U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:30 PM

100 posts, read 41,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
54 is no worse than 19 or any other area with exceptional growth...The areas that are undeveloped will be developed so there will not be many other places to live unless you want Rual, which this area used to be...
Letsurf, pinellas county is also so over populated and traffic is herendus as well... Tampa in general has become very congested
I work from home and my wife will be a stay at home mom so I'm hoping we can time our outings to avoid traffic. As long as we stay away from morning and afternoon rush hour is traffic reasonable?

It seems Odessa prices are a little more expensive than Wesley Chapel area so trying to figure out if WC will meet our criteria. Basically we just want a newer home in a nice community, great elementary school, close to shopping, not too far from Tampa. Someone said it was 45 minutes to get to downtown Tampa from WC but Google maps say 26 minutes. Trinity sounds like a good option if we can find a home within our price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,025,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsurf View Post
I don't understand. Can you elaborate?
I was referring to the fact that 54 is very congested, there are days when it is a crawl and if there is an accident it becomes a parking lot. In such an instance, there isn't much in the way of back roads to resort to, because most of the developments along 54 are cul-de-sacs that don't have through streets. However, since you're working from home I guess it won't matter much. Good luck with your house hunting.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,555,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
54 is no worse than 19 or any other area with exceptional growth...The areas that are undeveloped will be developed so there will not be many other places to live unless you want Rual, which this area used to be...
Letsurf, pinellas county is also so over populated and traffic is herendus as well... Tampa in general has become very congested

When you are at the mercy of one road to move you east and west you got a problem. When you live on a road with communities dumping hundreds of cars daily onto it because that's the only exit and entrance out of their development you have a problem. Live in an area with grid streets and you will understand. Its all about choices and having choices on how to leave and come home if one road is congested is priceless.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I was referring to the fact that 54 is very congested, there are days when it is a crawl and if there is an accident it becomes a parking lot. In such an instance, there isn't much in the way of back roads to resort to, because most of the developments along 54 are cul-de-sacs that don't have through streets. However, since you're working from home I guess it won't matter much. Good luck with your house hunting.
Thanks for the explanation. Is it as bad in Wesley Chapel? I feel like everyone here talks about every area of Tampa having terrible traffic. Riverview, terrible traffic and congestion, Tampa, terrible, Odessa, terrible, everywhere terrible lol.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
When you are at the mercy of one road to move you east and west you got a problem. When you live on a road with communities dumping hundreds of cars daily onto it because that's the only exit and entrance out of their development you have a problem. Live in an area with grid streets and you will understand. Its all about choices and having choices on how to leave and come home if one road is congested is priceless.
A BIG Amen to that. And that, right there, is the problem. But people don't want to hear it. Especially the newcomers, because everything is awesome. And there aren't many choices.

Taxpayers in the Tampa Bay area (mainly Hillsborough and Pasco counties) are going to be in for a rude shock in the future. What they're going to find out is that Tallahassee let the developers off the hook for impact fees, so guess who is on the hook for infrastructure costs? And, oh boy, will all those transplants fall in line for the tax assessments. They'll be begging for them, and hot to beggar their neighbors. For the children! It'll be like flies to you know what.

When we moved to the area from South Florida in 2000, even then 54 was not the greatest road to drive, but it was somewhat tolerable. We preferred to use 52 further north if we could. We've been gone from the area for over a year, and made one visit back. Whoo-boy, what a shock.

301 from Wimauma north to Brandon is another doozie with all the developments emptying onto it.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Is it as bad in Wesley Chapel? I feel like everyone here talks about every area of Tampa having terrible traffic. Riverview, terrible traffic and congestion, Tampa, terrible, Odessa, terrible, everywhere terrible lol.
We spent a little time in Wesley Chapel before we moved out of the area over a year ago. Saturdays were horrible along 54. Sundays were OK. This was my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Don't get me wrong, all the places you mention are generally decent places to live, especially for families. The problem is the failure of state and county governments to hold the developers to account to provide necessary infrastructure to handle the load. It was just "Build it and they will come". And come they did!

You're not wrong to target those places for a home purchase. It's not your fault that there has been a massive failure of state and local government planning.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
We spent a little time in Wesley Chapel before we moved out of the area over a year ago. Saturdays were horrible along 54. Sundays were OK. This was my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Don't get me wrong, all the places you mention are generally decent places to live, especially for families. The problem is the failure of state and county governments to hold the developers to account to provide necessary infrastructure to handle the load. It was just "Build it and they will come". And come they did!

You're not wrong to target those places for a home purchase. It's not your fault that there has been a massive failure of state and local government planning.
If we plan our outings will it be reasonable? We don't have to go during morning or afternoon rush hour but I really hate traffic and don't want to be sitting in our car all day every time we need to go somewhere.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
If we plan our outings will it be reasonable? We don't have to go during morning or afternoon rush hour but I really hate traffic and don't want to be sitting in our car all day every time we need to go somewhere.
I'll have to let someone who lives in Wesley Chapel or Land O Lakes, and who is realistic about both the pluses and the minuses answer that.

The reason I like Swim's recommendation of Trinity is that you will have easier access to interesting areas like Tarpon Springs for outings. Even some of the Gulf Beaches, should you want to go.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,529 posts, read 3,652,330 times
Quote:
If you hate traffic you should avoid the areas as a whole.

The SR54 corridor is becoming the newest nightmare as far as traffic is concerned. The only consolation is that Pasco County at least has the foresight to try and keep up with development, which is far more than you can say for Hillsborough.

Trinity and all of the related properties along SR54 are affected by the congestion, and as the build out Starkey Ranch it's not going to get any better. I drive SR54 regularly, and I'm amazed at how quickly both residential and retail is expanding there. It's almost frightening the pace it's taking.

If you're worried about traffic you need to be looking out in a rural area. Traffic is a major issue in the bay area and will continue to be for decades.

RM

Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you hate traffic you should avoid the areas as a whole.

The SR54 corridor is becoming the newest nightmare as far as traffic is concerned. The only consolation is that Pasco County at least has the foresight to try and keep up with development, which is far more than you can say for Hillsborough.

Trinity and all of the related properties along SR54 are affected by the congestion, and as the build out Starkey Ranch it's not going to get any better. I drive SR54 regularly, and I'm amazed at how quickly both residential and retail is expanding there. It's almost frightening the pace it's taking.

If you're worried about traffic you need to be looking out in a rural area. Traffic is a major issue in the bay area and will continue to be for decades.

RM
Geez, I forgot all about Starkey Ranch.

It's a shame to have to advise someone to seek out a rural area. What that says is that there is no middle of the road suburban option to offer people.

And you're right about Hillsborough. The day I realized that they'd laid one big fat stinky rotten egg was the day I got stuck in traffic on 674, of all places, going from 301 to 41. This was during the summer, too. Someone's car overheated and bang! Slowed to a crawl. On 674. Let that sink in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay