U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 417 times

Advertisements

https://clck.ru/F6HCo
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 04:26 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,243,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Roadtrips_22M View Post
well i did look up the damage of Hurricane Charley in Orlando Florida. almost all the bad damage was to the trailer parks and mobile homes (those places never stand a chance against any kind of hurricane).

but the normal houses didn't seem to sustain hardly any damage, except for trees falling on them and the fences being torn down.

but another thing is, im pretty sure a lot of the houses have been upgraded to withstand stronger winds. I was thinking more about apartment buildings than houses to be honest. if a roof is secured down properly with hurricane bolts it shouldn't blow away.

But over all, it depends on how well the homes are constructed. I've heard of houses being destroyed by 'tropical storms' but they weren't in the USA...

what about in Ocala?
Still be ripped apart bart. No bolts in the world would safe a roof with 200mph+ winds

Old 01-26-2019, 10:57 PM

93 posts, read 48,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Still be ripped apart bart. No bolts in the world would safe a roof with 200mph+ winds
*Except for one Apartment building in Joplin Missouri which was in the direct path of an F5 tornado back in 2011 which was still intact when the tornado passed over it... it had it's roof fascinated down with hurricane bolts.

Also, im very doubtful a hurricane would still be that strong by the time it arrived in Ocala.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:30 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,243,116 times
Quote:
*Except for one Apartment building in Joplin Missouri which was in the direct path of an F5 tornado back in 2011 which was still intact when the tornado passed over it... it had it's roof fascinated down with hurricane bolts.

Also, im very doubtful a hurricane would still be that strong by the time it arrived in Ocala.
Naders are odd things. They hop around and jump up missing a house here and there. Not the same as a cane jane.

If you took my worst case cane with winds of 185mph and gust to 220mph nothing in the state nate would be safe. And our day is coming sooner than anyone can dream of. Been since 1921 and this is how i will die cause if i lose it all the gun comes out and i do myself in.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:36 PM

461 posts, read 362,397 times
Quote:
Actually with Hurricanes it's not the wind speed you need to be worried about.
It's the storm surge that you have to be afraid of because that's what causes the most damage.

Most houses in Florida are built to with-stand hurricane winds. But the storm surge is what destroys everything. If you live out of the storm surge zones, you're pretty safe from hurricanes if your house is properly constructed.
I loved your video. You're not 75% correct though. Yeah a storm surge is killer but take a hike well out of storm surge zones into southwest Georgia to see what buzz saw hurricane Michael has done. It ain't pretty. You are are hung up with the biggest killer in a hurricane the storm surge, yet cat 5 Andrew had hardly none. Cat 4 charley did a whole lot of hurt with little surge. A cat 4 or 5 does incredible destruction well inland. Research 1989 hugo or 2005 Ivan.
Most new homes can handle winds better, but then the majority can't build fortress to withstand brutal forces of nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or