U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:47 AM

350 posts, read 252,645 times

Advertisements

If you are either beginning your teaching career or want to relocate to fantastic Florida, HC is hiring now for positions beginning now or for the 2019-20 school year.

My husband and I relocated here from southern Indiana and we are finishing our 11th year in the district. We have enjoyed and felt supported from Administration every year. Sure, there are challenges, but there are challenges in every job.

The District is looking for high energy people to work in the newly named Achievement Schools. I was recruited from one of my former asp, but turned it down because my present principal recruited my husband from another school and we are teaching in the same school and loving it. This is my FORTY FIFTH year in either being an administrator for or teaching kids with special needs so I feel comfortable in saying there are good and bad aspects in every job, but teaching in Tampa, as well in our previous positions, have been very positive. If interested, go to the District's website. As in all over the US, teachers aren't valued by the state legislations. You won't make the money that you are worth, but we found the cost of living was comparable to southern Indiana and there is no personal state sales tax.

One of the other teachers in my school is going to that school with a 12,000 yearly raise.

And I won't even mention the FANTASTIC WEATHER!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 06:15 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,548 posts, read 3,656,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
As in all over the US, teachers aren't valued by the state legislations. You won't make the money that you are worth, but we found the cost of living was comparable to southern Indiana and there is no personal state sales tax.

One of the other teachers in my school is going to that school with a 12,000 yearly raise.
Let's have both sides of the situation here...

The current state of affairs in Hillsborough County School District are horrible, if not worse. The administration and even the Board doesn't value or respect the staff. Faculty and staff are expected to do "more with less" due to the Board and administration's inability to (continue to) manage the District's finances. Staffing is woefully inadequate, and morale is at an all time low.

I'm not trashing the place - why would the District's attrition rate be at an all time high? That speaks for itself.

The "Achievement Schools" program is one of probably four or five previous programs to try and elevate test scores in (urban) underachieving schools. Every time the District has tried something like this it fails to produce the desired results, they kick nearly everyone to the curb and back into a regular classroom with less money - if those participants haven't already tossed up their hands out of frustration and exited the program. Don't believe me? Look it up.

While I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking into this, I would highly advise that they do their due diligence and search on local media for references to the District and it's Board, as well as the state of it's finances, for the last 3-5 years at minimum.

And do be aware - the "good old boy" network is alive and well in the District, too. Don't play with the "right" people or hitch your professional wagon to the wrong person and you'll go nowhere. Also, there is no tenure. You're on an annual contract, meaning that you can be dismissed or your contract not renewed at the end of the school year for no reason. Teacher's union? Not allowed in Florida due to legislation. The "union" here is toothless and basically drains your wallet for minimal, if any, benefits.

Again, as a former teacher and administrator in this District, I warn anyone who thinks about coming here to do a great deal of research before considering a move. It's a choice you might end up regretting.

Just trying to present the other side of this discussion in the interest of transparency. I would add that for the decade and a half or so I worked for the District, I loved it. However, I played the political game and was well positioned as a result, so I did extremely well both professionally and financially. This is the exception rather than the rule. (I also pulled the plug when I saw things going south, too.)

RM

Old 03-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Yes, my pessimistic friend..... I would have been disappointed had you not responded!

Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, my pessimistic friend..... I would have been disappointed had you not responded!
Hey, no pessimism here, just direct experience from over a decade in the place. People need to know what they're getting into, that's all. If there is something that I stated that is not true, please let me know and I'll correct it. Failure to do so is validation of my points, I believe.

And again, notice that I said I had a great time and enjoyed nearly every minute I was there. I grew professionally and personally through my time with the District and consider it a positive experience. However, I was astute enough to read the tea leaves and know where to go, what to do and with whom. Not everyone will have a similar experience.

It's not all bad, but it's only fair to show both sides as long as the information is valid. At least that way people can make a choice with eyes wide open. You're not going to see the seamy underbelly when you tour a school or speak with a recruiter or administrator.

RM

Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 AM

Just teasing, MortonR. You are correct. Guess we are also politically astute, nothing but positives from our experiences and we came here in 2008 when all @@@@ was breaking loose in the financial world and jobs were not plentiful in the District. We bought a great home in Odessa and it took a few years to have the value come up from what we paid for it...underwater for a couple of years. Best wishes!

Old 03-16-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Just teasing, MortonR. You are correct. Guess we are also politically astute, nothing but positives from our experiences and we came here in 2008 when all @@@@ was breaking loose in the financial world and jobs were not plentiful in the District. We bought a great home in Odessa and it took a few years to have the value come up from what we paid for it...underwater for a couple of years. Best wishes!
Understood.

RM

Old 03-17-2019, 07:49 AM

89 posts, read 36,500 times
Just wanting to discuss the "no tenure" issue - is there a history of arbitrary capricious firings? Any recourse? Nobody wants this but I know nobody wants an ineffective teacher who gets carried for years because they can't be let go.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
Just wanting to discuss the "no tenure" issue - is there a history of arbitrary capricious firings? Any recourse? Nobody wants this but I know nobody wants an ineffective teacher who gets carried for years because they can't be let go.
Not that I'm aware of, however, tenure has been a long standing benefit in education in general to assure continuous employment for people (teachers) who were marginally underemployed. In Florida it used to be that once you had three years as a full time educator your license status changed to "professional educator" and you were tenured. Prior to that your license was conditional, If I recall correctly.

Certainly, I knew of teachers who really needed to be booted, retired or removed form being around children, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Even with tenure you could be booted, All tenure does is assure that there is a procedure for removing someone from the classroom if necessary so it can't be arbitrary or capricious. However, it's a rather onerous undertaking, so administrators rarely used it unless it was absolutely necessary. And of course there were/are actions that can immediately suspend or remove you from the classroom.

RM

Old 03-17-2019, 04:42 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,434,666 times
Trying to hire for 2019-20 when there are about 2,000 vacancies across the state for the current school year...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...ing-positions/

Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 PM

Typically any position filled after January 1st is temporary and the contract ends at the end of the school year, meaning you've got to reapply and/or find a way to secure a position before the end of the school year.

That may have changed due to the current desperation for filling open positions. If not, just remember that you've got to go through all the hoops again to get a position in the fall.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or