Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 06:03 PM

110 posts, read 187,310 times

Advertisements

Just moved here with a wife and three-year-old, been house hunting, and am rather dismayed by the selection of non-flood zone block homes under $400k near the areas we want to live. The wife and I are trying to decide if living in a highly-walkable community with a lot going on is worth the extra ~$100k for a home. We've looked at some nice homes in less-expensive-but-nice areas, like say, near the Roberts Rec Center (54th and MLKish), but the neighborhood just seems so quiet. For example, we drove by the park there last Saturday and there were *zero* people. Conversely, the Crescent Lake and Coffee Pot parks were brimming with parents and kids. We're from out of state and would like to have ample opportunities to meet other people where we live. That said, we're looking at close to $400k for a place that needs a lot of work there.

Does anyone live in those or similar areas and want to weigh in? Or have you gone through the same deliberations? Any and all feedback appreciated.

And I know there are a million "where should I live" threads out there, but I think they all have different specifics and usually spur some good conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,875,478 times
Location location location. That's the premium people pay for. It's a personal choice. We wanted a non-cookie cutter home in a walkable town to a variety of non-chain restaurants. Gulfport fits the bill for us. We have friends who own farther inland in mundane subdivisions where their car is needed for every errand, going out to eat. They love visiting us so they can park their cars and walk around town, walk out to dinner.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:21 AM

Yeah, we're used to being able to walk to a few things at least - bar, restaurant, grocery store. Gulfport is great; it's just too far from my work in South Tampa. Trying to be closer to the bridge and/or farther north, while staying in St. Pete where family is.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:57 AM

4,417 posts, read 3,782,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurn View Post
Yeah, we're used to being able to walk to a few things at least - bar, restaurant, grocery store. Gulfport is great; it's just too far from my work in South Tampa. Trying to be closer to the bridge and/or farther north, while staying in St. Pete where family is.
You work in South Tampa and are moving to St. Pete? Now there's a nightmare commute. You should be house-hunting in South Tampa, where there's tons of families, some parts are very walkable, and property values are always going up.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
You work in South Tampa and are moving to St. Pete? Now there's a nightmare commute. You should be house-hunting in South Tampa, where there's tons of families, some parts are very walkable, and property values are always going up.
I've made it a few times over the Gandy and it doesn't seem so bad. 30-40 min. I work pretty early.

We're not ruling out S. Tampa though. What areas would you recommend specifically? Non-flood zone, 3/2 homes under $400k, walkable to good things. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:40 AM

17,485 posts, read 38,929,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I have to agree with Sinatras here. I would really recommend looking in South Tampa and avoid that horror commute. It's true, it's expensive and properties are always going up. Location, location, location.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have to agree with Sinatras here. I would really recommend looking in South Tampa and avoid that horror commute. It's true, it's expensive and properties are always going up. Location, location, location.
That bad? I'll be at MacDill AFB. What neighborhoods would you recommend? Haven't been impressed by what I've seen south of Gandy other than Ballast Point, which is almost entirely flood zone AE. Some people have recommended Palma Ceia and Hyde Park but there's not much under $400k in either.

Last edited by BBurn; 02-27-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 10:27 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahwehbenYahweh View Post
South Tampa is nice but far overpriced and full of some a bit weird people, and always has been for 25 years, and too leftist/liberal for most.
It may surprise you that many new transplants seek out liberal and diverse communities, myself included.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It may surprise you that many new transplants seek out liberal and diverse communities, myself included.
He's actually one of the "weirdos". He creates a new fake name/account every day. Here's the running list of his fake account names:

SaraManaMan
Charlie Allnut
InsideNews
Weaponized_Funk
Quentin RD
Ivey Burleson
Marine_Park
YahwehbenYahweh

Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurn View Post
I've made it a few times over the Gandy and it doesn't seem so bad. 30-40 min. I work pretty early.

We're not ruling out S. Tampa though. What areas would you recommend specifically? Non-flood zone, 3/2 homes under $400k, walkable to good things. Thanks.
First of all if you want good housing stock under $400k, neither Northeast St. Pete nor South Tampa are your best options. You have to hit the burbs for that. Pretty much anything in that price range in those areas is gonna be small and need work.

Here is the kind of stuff I would be looking at if I were you and working in South Tampa. Non-flood zone.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...33_rect/15_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...19_rect/15_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...58_rect/15_zm/

Great area full of families.

You can't have it all. You will have to pick what's most important. walkable, or family area, or nice house, or close to work. You cannot have it all unless you can pay over $600k.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...58_rect/15_zm/

Maybe you are one of those people who doesn't mind having two hours of commute every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay