U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:32 AM

67 posts, read 49,618 times

Advertisements

The Volunteer Model is simply not working and a few of us homeowners are interested in the potential of a Management Company that would work with us as an advisory board. We are in Pinellas County, 250 +/- single family residences. No common area to speak of (a median and a sign); currently paying ridiculously low annual fee (under $100 per household).
We are seeking this route for what we hope would be a subjective, even and sensible enforcement of our covenants. It just does not work for neighbors to govern neighbors, either due to discomfort in approaching someone about their transgressions, or the application of favoritism.
I am working my way through a list of companies I found in an internet search, looking for reviews and at #4 out of six, all I have seen is bad reviews. Mostly based on poor communication - unanswered calls, no response to requests for important paperwork. NOT a happy picture. I don't feel that a firm hand in enforcement is a BAD thing, it is what we need.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,537 posts, read 3,652,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBSouth View Post
The Volunteer Model is simply not working and a few of us homeowners are interested in the potential of a Management Company that would work with us as an advisory board. We are in Pinellas County, 250 +/- single family residences. No common area to speak of (a median and a sign); currently paying ridiculously low annual fee (under $100 per household).
We are seeking this route for what we hope would be a subjective, even and sensible enforcement of our covenants. It just does not work for neighbors to govern neighbors, either due to discomfort in approaching someone about their transgressions, or the application of favoritism.
I am working my way through a list of companies I found in an internet search, looking for reviews and at #4 out of six, all I have seen is bad reviews. Mostly based on poor communication - unanswered calls, no response to requests for important paperwork. NOT a happy picture. I don't feel that a firm hand in enforcement is a BAD thing, it is what we need.
Thanks
Would you be willing to post a list of their names?

I ask because I've been through the same with our community and might have some experience with one of the firms. There are few, if any, management companies that end up being good and maintaining their interest in your community. Most we have found over the years lose interest in you after they've signed you up - especially if you're a community with minimal needs like yours (ours is much the same, about 265 single family homes and no common areas.)

We have a wonderful management company now, but they're very local and probably wouldn't be interested in a community as far away as Pinellas. I could ask them if you like. PM me if you want.

RM

Old 01-27-2019, 12:11 PM

1,237 posts, read 555,146 times
Quote:
Thanks
I don't live in Florida but I can tell you they are all bad. I mean we have looked and looked and looked and it is just terrible. They just take our money and do the bear minimum.

The first time we chose one they came to us and we did no research. They sucked.

The second time we chose one we did an exhaustive search, even going to the registry of deeds to find out what the other condos in our area used. We interviewed several, we called references, we went to the condos they claimed to manage and looked... same result.

At this point we are considering doing a hybrid.

Hiring a bookkeeper to do all accounting functions.

Hiring a maintenance person to do all maintenance or help us hire maintenance.

The Board would do everything else.. including all communications / anything that could be done with a computer.

My property manger does stuff like flat out refusing to issue violations of the rules. Typically people call him up and yell at him and so he refuses to do it. When when ask him about it he says, oh I thought i did that... right on top of it... but it never happens.

When I retire from my job (with a pension) I have considered starting a property management firm just to put them all our of business. I could under cut them at every turn.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Would you be willing to post a list of their names?

I ask because I've been through the same with our community and might have some experience with one of the firms. There are few, if any, management companies that end up being good and maintaining their interest in your community. Most we have found over the years lose interest in you after they've signed you up - especially if you're a community with minimal needs like yours (ours is much the same, about 265 single family homes and no common areas.)

We have a wonderful management company now, but they're very local and probably wouldn't be interested in a community as far away as Pinellas. I could ask them if you like. PM me if you want.

RM
Hi MortonR,

Yes, definitely here are the ones I have looked up so far:

1) West Coast - while there were reviews praising some staff, the complaint of poor communication and overworked staff was a common thread.

2) Castle Group

3) Alliant Association Management

4) Associa Gulf Coast (the negative comments on this company came from a post on this forum - but there were glowing reviews on their website - of course!)

I could not find any reviews or comments on:

PMI JCM Realty Group; KB Management Services Group; Garrison Property Services.

Thank you!!

Old 01-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post

My property manger does stuff like flat out refusing to issue violations of the rules. Typically people call him up and yell at him and so he refuses to do it. When when ask him about it he says, oh I thought i did that... right on top of it... but it never happens. Hmmmm, sounds familiar!!

When I retire from my job (with a pension) I have considered starting a property management firm just to put them all our of business. I could under cut them at every turn.
And then move to Florida, please!!

Old 01-27-2019, 02:49 PM

1,402 posts, read 2,497,337 times
I live in a HOA like this, have served on the board and it is frankly impossible to make people do things, because the minimal amount of HOA funds would be gone in the first attorney driven enforcement, (as you cannot make people do the right thing).
At one point our HOA was threatened with a legal suit for harassment and they backed off. I would add that I insisted on insurance for members of board, for liability, and then resigned when board decided after all it was not needed. The HOA has placed liens on properties that have not done things, but they just sit there until a property is sold and that could be years, and if its a yard that is not being attended to, well you know that will just continue to the distress of the neighbors. The same board members hang in year after year because no one wants to be on the board, and nothing happens. Our HOA fees (under $50 and voluntary even though the rules and regs are not) do not cover anything really and this years HOA meeting was so poorly attended a quorum was not there to vote on any changes, including increasing the fee by a mere $10. A management company is going to want to see a decent income to do any of this work, and our HOA could not cover that in the annual fees. At this point our HOA really not doing any kind of job.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,537 posts, read 3,652,330 times
Quote:
Hi MortonR,

1) West Coast - while there were reviews praising some staff, the complaint of poor communication and overworked staff was a common thread.

2) Castle Group

4) Associa Gulf Coast (the negative comments on this company came from a post on this forum - but there were glowing reviews on their website - of course!)

Thank you!!
Only one I know of is Associa. Avoid like the plague. After the honeymoon was over they wouldn't give us the time of day. When we changed to a new property manager we had to threaten legal action to get our records, despite there being a legislative requirement for them to provide them to us within a specified period of time after we terminated the contract.

RM

Old 01-27-2019, 05:21 PM
KPB

1,428 posts, read 911,957 times
After reading through this I'm reminded why I choose not to live in a HOA.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:40 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,555,521 times
^^^^ plus 1

Old 01-29-2019, 04:16 PM

25,787 posts, read 38,999,165 times
Quote:
Hi MortonR,

2) Castle Group

Thank you!!
I can say that the negative reviews on # 4 are all true and at least communities I dealt with switched away from #4. Currently we deal with #4 for one of our own investment properties and emails take so long to be answered or stay unanswered. Managers donít even include their phone number and company name underneath their emails, which to me is all telling. At #4 the issue is not due to one or a few managers but the entire company is horrible to deal with. Stay away from them.

#2 was a nightmare too but later we found out it was the manager for the community who was a nightmare, and when he was gone things went better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or