U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,469 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to move to the Tampa area from the greater Hartford, Connecticut area in the near future. Just for reference, my wife and I are in our late 20's/early 30's and don't have any kids, although we would be looking to start a family in the near future. We both grew up in the Northeast (me in Northwest CT and my wife in the greater Springfield, MA area) and have never lived anywhere else. We really enjoy an active lifestyle and want an area with nice parks, beaches, tennis courts, golf courses, etc. I am looking for some insight on a couple of issues that we are grappling with before making the ultimate decision to move:

1. The job market --> How is the job market in the Tampa area? My background is in Education, I have been a teacher in a CT public high school for the past 8 years. One of the primary reasons for our move would be so that I can leave the field of Education. I have zero interest in teaching in Florida (or anywhere for that matter!) and would love to find a job in perhaps Human Resources or Corporate Training and Development in the Tampa area. The job market in Connecticut right now is absolutely terrible right now, so the number of jobs in these fields in CT seems extremely limited. From having researched online job sites, it seems like there are many, many more options in the Tampa area than in CT. I have a Bachelor's degree in history/political science from a solid college in the Northeast and a Master's degree in Education from an Ivy League university. What would you predict my chances of finding a decent paying (50k+) job outside of Education would be?

2. Quality of life --> Another primary reason for our move would be to improve the quality of our lives. CT is a great place and will always be home to me, but it is becoming increasingly more impossible to live due to extremely burdensome taxes and expenses. However, my wife and I would be looking for a nice community with good schools, a nice community feel, and activities for families to do (good youth sports programs, parks, beaches, etc.) that is safe. Any recommendations where we might find these components?

3. We are open to anywhere in the greater Tampa area or south of the bay down in Sarasota/Bradenton, as we have family and friends in both areas. Any insight into which part of the Gulf region would give us more of what we are looking for?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:04 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,496,950 times
Hi, you will no doubt hear almost immediately how dreadful the school systems are here in Florida, they certainly are not the top end of lists for the country. 26th in the nation with a C grade overall on edweek.org - which is not a worry for you if you plan to leave education but maybe you would find it a concern for the coming children. You would need to get a qualification in HR if you want a serious job anywhere in that field, there are some organizations where you could maybe utilize your previous experience, I am thinking Head Start programs. There are good schools around the bay area of Tampa, both sides, in pinellas and hillsborough, I have and know many children who have come out of there very well and are now successful adults in their early 20s. Lots of safe areas and gorgeous beaches, parks and lots of outdoor activity. about 50 courses for golf around the area, municipal and private and very fancy schmancy clubs too. extra curricular activities for children in just about any field of activity or sport - for when they reach that stage. It will be so completely different to CT but folks from there do buy down here often as second homes or for retirement. Salaries are less, cost of living is not the lowest any more, (insurance/food/utilities and housing is pretty expensive too compared to a few years back.. Good luck, and as you have friends here already in both this area and Sarasota, I would start with picking their brains too, if they have been there a while.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:03 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,235,347 times
Plus the weather is hell most of the time.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Plus the weather is hell most of the time.
To me the weather is a wash. I understand the Florida summer is tough, I've been there a few times in July and August and it's definitely hot and humid. But, just for some perspective, we're currently getting a foot of snow and ice in CT and it's supposed to be a high 3 degrees on Monday with wind chills at -20. Winter is brutal here and just like most Floridians stay in the AC during the heat of summer, we can't really do much outside in CT from December through the beginning of April because of the cold and snow. No place is perfect in regards to weather, and every negative thing someone brings up about Florida's heat, I can equalize it with a negative thing about Connecticut's cold.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:59 PM

289 posts, read 101,612 times
Hey, yeah there's a lot going on in Tampa! Pretty cool place to be!

With your level of education, I would imagine that you would have a pretty easy time finding a job.

The other thing that people will mention here is a relatively low pay scale, especially in comparison to the cost of living. If you can find a decent job, go for it. It's a great place to be with a relatively low tax burden (if you can find a decent job).

I would be remiss if I didn't mention a few other places with lots of opportunities. Nashville is a place with a low tax burden also, and lots of job opportunities, many of which will pay more. Same with Charlotte or Raleigh/ Durham in NC. Or Houston/Austin/Dallas/San Antonio.

I'd say for a corporate trainer, your best bet would be to look at places with more of a corporate influence, Texas cities, Charlotte, or Atlanta. Tampa tends to lag behind many of these places and is more service oriented.

Tampa is totally awesome though and you would not regret the move. People are chill, and there is tons to do. Definitely a nice lifestyle.

The weather you kind of just get used to. You don't have snow, but all of the other places I mentioned typically have little or no snow, especially compared to CT.

Just make sure to do you research on what would benefit you financially. If you decide on the area, we'd love to have you!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,650,733 times
Previous poster nails it - the pay scales for professionals of all types here are significantly lower than where you are. Now I know you'll claim the cost of living in CT is higher, and it most likely is to some extent but it's not a significant difference. Where you'll get nailed here is with insurance (both home and car) and housing. Yes, homes are less expensive here, but the market continues to be hot, driving prices up higher every month, or so it seems. Don't even think about rentals....

Also, being new in a discipline will make it all the more difficult to get a job, since you'll have no experience. With a very active job market here, if you don't have something to make yourself stand out over the other candidates, you'll get ignored. With no experience it will be all the more difficult.

And don't expect to fall back on teaching. Teaching here is a living hell. People are leaving in droves, I kid you not. There is no job security in teaching here because there is no tenure, and the school districts are massive behemoths that have enrollments of upwards of 200,000 students (Hillsborough County, 7th largest in the nation.) Starting salaries are in the low $40k range, and a lot of people are teaching out of field because of the difficulty getting certificated.

Tread carefully.

RM

Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 PM

758 posts, read 294,357 times
Good luck in your research.

One thing to consider is to reimagine you career path.

You are young enough and some industries are facing a crunch as the boomers retire.

You could take you knowledge of the education field and get into a variey of sales jobs ( i.e. Josten’s, educational supplies, even some insurance companies have specialized divisons that sell and service to GS, HS, Universities etc.)

That is a leap for some but if you have the skills you can make multples of your CT salary.

The county has this resource

Pasco County Job and Volunteer Opportunities | Pasco County, FL - Official Website

With family near you, perhaps you can rent a place from them as you find the position and make it grow. It would be tough to buy or even rent if you dont have a paying position while you look for a place

If you are up to it you can even look into 1st responder opportunites ( sorry, showing my bias for FD/Pd here :-)

https://pascosheriff.com/careers/

You did not mention your wife’s background so there may be plenty she would gravitate too.

Good luck getting out of the Nutmeg state!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I appreciate your input. All of the things you brought up are important things for us to consider before moving.

Florida cost of living is absolutely cheaper, that's not an issue worth even debating. We would stand to save 20K+ plus per year by moving to Florida on property taxes, car taxes, and income tax alone, let alone cheaper utilities rates (CT has highest utilities rates and gas prices in the country). The average home in West Hartford, CT has property taxes that are more than double that in a town like Palm Harbor, FL. Not to mention what you can buy for 300k... look at Realtor or Zillow if you don't believe me. I know that car insurance is a little bit higher in Florida, but Connecticut has the fourth highest average premium rates in the country, so it's not like it's exactly cheap here. Not to mention the current state of Connecticut's economic outlook and future are somewhat cloudy, putting it mildly. From a financial standpoint, it 100% makes sense to move to Florida.

It sounds like maybe my best bet is to try and get hooked with a job recruiting agency or headhunter in Tampa. Does anyone have any experience with headhunters in Tampa? Any recommendations? Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,650,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE4586 View Post
It sounds like maybe my best bet is to try and get hooked with a job recruiting agency or headhunter in Tampa. Does anyone have any experience with headhunters in Tampa? Any recommendations? Thanks again!
I can't speak for other industries, but in the IT business unless you have some really specialized skills with no experience you're not going to find a headhunter that would touch you. If you're not marketable as-is, their ability to place you is pretty lousy. Since that's how they make their money it's not in their best interest to represent someone they can't place....

If you're bent on a career change, do it there or get some experience elsewhere before you come here (or go anywhere else, for that matter.) Your ability to land a decent job with no experience will be a major hindrance on finding employment, or you'll be seriously underemployed. The number of people around here that I know who are underemployed is pretty staggering. Not sure whether that's this market or it's just that way everywhere these days.

RM

Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM

157 posts, read 141,753 times
I am also living in CT and just this past weekend the wife and I were discussing a job transfer to Tampa I just have some concerns and they are little things like food Can you get good Mozzarella ,Pizza, etc etc Also I am a big Baseball fan who loves Mets I know Tampa has the Rays and Spring training home for the Yankees but are there different Baseball fan base living in Tampa besides Rays and Yankees? Again these are silly concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or