U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:10 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times

Advertisements

Companies are "cheap" here because they CAN be - there is a LOT of competition for jobs not only from our residents, but people wanting to relocate here. There are 100's of applications for every job.

Not saying it's good or right, it's just the way it is. The best paying jobs and benefits are within the government sector. Right now those jobs are hard to come by with all the freezes and layoffs due to tax cutbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 AM

190 posts, read 579,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Companies are "cheap" here because they CAN be - there is a LOT of competition for jobs not only from our residents, but people wanting to relocate here. There are 100's of applications for every job.

Not saying it's good or right, it's just the way it is. The best paying jobs and benefits are within the government sector. Right now those jobs are hard to come by with all the freezes and layoffs due to tax cutbacks.
very true, and i came from up north, and i feel the discrimination on that note. but what people here in Tampa don't understand is: if i could take this weather back home with me, I'd go home... the weather is the only reason I'm here

not my fault i wasn't born in a sub-tropical environment

also, that is why there is NO customer service here. i went to a restaurant the other day and the waitress dropped the bill in my soup and grabbed it out and walked away,, didn't say sorry, and didnt bring me more soup, i had to complain. thats just gross. i guess they pay her less so she isn't good at her job.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 14,749 times

I'm from the UK and was thinking of moving to Tampa with my husband and 2 teenage sons, we have visited Florida on many occasions and had a home in Lake Wales a couple of years ago, do you think Tampa is a good place to live?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM

190 posts, read 579,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldjones View Post
I'm from the UK and was thinking of moving to Tampa with my husband and 2 teenage sons, we have visited Florida on many occasions and had a home in Lake Wales a couple of years ago, do you think Tampa is a good place to live?
its not bad, there are some nice areas, and some nice places right outside of Tampa too... you have a pretty general question.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM

147 posts, read 141,402 times
NO! THats why I created this thread! Look at the crime statistics for Tampa...Higher than Miami! Look at the landscape... spread out...You have to drive long distances to get everywhere.

Not to mention the people, good lord, there is a huge disconnect with the youth in Tampa, both black and white youth talk and act like thugs and speak a wildly perverse, derogatory form of English. Florida has 17 million people and 102,000 prison inmates. THUG culture is rampant in Tampa, both in the trailer park and in the Ghetto.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,615,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiVice1985 View Post
Look at the landscape... spread out...You have to drive long distances to get everywhere.

Not to mention the people, good lord, there is a huge disconnect with the youth in Tampa, both black and white youth talk and act like thugs and speak a wildly perverse, derogatory form of English. THUG culture is rampant in Tampa, both in the trailer park and in the Ghetto.
Pretty exaggerated if you ask me...(Above)

I dont have to go more than a few blocks or a few miles for EVERYTHING in this town(shopping INtl plaza/Westshore Plaza/Hyde Park Village/Neighborhood retail), dining out(same places mentioned above plus SOHO area, Channelside, Ybor City, and again neighborhood mom and pop places), activities(The Forum for concerts, hockey, sports, events; Ray Jay stadium for football-college and pro; biking, hiking, boating, blading all in my neighborhood). I do drive about 30 minutes to the Gulf Beaches, and about 20 minutes to Busch Gardens - I have a season pass, and 0 minutes to work-I work from home-but my offices are less than 10 minutes from me in the Westshore Business District and also Downtown.....

And about the youth in Tampa....I just dont see it, my niece and nephews have lots of friends, and I a freind of mine is a Big Sister, ive joined her on a few events with the youth...i dont see the "thugs" you speak of. Im sure they are around(those girls in Polk County), but doesnt every town have "thugs"?

Last edited by tampaguy03; 04-14-2008 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
its not bad, there are some nice areas, and some nice places right outside of Tampa too... you have a pretty general question.
Just wanted as much info of Tampa and surrounding area as we don't know Tampa at all just wanted to move nearer the coast and enjoy the life style that brings. Need to know about schools my 2 sons are 13 yrs and 15 yrs need info on what grade they will be in for their ages as our school systems are different than yours,my sons are at high school at the moment my oldest who is 15 has one more year left then he will finish and get a job or go on to higher education. All kids leave school and finish their education at between 16 & 17 years old they can go on to higher education if they get good grades in exams. Also looking to buy a business so it will be possible to get a visa to live in the USA. Need to know crime rates is it safe to walk streets at night or not, Wots it like in winter, are people friendly, good community spirit, whatever else info comes to mind would be great to know thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 02:41 PM

Thinking of moving to Florida from the UK where do you suggest we live, family of four, two teenage sons love the beach so anywhere near would be good, we have visited florida on many occasions and once owned a home in Lake Wales we love the gulf coast and we are looking to buy a business and info on good schools my sons are 13 & 15 yrs old. Stores & Shopping need to be accessable any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,615,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldjones View Post
Just wanted as much info of Tampa and surrounding area as we don't know Tampa at all just wanted to move nearer the coast and enjoy the life style that brings. Need to know about schools my 2 sons are 13 yrs and 15 yrs need info on what grade they will be in for their ages as our school systems are different than yours,my sons are at high school at the moment my oldest who is 15 has one more year left then he will finish and get a job or go on to higher education. All kids leave school and finish their education at between 16 & 17 years old they can go on to higher education if they get good grades in exams. Also looking to buy a business so it will be possible to get a visa to live in the USA. Need to know crime rates is it safe to walk streets at night or not, Wots it like in winter, are people friendly, good community spirit, whatever else info comes to mind would be great to know thanks
Here is one person's opinion of Tampa Bay area with comments:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...t-city-me.html

Crime Rates:TAMPA FLORIDA USA municipal government - Tampa Police Department

Its safe to walk in some areas of Tampa, and not too safe to walk in other areas of Tampa.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:59 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
I am curious how you know about Tampa's youth? I surely haven't seen what you are describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay