Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,663 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

First off thank you for reading my post. Getting right to it. I'm a single father who will be moving with two children ages 13 & 9. I'll be moving from St. Louis, MO to Tampa, FL. I'm interested in getting information about the schools in the area. The areas I'm most interested in are New Tampa, and Wesley Chapel. Mainly because these are the residential areas that I have seen the most. Anyone with good advice on neighborhoods, and recommended elementary and high schools would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,291,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuksinc View Post
Hello to all,

First off thank you for reading my post. Getting right to it. I'm a single father who will be moving with two children ages 13 & 9. I'll be moving from St. Louis, MO to Tampa, FL. I'm interested in getting information about the schools in the area. The areas I'm most interested in are New Tampa, and Wesley Chapel. Mainly because these are the residential areas that I have seen the most. Anyone with good advice on neighborhoods, and recommended elementary and high schools would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day.
Check out Trinity, we were just on the news about how its growth...They are building a new shopping center and 2nd phase is in the works for a beautiful outdoor mall and Restaurants and Movie Theater...

Also my neighbors are happy with the schools....Also look at Land O Lakes...Wesley Chapel is very nice but commuting from there is pretty terrible....

Good Luck

Old 03-20-2019, 01:35 PM

5,909 posts, read 7,246,169 times
Fishhawk Ranch. In a different direction, but some of the very best public schools in the state. If you'r not working from home the location of your work is going to have a significant bearing on where you should look.

RM

Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Some points to ponder =
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...31.ccCgebmuB8U

Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hardly valid from a statistical point of view:

"millions of reviews from students and parents"

This is an easy way to game the system on these review sites, like this one and "Great Schools". I'm not saying the information is wrong - it's just that it's not completely valid when opinion gets into the mix. Notice the demographics of the data - who is going to be the most likely to make statements online about their child's education?

Best place to go from a raw, unbiased data standpoint is the Florida Department of Education and their statistically valid data for school grades. It's based on the performance of the students and nothing else.

Florida School Accountability Reports

RM

Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 AM

26,870 posts, read 43,362,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuksinc View Post
Hello to all,

Have a great day.
You really have no reason to move that far out unless you prefer a far-flung suburb with lots of driving involved on a daily basis. Check out the East Lake-Palm Harbor area just to the NW of Tampa across the Pinellas County line. Cypress Woods Elementary and Brooker Creek Elementary in the top 5% of all FL elementary schools performance-wise and East Lake Middle School is among the Top 50 of it's grade levels in FL. East Lake HS maintains similar excellence ranking within the top 15% of all FL high schools. The East Lake area is wonderful for families as it's well-established and has all kinds of social/recreational activities beyond school such as soccer/softball/baseball/football leagues, swim teams, an amazing ice rink facility with ice skating camps and ice hockey leagues for all ages (not to mention the cool ice rink in the middle of Countryside Mall minutes away), a BMX bike facility and the beautiful beach at Honeymoon Island State Park just 20 minutes away. Most of Downtown Tampa's amenities and workplaces are around 40-45 minutes away (with the worst traffic) so the convenience factor is definitely there versus nearly double that time in rush hour traffic to the northern suburbs which are still building out/getting worse.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...79/school.aspx
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...52/school.aspx
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...80/school.aspx
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...10/school.aspx
https://www.floridastateparks.org/honeymoonisland
http://www.eastlakerecreation.org/
http://tampabayice.com/
https://www.usabmx.com/tracks/1645

Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 AM

I would suggest Fishhawk Ranch which would be similar as far as amenities and schools. Far less traffic and congestion as the built up areas around Eastlake. Easy commute to Tampa and an easy drive to some of the best beaches, such as Anna Maria island.

RM

Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,063,660 times
My question would be where in Tampa, some folks say Tampa and mean Clearwater/St Pete - assume you need to be close to the children's schools as you are a single parent, and therefore commute and distance is pretty critical. If you are working from a home base, not so much. However, if you are working in the centre of Tampa downtown, and live far out, if you suddenly have to pick up a child from school in an emergency, or be there for an after school event, the distance is likely to be an issue over time. Most of the schools are as good as the input from parents and peers, although there are some that really are troublesome and you will find that out quickly off locals/realtors/online research.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Fishhawk Ranch. In a different direction, but some of the very best public schools in the state. If you'r not working from home the location of your work is going to have a significant bearing on where you should look.

RM
Thank you very much. Have a great day.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Hardly valid from a statistical point of view:

"millions of reviews from students and parents"

This is an easy way to game the system on these review sites, like this one and "Great Schools". I'm not saying the information is wrong - it's just that it's not completely valid when opinion gets into the mix. Notice the demographics of the data - who is going to be the most likely to make statements online about their child's education?

Best place to go from a raw, unbiased data standpoint is the Florida Department of Education and their statistically valid data for school grades. It's based on the performance of the students and nothing else.

Florida School Accountability Reports

RM

Thank you and have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: