areas to get their take on it. With regard to Sarasota/Bradenton, the best area is one with access to Lakewood Ranch schools. A lot of newer communities north of Lakewood Ranch going up, too, east of I-75. Builder developments so they're like their own private communities, most family-friendly. Not sure what the best areas in Tampa itself are.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:01 AM

286 posts, read 100,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
I think you'll be just fine despite what some would say on here. There are plenty of job opportunities to be had at that range and higher, you just need to look. Sites like Indeed will allow you to funnel out lower paying positions. Also, I'd recommend researching local companies as not all companies use the job boards. Did you know that companies like Foot Locker, Bealls (Florida-based retail chain similar to a Kohl's), Boar's Head, etc. all have offices in Bradenton? Check their career pages for postings they might have. Tampa has things like Bloomin' Brands and tons of others. Don't let the naysayers dissuade you. If you no longer want to be a teacher, good for you! There's nothing that says you can't move into HR or Corporate Training roles and I would actually encourage you to apply for those types of roles if they interest you because your teaching background and education would actually make you a good fit.

Your quality of life will definitely improve in that respect along with your mention in later posts of the summer heat not being a bother to you. I think people tend to overdo it on a lot of these C-D posts. Does it get hot in the summer? Yes. But it gets hot in the summer most everywhere. It's always going to be relative to the rest of your temperatures and over time your body does acclimate and your blood changes. I am sad that I have had to wear jeans instead of shorts the past few days because of temps in the 50s and 60s and I grew up in the Midwest where it's been 100 degrees cooler and they're canceling school due to cold. I remember similar things 20 years ago. We left there after back-to-back winters of over one hundred inches of snow. Was this past summer warmer than normal with temps in the 90s here? Yes, but I have been in other states where the temps were in excess of 100 on a daily basis for months starting in March. We don't get those kind of sweltering heats here as much because we're a peninsula cooled by water from both sides for the most part. Center of the state is probably a lot warmer than either coast. Bottom line - if you're sick of being a shut-in half of the year, you'll get here and wonder why you didn't leave there sooner.

That's going to be dependent on your housing budget. As someone else mentioned, definitely talk to your friends in both areas to get their take on it. With regard to Sarasota/Bradenton, the best area is one with access to Lakewood Ranch schools. A lot of newer communities north of Lakewood Ranch going up, too, east of I-75. Builder developments so they're like their own private communities, most family-friendly. Not sure what the best areas in Tampa itself are.
Your body acclimates a bit, but I don't believe your blood changes or anything. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

It is very hot in Florida. And it will likely test you when it is still steaming in October/November. I think it is better than way up North (Probably better than CT). But I think most places in the mid south region (North Carolina, TN, North GA) have better weather overall. Totally a personal preference though.

I think people tend to be more cautious on the Florida forums with their recommendations because our state has a history of attracting people who stay a few months, decide they didn't think about their move enough, and then move back home. I don't think it is a doom and gloom scenario to suggest people think openly about their move instead of making an emotional decision because they are cold.

If someone can find a good job, I think it is an awesome place to live. There is a ton to do and there are a lot of nice people around here. However, I don't think it is a "cheaper" alternative to a lot of places up North, as people suggest as a reason for moving. And I think that there are many other cities/regions in the south that are just as nice or nicer, but since Florida is viewed as a "destination" state, people tend to overlook these places.

You definitely raise a lot of good points, though.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:11 PM

My apologies - no, your blood doesn't actually physically change. I meant it in the vein (haha) of acclimating as you suggest, that your blood "changes" in perception to the temperature around you. Growing up we always mocked the people in warmer climates who thought 60 degrees was too cold. Now we are those people.

As kombuchaluchador pointed out, it really comes down to the individual - if you're someone who is wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the middle of winter up north because you're "too hot" you should definitely not move to Florida. On the other hand, if you're someone who carries along a jacket in Las Vegas because the air conditioning is too cold for you, you'll probably do just fine here compared to the person who runs hot.

I agree that a number of people end up here without fully thinking it through. Someone on here made an entertaining video that showcases the type of person who should definitely reconsider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Oh, and about the earlier mozzarella talk - I realized that perhaps that individual was referring to the appetizer instead of just plain cheese. If that's the case, you'll probably find rather limited options outside of NY/NJ or any other heavy-Italian population unfortunately. There are places around the country where you can actually get the block and not just sticks, but it's going to be more limited than what you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or