Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 10,368 times
Thank you so much for that information, mrviking! My son actually mentioned Clearwater (and found a restaurant there that is the same type of Asian fusion/sushi place he works at now). But I did a crime overlay map and yikes! Of course, those statistics could be read in any number of ways. What do you think about the crime in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
I try to let the people that actually live in those areas to speak about crime. Unlike most people here who like to talk down about areas other then their own. Pass-a-grill to Clearwater encompasses a large area with many jewels that are hidden. I hope people that live south of Gulf to Bay will chime in on some of the nicer areas to live such as gulfport one of my favorites before it was discovered. You wont find major developments in south pinellas like in the burbs but pockets of nice areas in older established neighborhoods.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:06 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
And don't forget that you get a bonus in Clearwater - the Scientologists!!!!

Rm

Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And don't forget that you get a bonus in Clearwater - the Scientologists!!!!

Rm

I did a quote for their main complex in Clearwater. Heavy heavy security, I passed, too many hoops to jump through.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:16 PM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
OP's son should be accustomed to Scientologists. They are everywhere in SoCal.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 10,368 times
Mrviking: Thank you so much for your advice tempered with wisdom rather than self serving opinion! I've also heard really good things about the Gulfport area in my research. Definitely worth looking into and adding it to my list. Looking forward to actually get boots on the ground out there and put all of this advice to good use. It's been 30 (YIKES!!!!) years since I was there! I was stationed in Englewood and worked from Crystal River to Naples, but it's been so long ago I know everything has changed drastically...

Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryhm View Post
Mrviking: Thank you so much for your advice tempered with wisdom rather than self serving opinion! I've also heard really good things about the Gulfport area in my research. Definitely worth looking into and adding it to my list. Looking forward to actually get boots on the ground out there and put all of this advice to good use. It's been 30 (YIKES!!!!) years since I was there! I was stationed in Englewood and worked from Crystal River to Naples, but it's been so long ago I know everything has changed drastically...
Crystal River probably hasn't changed much. It's in pretty bad shape these days due to the closure of the nuke plant.

RM

Old 03-26-2019, 05:29 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
We live in Gulfport and Beach Blvd. is indeed a Restaurant Row. Very crowded nightly this time of year; us locals have a hard time getting a seat! Summers are less busy weeknights, but weekends always busy. There are about 12 eateries in a short span, either side of a very walkable street. The City sponsors a lot of weekend festivals, increasing the turnout.

Weekly Tuesday Market year-round, same street. Also First Fridays and Third Saturdays are monthly Art Walks in evening.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We live in Gulfport and Beach Blvd. is indeed a Restaurant Row. Very crowded nightly this time of year; us locals have a hard time getting a seat! Summers are less busy weeknights, but weekends always busy. There are about 12 eateries in a short span, either side of a very walkable street. The City sponsors a lot of weekend festivals, increasing the turnout.

Weekly Tuesday Market year-round, same street. Also First Fridays and Third Saturdays are monthly Art Walks in evening.
I know you love Gulfport and it's a cute town, but this does not fit the OPs requirements. Gulfport is tiny like a village (12,000 ppl) and not a tourist destination. It's fine for retirees but not a 20 something who is looking for place with a LOT of restaurants. I have been to Gulfport and to me there was not very much there. It cannot begin to compete with Sarasota or St. Pete (or Tampa) in that regard.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:04 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I know you love Gulfport and it's a cute town, but this does not fit the OPs requirements. Gulfport is tiny like a village (12,000 ppl) and not a tourist destination. It's fine for retirees but not a 20 something who is looking for place with a LOT of restaurants. I have been to Gulfport and to me there was not very much there. It cannot begin to compete with Sarasota or St. Pete (or Tampa) in that regard.
Go by Salty's or O'Maddys any night of the week and you will see that Gulfport is not a retiree town. Far from it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay