U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 3,855 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I am looking for general advice about tampa as a person from Pennsylvania moving for a job. The job is at a central location, right next to the international airport in tampa. I am a 32 yr old Male single professional. My connudrum is trying to figure out if I should commute across the bay from st pete or stay in tampa and what neighborhoods are good/safe/fun. How is the traffic across the bay bridges during rush hour? Where do young single professionals typically go? Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 03:28 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,650,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamarco View Post
Hello everyone

I am looking for general advice about tampa as a person from Pennsylvania moving for a job. The job is at a central location, right next to the international airport in tampa. I am a 32 yr old Male single professional. My connudrum is trying to figure out if I should commute across the bay from st pete or stay in tampa and what neighborhoods are good/safe/fun. How is the traffic across the bay bridges during rush hour? Where do young single professionals typically go? Any advice would be great!
Tampa. The commute across the bay would take two hours out of your day.

Downtown (Channelside) or South Tampa/Hyde Park, if you can afford them.

RM

Old 02-24-2019, 04:36 PM

2 hours?? Is there that much traffic?!

Old 02-24-2019, 04:56 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,235,347 times
Quote:
More bad traffic than you can dream about.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yup.

Figure on an hour each way depending on where you're going in Pinelllas County. And that's if there are no wrecks or other disturbances.

RM

Old 02-24-2019, 06:50 PM

Do both of you live in the area? I figured it was more like 20 minutes to cross 60. Does it just become standstill at rush hour? Does it get better after an hour at least?

Old 02-24-2019, 08:15 PM

32 posts, read 8,487 times
Quote:
Do both of you live in the area? I figured it was more like 20 minutes to cross 60. Does it just become standstill at rush hour? Does it get better after an hour at least?
I've lived in Clearwater for almost 3 years. It would never take 2 hours for that unless there was some major crash/weather event/something weird. I've driven across that 100's of times and it has never taken anywhere near that long.

It did rain so hard during one of the hurricanes that missed us, but we still got the heavy rain, I could hardly see. Even then traffic just went slower than usual, but moved. If you have ever driven in the snow, the rain is nothing.

Drivers are jerks though, you have to learn to be one too in this area. They teach you defensive driving. As I call it "offensive driving" you will need to learn it to drive. If you need to change a lane, put that blinker on and speed up and move. The LONG red lights are annoying, but they actually keep traffic flowing better.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose24 View Post
I've lived in Clearwater for almost 3 years. It would never take 2 hours for that unless there was some major crash/weather event/something weird. I've driven across that 100's of times and it has never taken anywhere near that long.

It did rain so hard during one of the hurricanes that missed us, but we still got the heavy rain, I could hardly see. Even then traffic just went slower than usual, but moved. If you have ever driven in the snow, the rain is nothing.

Drivers are jerks though, you have to learn to be one too in this area. They teach you defensive driving. As I call it "offensive driving" you will need to learn it to drive. If you need to change a lane, put that blinker on and speed up and move. The LONG red lights are annoying, but they actually keep traffic flowing better.
Just to clarify, I was referring to the total amount of time for a daily commute, that is, round trip.

RM

Old 02-24-2019, 09:06 PM

32 posts, read 8,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Just to clarify, I was referring to the total amount of time for a daily commute, that is, round trip.

RM
Yeah maybe 45 min to an hour. I'm from Michigan, it doesn't come to a standstill like Detroit for no reason. There is a TON of traffic, but it moves pretty well. You will have to learn what lane you need to be in or get to... and you will learn that quick.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:05 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,235,347 times
Quote:
60 is not bad most times. Just rush hour can be slow to go bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or