U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:47 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,650,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronm80 View Post
If you are willing to consider Pasco county, Land O Lakes and Trinity would be good choices. Mitchell High School in Trinity is excellent, and you will be much closer to beaches. Land O Lakes is very affordable and has two great high schools. Land O Lakes high school has an International Baccalaureate program that is top notch. We are from a more rural area in Ohio, and we found Pasco county to be a much easier transition for us. The population density is extreme in both Pinellas and Hillborough counties. You can still find a few open areas (with cows grazing) in Pasco county.
Trinity will be just as bad as far as population density in a matter of a few years. I know that area well, and have watched the SR54 corridor evolve from being cattle ranches to massive development in just the last five years. What was once open ranch land is now almost contiguous development from SR19 to I-75

As with every transplant that considers the area, everyone wants proximity to the beaches. However, once they get here and settle in, visiting the beaches rarely becomes a priority. Life is very similar to wherever you came from as far as work, family and day-to-day living. Local residents aren't going to Busch Gardens, the beaches or Disney every weekend.

Due to the significant growth in Trinity and surrounding areas, I also doubt that the OP can find a home to meet the requirements of their budget range. If I recall correctly, they're looking to spend $300k or less. That narrows down the possibilities in Trinity significantly, if not totally eliminating them.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,235,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Trinity will be just as bad as far as population density in a matter of a few years. I know that area well, and have watched the SR54 corridor evolve from being cattle ranches to massive development in just the last five years. What was once open ranch land is now almost contiguous development from SR19 to I-75

As with every transplant that considers the area, everyone wants proximity to the beaches. However, once they get here and settle in, visiting the beaches rarely becomes a priority. Life is very similar to wherever you came from as far as work, family and day-to-day living. Local residents aren't going to Busch Gardens, the beaches or Disney every weekend.

Due to the significant growth in Trinity and surrounding areas, I also doubt that the OP can find a home to meet the requirements of their budget range. If I recall correctly, they're looking to spend $300k or less. That narrows down the possibilities in Trinity significantly, if not totally eliminating them.

RM
It was not bad in 2008 going to Gunn. But over the years they kept adding lights and within the last 5 years tons of new homes. Every light is not timed right and stops you. Glad i never drive on 54 anymore. If they wanna spend less than 300k just drive west 5 miles and they can buy homes for under 70k all they want.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 AM

77 posts, read 43,401 times
Quote:
If you are willing to consider Pasco county, Land O Lakes and Trinity would be good choices. Mitchell High School in Trinity is excellent, and you will be much closer to beaches. Land O Lakes is very affordable and has two great high schools. Land O Lakes high school has an International Baccalaureate program that is top notch. We are from a more rural area in Ohio, and we found Pasco county to be a much easier transition for us. The population density is extreme in both Pinellas and Hillborough counties. You can still find a few open areas (with cows grazing) in Pasco county.
Thanks for the advice! We had considered those areas, however, they are a little too far out for what we want....and a little too rural. Yes, we come from a rural town, but we want a change. The only thing we have here is a Walmart...haha....the closest big mall is an hour away. I do like the idea of being not too far from Tampa, beaches, malls, restaurants, etc....but maybe without being RIGHT IN the city. Also, my husband is paranoid of sink holes.......so, after he read about the big sink hole that sucked someone in around Land O Lakes, he wont consider that area. I know, ridiculous....they could happen anywhere, but...🤷*♀️

Old 02-10-2019, 09:01 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slscott93 View Post
Thanks for the advice! We had considered those areas, however, they are a little too far out for what we want....and a little too rural. Yes, we come from a rural town, but we want a change. The only thing we have here is a Walmart...haha....the closest big mall is an hour away. I do like the idea of being not too far from Tampa, beaches, malls, restaurants, etc....but maybe without being RIGHT IN the city. Also, my husband is paranoid of sink holes.......so, after he read about the big sink hole that sucked someone in around Land O Lakes, he wont consider that area. I know, ridiculous....they could happen anywhere, but...🤷*♀️
Trinity where I Live is not Rural anymore...Sprouts is being built, michaels, Ulta restaurants, outdoor Mall In the 17 months we are here The Growth is just unreal...This area will be another Pinellas County... I already see the growth exploding, and with that comes traffic and growing pains...and This Coast has many areas with Sink Holes, not just Pasco County....

Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Trinity where I Live is not Rural anymore...Sprouts is being built, michaels, Ulta restaurants, outdoor Mall In the 17 months we are here The Growth is just unreal...This area will be another Pinellas County... I already see the growth exploding, and with that comes traffic and growing pains...and This Coast has many areas with Sink Holes, not just Pasco County....let me add the citrus mall is 20 minutes from here and we always eat in Palm Harbor and Clearwater, we are near Tarpon Springs so we eat there too...

Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 PM

21 posts, read 23,415 times
Quote:

If your husband is extremely concerned about sink holes, then you should avoid the Tampa area all together. Every area around Tampa is prone to sink hole activity. I mentioned Trinity because you said you want to be close to beaches with budget around $300,000. You will not find any 4 bedroom homes in Pinellas county for $300,000 unless it is in an area where you would not like to live. You can still find plenty of 4 bedroom homes in the trinity area for $300,000. Yes, it is growing rapidly, but all of the once rural areas in Pasco county north of Tampa (Trinity, Odessa, LOL, Wesley Chapel) are growing rapidly. You can still see plenty of cows and open land between Trinity and Odessa, so it is still somewhat rural in my book. New home sales are starting to slow down a little compared to previous (off the chart) sales rates. We are due for another stock market crash and recession in the next couple years, which will further slow development just like the 2008-2012 time frame.

Yes, the Bloomingdale and Fish Hawk areas are nice, but you will be an hour or more away from all of the beaches. The traffic is brutal along I-75, I-4, and 60. You will have plenty of strip malls, chain restaurants, and big box stores in the area. But, you will not want to fight the traffic very often to go into the inner portions of Tampa.

My advice would be to narrow down your wish list to a few priorities. If you want beaches, stay on the west side of Tampa. If you want slightly rural, but still connected to everything and developing, go with far east Hillsborough county or central Pasco county. If you want shopping and chain stores, choose Wesley Chapel area near new outlet malls at intersection of 54/56 and I-75. If you want big city stuff and nightlife, find a place closer to center of Tampa (although budget will be an issue). If you want proximity to both Tampa and Disney, choose Lakeland area.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,650,733 times
Quote:
Yes, the Bloomingdale and Fish Hawk areas are nice, but you will be an hour or more away from all of the beaches. The traffic is brutal along I-75, I-4, and 60. You will have plenty of strip malls, chain restaurants, and big box stores in the area. But, you will not want to fight the traffic very often to go into the inner portions of Tampa.
You obviously don't know this area well. Downtown Tampa, even during rush hour, is barely a 40 minute drive. If you're outside of the peak times, it's 30 minutes. I do it daily, and from Bloomingdale East to the center of downtown is 30 minutes each way courtesy of the Selmon Crosstown Expressway.

Trinity has plenty of strip malls, chain restaurants and big box stores as well and it's getting worse, as is the congestion due to the massive amount of development going on in that area.

Again, I posit that everyone who comes here wants to go to the "beaches". After they've gotten settled in and the thrill wears off, that's rarely a priority. Better to be close to schools, and recreational activities than the beaches.

RM

Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Yes, we would like to be close to the beaches but realize that is hard because of our budget (which we could go up as high as 325-330,000 and good schools). I know everyone says that they will go to the beach all the time and then they dont. But we will as much as we can. We spent many years in Hampton roads VA and went to the beach ALOT! We love spending time at the beach, on the water, etc. we used to have a boat and went out on that a lot too. But, our top priority is good schools....so that may mean we need to go without some other things wed like. If we are going to be far from the beaches, we like the idea of the Valrico/Bloomingdale area because there seems to be a lot there (its growing) and, although its fsr from the beaches, its central to Clearwater beaches AND Anna Maria Island/Siesta Key beaches (we LOVE AMI!). But, if we could find something in Palm Harbor, we really like that area too....and it has good schools. So, those are basically the two areas weve narrowed it down to. Weve also considered Seminole because of proximity to beach and good schools but its pricey and you dont get much house/yard for your money.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks again everyone for the advice. Yes, we would like to be close to the beaches but realize that is hard because of our budget (which we could go up as high as 325-330,000 and good schools). I know everyone says that they will go to the beach all the time and then they dont. But we will as much as we can. We spent many years in Hampton roads VA and went to the beach ALOT! We love spending time at the beach, on the water, etc. we used to have a boat and went out on that a lot too. But, our top priority is good schools....so that may mean we need to go without some other things wed like. If we are going to be far from the beaches, we like the idea of the Valrico/Bloomingdale area because there seems to be a lot there (its growing) and, although its fsr from the beaches, its central to Clearwater beaches AND Anna Maria Island/Siesta Key beaches (we LOVE AMI!). But, if we could find something in Palm Harbor, we really like that area too....and it has good schools. So, those are basically the two areas weve narrowed it down to. Weve also considered Seminole because of proximity to beach and good schools but its pricey and you dont get much house/yard for your money.
We are close to palm harbor, 35-40 min to clearwater...45 min to our son in st pete...Trinity is very up and coming with tremendous growth, and you can find a very nice newer house and lower propterty taxes....Car insurance, home insurance and property taxes are lower than Hillsboro and pinellas counties...Schools are good here too from what my neighbors tell us...

Good Luck

Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 PM

Thanks! Ill definitely check out that area too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or