U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:34 PM

105 posts, read 45,963 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to the Riverview area but I'm reading a lot about sinkholes in Hillsborough County. I understand that the worse areas are North of Tampa but I also see there have been quite a few in the Brandon/Riverview area as well.

On the maps I'm looking at it's hard to tell if those are recent or just a total list of reports since records started. What is your opinion of the sinkhole activity in the Riverview area just North of Alafia River? If you're a realtor or someone who deals with properties a lot have you noticed an increase in sinkhole activity there?

I know since Irma there has been a huge increase in sinkhole activity overall around Tampa (110% increase I believe) so just wondering if that area was affected much. We just don't want to buy a house there and then lose our investment and we don't want to spend thousands a year on sinkhole insurance either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 02:43 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,581 posts, read 3,689,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsurf View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to the Riverview area but I'm reading a lot about sinkholes in Hillsborough County. I understand that the worse areas are North of Tampa but I also see there have been quite a few in the Brandon/Riverview area as well.

On the maps I'm looking at it's hard to tell if those are recent or just a total list of reports since records started. What is your opinion of the sinkhole activity in the Riverview area just North of Alafia River? If you're a realtor or someone who deals with properties a lot have you noticed an increase in sinkhole activity there?

I know since Irma there has been a huge increase in sinkhole activity overall around Tampa (110% increase I believe) so just wondering if that area was affected much. We just don't want to buy a house there and then lose our investment and we don't want to spend thousands a year on sinkhole insurance either.
First of all, you're panicking. I'm not sure where you got your stats, and I would be curious to know, but I'm not aware of any such increase in sinkhole activity in the area, and having lived here for over 20 years I think I would have heard about it.

While there has been sinkhole activity in the area, you make it sound as if it's inevitable that one will experience such an event. While I'm no oddsmaker, I think the potential for such is pretty small, especially in this area compared to say, Pasco County.

Also, most maps that depict such activity include things like collapsed septic systems and other such "subsidence" actions - "The data herein represents reported sinkhole activity but may also contain non-karst related subsidence such as collapsed septic systems, water mains, and/or other man-made features."

I just looked at this sinkhole map for the area you're talking about and the level of activity is pretty small in my opinion:

https://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pa...31/f11131z.htm

I'm guessing the likelihood of sustaining damage from a hurricane is far greater than experiencing a sinkhole. The last report that the Florida Department of Emergency Management did in 2013 rated Hillsborough County's risk of sinkholes "low". Much of what you'll see if you do an internet search is companies that do subsidence mitigation, and in the process of doing so, try to frighten people into thinking they're going to be the victim of a sinkhole so they can sell you products or services.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 02-26-2019 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 02:45 PM

19 posts, read 7,670 times
No sinkholes here lol

Old 02-27-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
First of all, you're panicking. I'm not sure where you got your stats, and I would be curious to know, but I'm not aware of any such increase in sinkhole activity in the area, and having lived here for over 20 years I think I would have heard about it.

While there has been sinkhole activity in the area, you make it sound as if it's inevitable that one will experience such an event. While I'm no oddsmaker, I think the potential for such is pretty small, especially in this area compared to say, Pasco County.

Also, most maps that depict such activity include things like collapsed septic systems and other such "subsidence" actions - "The data herein represents reported sinkhole activity but may also contain non-karst related subsidence such as collapsed septic systems, water mains, and/or other man-made features."

I just looked at this sinkhole map for the area you're talking about and the level of activity is pretty small in my opinion:

https://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pa...31/f11131z.htm

I'm guessing the likelihood of sustaining damage from a hurricane is far greater than experiencing a sinkhole. The last report that the Florida Department of Emergency Management did in 2013 rated Hillsborough County's risk of sinkholes "low". Much of what you'll see if you do an internet search is companies that do subsidence mitigation, and in the process of doing so, try to frighten people into thinking they're going to be the victim of a sinkhole so they can sell you products or services.

RM
Does this map show all sinkhole issues ever for the zip code or is it over a certain period of time?

Hillsborough County Property Appraiser > Property Search

Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 AM

Here are a few of the articles:

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../30/192278.htm
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...icane-irma-hit

Old 02-27-2019, 01:54 AM

So I did some research and compared city data # Houses to # sinkholes in each zip code on Hillsborough County Property Appraiser > Property Search

Statistically looks like a pretty small risk. Interesting there is a 20x greater chance to experience a sinkhole on your property in Valrico than Southern Riverview.

zip code # houses # Sinkholes Percent w/Sinkhole
33594 Valrico 13505 95 0.70%
33510 Brandon 11125 47 0.42%
33558 Lutz 9074 25 0.28%
33619 SE Tampa 13392 35 0.26%
33511 Brandon 23443 59 0.25%
33647 New Tamp 25596 53 0.21%
33569 Riverview 10042 10 0.10%
33579 Riverview 10220 6 0.06%
33534 Gibsonton 5388 2 0.04%
33578 Riverview 18970 6 0.03%

Old 02-27-2019, 03:18 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,581 posts, read 3,689,239 times
Exactly. Once you're south of the Alafia River the risk drops significantly because of a change in geology.

Also, those might not all be sinkholes but "subsidence" events.

RM

Old 02-27-2019, 04:04 AM

13,645 posts, read 9,309,786 times
Most of the sink holes are north and west of the area.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:42 AM

21 posts, read 23,976 times
I agree with RM, you are panicking about the sinkholes. From your statistics, there is less than a 1% chance you will be affected by a sinkhole regardless of which location you choose. Sinkholes can happen all around Tampa. Your statistics include Lutz, which is at the north end of Tampa along the Pasco county line where most people would say more sinkholes occur, yet the percentage is still only 0.28%. If you are extremely concerned about sinkholes, you should probably avoid the Tampa area all together.

Except for the couple schools on the east side of Riverview near Fish Hawk, nearly all of the schools in the Riverview area are rated below average for the Tampa area. If you can afford private school, you will be fine. Otherwise, you should consider some other areas, if you are at all concerned with quality schools. If you are coming from the midwest or northeast, nearly all Florida public schools will be subpar compared to the schools up north.

If you find more affordable housing in a suburb like Riverview, there is a reason for that. Yes, it is building up and there are plenty of people moving there, but there are also other factors to consider beyond sinkholes and affordable housing. Historically, Gibsonton was the winter retreat for carnival workers. Not sure how many of them are still there, but I suspect quite a few carnies are still running around Riverview. You can also find VERY affordable housing in Holiday, Port Richey, Hudson, etc., but you would not want to live there with all of the meth heads and crime.

Moral of the story is that you will have to make sacrifices and compromise no matter which location you choose. Don't let sinkholes greatly sway your location decision (unless you were considering Hernando or Pasco county).

Old 03-01-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronm80 View Post
I agree with RM, you are panicking about the sinkholes. From your statistics, there is less than a 1% chance you will be affected by a sinkhole regardless of which location you choose. Sinkholes can happen all around Tampa. Your statistics include Lutz, which is at the north end of Tampa along the Pasco county line where most people would say more sinkholes occur, yet the percentage is still only 0.28%. If you are extremely concerned about sinkholes, you should probably avoid the Tampa area all together.

Except for the couple schools on the east side of Riverview near Fish Hawk, nearly all of the schools in the Riverview area are rated below average for the Tampa area. If you can afford private school, you will be fine. Otherwise, you should consider some other areas, if you are at all concerned with quality schools. If you are coming from the midwest or northeast, nearly all Florida public schools will be subpar compared to the schools up north.

If you find more affordable housing in a suburb like Riverview, there is a reason for that. Yes, it is building up and there are plenty of people moving there, but there are also other factors to consider beyond sinkholes and affordable housing. Historically, Gibsonton was the winter retreat for carnival workers. Not sure how many of them are still there, but I suspect quite a few carnies are still running around Riverview. You can also find VERY affordable housing in Holiday, Port Richey, Hudson, etc., but you would not want to live there with all of the meth heads and crime.

Moral of the story is that you will have to make sacrifices and compromise no matter which location you choose. Don't let sinkholes greatly sway your location decision (unless you were considering Hernando or Pasco county).
Thanks for the advice. I was a little freaked out about them before I found the .gov site and actually did the calculations. Of the above mentioned zip codes which ones have the best schools? We will likely do private schools but still want to be in a a good area and possibly public schools if they are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or