U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:12 AM

403 posts, read 352,794 times

Advertisements

I'm here coming up near seven yrs having moved from Dallas. I posted my two cents on school and housing between Dallas (Richardson) and Tampa (north Pinellas) over a year ago here:

Anyone moved from Dallas to Tampa?

On the job front since I'm in IT as well, I'd say the opportunities are less and more competitive here, and the pay scale is less too once you get to higher levels. Just for grins I throw out feelers every now and then and what comes back isn't even close to what it was in Dallas back in my job hopping days, but I knew that coming here. There's not a huge Fortune 500 corporate presence here like DFW so it is something to consider if you're still in the career building stage. I don't have any stats but do run into a lot of IT people who work remotely living here I'm being one of them. I brought my job with me here from Dallas and still go back there at least once a year for work.

I find the quality of life here much better since I can be outdoors year round. Nicer weather even during to the summer since I prefer humidity vs the scorching heat, at least I can hit up the water and nice beaches nearby and great fishing. Like OP said it can get pretty wintry in DFW and the week long deep freeze during 2011 Superbowl did me in to get me moving here since my ideal operating temp is 65-95 degrees. The total cost of living came out to about the same - some things cost more than other and other things cost less so it kind of even out in the end and both places don't have state income taxes. I do miss the food options in Dallas and the "everything is bigger in Texas" but doesn't make up for what Tampa has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 11:56 PM

5 posts, read 2,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
I disagree with this.

I spent many years in Dallas [inside the 635 "bubble"] and have only spent about 8 months total in Tampa.

Once you get away from Bayhsore Blvd and Hyde Park, Tampa gets sketchy quickly. I don't know about the suburbs because I don't spend much time there.

A lot of Tampa is ugly and a lot of people who live here are trash. I am surprised you got a bump in salary for moving to Tampa.

The good thing about Dallas is that as long as you live north of I-30 there aren't many sketchy areas. Outside of Skillman/Audelia, Greenville/Park Lane, around Love Field, etc. - there aren't that many sketchy areas. I don't even know if that is true anymore as Dallas has gentrified so fast it is unbelievable.

I think Tampa makes sense to visit, if you are a Snowbird, retired, or want to live in a 55+ community. I may end up doing that some day. People in Tampa are more laid back and like to have a good time.

To me, Dallas is a "big time" city, whereas Tampa feels like an overgrown beach town.
Thanks for the input,

I also got that feeling in Fort Myers, which is one other reason (in addition to the lower salary) I did not go that route.

There were definitely areas that went from decent to sketchy super quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I'm here coming up near seven yrs having moved from Dallas. I posted my two cents on school and housing between Dallas (Richardson) and Tampa (north Pinellas) over a year ago here:

Anyone moved from Dallas to Tampa?

On the job front since I'm in IT as well, I'd say the opportunities are less and more competitive here, and the pay scale is less too once you get to higher levels. Just for grins I throw out feelers every now and then and what comes back isn't even close to what it was in Dallas back in my job hopping days, but I knew that coming here. There's not a huge Fortune 500 corporate presence here like DFW so it is something to consider if you're still in the career building stage. I don't have any stats but do run into a lot of IT people who work remotely living here I'm being one of them. I brought my job with me here from Dallas and still go back there at least once a year for work.

I find the quality of life here much better since I can be outdoors year round. Nicer weather even during to the summer since I prefer humidity vs the scorching heat, at least I can hit up the water and nice beaches nearby and great fishing. Like OP said it can get pretty wintry in DFW and the week long deep freeze during 2011 Superbowl did me in to get me moving here since my ideal operating temp is 65-95 degrees. The total cost of living came out to about the same - some things cost more than other and other things cost less so it kind of even out in the end and both places don't have state income taxes. I do miss the food options in Dallas and the "everything is bigger in Texas" but doesn't make up for what Tampa has to offer.
Thanks for the link,

The more outdoor activity and beaches/lifestyle are really what would be attracting me to Tampa over DFW rather than the monetary gain.

I am in a fairly decent place salary wise to be young and still growing in my tech career (early six figure range) and the increase to move would be less than 5k annually so really id call it even on that front.

Definitely a lot to think about with the little ones involved

Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,960,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_DTX View Post
Hi All,

I have read through some of the other threads here on relocation, but have not seen any specific experience on anyone moving from the DFW area recently.

Background info:

Myself, wife (both 29) and two daughters ages 2 and 6. Schools will be a factor.

I work in Tech, specifically healthcare IT , my wife works an admin assistant type role and can find work anywhere.

I received a decent job offer in the Tampa area (Close to Airport, SunForest Dr.) that would be a slight monetary gain but not significant. (I would be at the same salary here by end of year). The main reason behind the move would be for the locale of Tampa as all of my family is in South Georgia where I was born and raised. We also spend as much time as we can on the water as it is, and the majority of our hobbies involve the water. This move would be a lifestyle change based on those factors.

We have looked at South Tampa/Westshore as there are several nice apartment complexes nearby, my only concern there are the schools. We have also heard good things about Westchase, Tampa palms etc.

Has anyone made this move from the DFW area (We are in Fort Worth currently) , and if so how do you like it in comparison? (Job opportunities/growth, schools, Lifestyle etc)

We are trying to really weigh the pros and cons on what we would be leaving here versus gaining etc.

(Just an aside, I also had an opportunity turn up in Fort Myers but ultimately did not make the move due to the salary being much lower when the offer came out.)

Thanks in advance!
You guys are not much older than I haha (27). Various posters are commenting on schools. I can tell you that IMO, if you look around a little bit, you will be able to find at least a few quality educational options, even if perhaps they aren't as numerous or quite as highly reputed as those in DFW. As an educator myself, I'm of the opinion that while the schools themselves matter, perhaps more important factors are how the parent works with the individual student, and also the level of drive and individual approach/ability of the student that will be just as important or of greater importance, once you get past a certain level. School rating is far from the only factor to judge a school on, is I guess what I'm saying. For instance, GreatSchools really only rates schools based on their overall state test scores. But, some schools that might otherwise receive a "poor rating", might also be the IB or Magnet school for the district, and as a result, have an excellent TSA program, or other people particularly talented at developing students. As a result, sometimes those schools (with a rating of 2/3 out of 10), may be just as if not more capable of developing a student for perhaps attending a Stanford, or an MIT, as someone actually receiving those scores.

It's not perfect, but I like the South Tampa/Westshore area pretty well. It's safe, but quiet in many places, and close to everything.

I can't say that I've lived in Dallas, but I just visited a month ago. There were advantages I saw there, but also certainly qualities in which I actually like Tampa Bay better. It's a give and take sort of thing, and no matter how many responses you get, some things you won't fully realize until you're here.

Fort Myers is much smaller, and probably more limited in opportunity, it would be probably a culture shock to switch from Dallas to somewhere that small.

Ultimately, if you like being on the water, I have a difficult time arguing with that, however, I think it might be helpful for you guys to spend even a couple weeks off touring around here if possible to really be able to get all sides of the story. Another thing I might note, especially if you have family in Dallas (important to consider), is if you have checked out Houston. I don't know if you have experiences there causing you to rule it out, but it has the close to water (though not as close as Tampa of course), that you desire, plus it is closer to where you are now, and I'd imagine, it would give you more options career wise if the move you took did not work out. It would also probably be less of a stress and a switch for you, overall.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 2,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
You guys are not much older than I haha (27). Various posters are commenting on schools. I can tell you that IMO, if you look around a little bit, you will be able to find at least a few quality educational options, even if perhaps they aren't as numerous or quite as highly reputed as those in DFW. As an educator myself, I'm of the opinion that while the schools themselves matter, perhaps more important factors are how the parent works with the individual student, and also the level of drive and individual approach/ability of the student that will be just as important or of greater importance, once you get past a certain level. School rating is far from the only factor to judge a school on, is I guess what I'm saying. For instance, GreatSchools really only rates schools based on their overall state test scores. But, some schools that might otherwise receive a "poor rating", might also be the IB or Magnet school for the district, and as a result, have an excellent TSA program, or other people particularly talented at developing students. As a result, sometimes those schools (with a rating of 2/3 out of 10), may be just as if not more capable of developing a student for perhaps attending a Stanford, or an MIT, as someone actually receiving those scores.

It's not perfect, but I like the South Tampa/Westshore area pretty well. It's safe, but quiet in many places, and close to everything.

I can't say that I've lived in Dallas, but I just visited a month ago. There were advantages I saw there, but also certainly qualities in which I actually like Tampa Bay better. It's a give and take sort of thing, and no matter how many responses you get, some things you won't fully realize until you're here.

Fort Myers is much smaller, and probably more limited in opportunity, it would be probably a culture shock to switch from Dallas to somewhere that small.

Ultimately, if you like being on the water, I have a difficult time arguing with that, however, I think it might be helpful for you guys to spend even a couple weeks off touring around here if possible to really be able to get all sides of the story. Another thing I might note, especially if you have family in Dallas (important to consider), is if you have checked out Houston. I don't know if you have experiences there causing you to rule it out, but it has the close to water (though not as close as Tampa of course), that you desire, plus it is closer to where you are now, and I'd imagine, it would give you more options career wise if the move you took did not work out. It would also probably be less of a stress and a switch for you, overall.
Thanks for the reply, and you are absolutely correct on the importance of the individual student and the ability/motivation of the parent to raise them. I have two nieces in what is probably one of the worst rated school districts in South Georgia (where i am from) and they are both very smart, well mannered individuals that have a lot going for them.

As far as family, both mine and my wife's parents are here in Texas within an hour and a half drive, that is truly the single factor that makes this a tough decision (My parents own a successful business so cant really just pick up and move to FL) . The entire rest of my family is within a 4 - 6 hr drive of Tampa in GA.

I have spent some time in Houston, and while its a great city in its own respect, there are zero beaches I would care to take my kids to or spend time at near there, aside from South Padre Island which is a 4 ish hr drive.

I freedive/spearfish as often as possible and while there are some decent spots off the Texas coast, they require a 40+ mile offshore trip to get to decent blue water. (Typically offshore oil rigs).

I have another week or so before I have to give the company a yes/no decision on the offer they extended , definitely going to be one of those what are we gaining versus walking away from scenarios.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:23 PM

2,120 posts, read 5,624,650 times
I moved to Dallas from Orlando for work back in 2006. My home here in DFW just went into contract after being on the market for 3 days. I'm moving back to Florida. I'm tired of paying 3% property taxes here in Texas. Plus my mom, dad, and sister live in Florida. Dad is in Sarasota mom and sister in Orlando. Don't really want to go to Orlando so I think Tampa it is. I already have a couple job opportunities in the Tampa and Lakeland area. One even in Sarasota. DFW has been great but I miss the ocean and the mild winters. It seems like Tampa has very affordable homes out in the suburbs compared to South Florida and even Orlando. The homes here in Dfw have finally caught up with prices in Florida. I'm half Cuban and half Italian so it will be nice to be around some Cubans again. I miss the food. I'm looking to rent at first. Hopefully find a short term home rental in the suburbs while I search for a house. My wife is in the mortgage business and it seems there is a lot of that there. I'm am starting my search for a nice area to live. Going to read all of these threads.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 AM

2,780 posts, read 1,755,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I moved to Dallas from Orlando for work back in 2006. My home here in DFW just went into contract after being on the market for 3 days. I'm moving back to Florida. I'm tired of paying 3% property taxes here in Texas. Plus my mom, dad, and sister live in Florida. Dad is in Sarasota mom and sister in Orlando. Don't really want to go to Orlando so I think Tampa it is. I already have a couple job opportunities in the Tampa and Lakeland area. One even in Sarasota. DFW has been great but I miss the ocean and the mild winters. It seems like Tampa has very affordable homes out in the suburbs compared to South Florida and even Orlando. The homes here in Dfw have finally caught up with prices in Florida. I'm half Cuban and half Italian so it will be nice to be around some Cubans again. I miss the food. I'm looking to rent at first. Hopefully find a short term home rental in the suburbs while I search for a house. My wife is in the mortgage business and it seems there is a lot of that there. I'm am starting my search for a nice area to live. Going to read all of these threads.

Welcome to Tampa!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:48 AM

540 posts, read 330,766 times
Quote:
I disagree with this.

I spent many years in Dallas [inside the 635 "bubble"] and have only spent about 8 months total in Tampa.

Once you get away from Bayhsore Blvd and Hyde Park, Tampa gets sketchy quickly. I don't know about the suburbs because I don't spend much time there.

A lot of Tampa is ugly and a lot of people who live here are trash. I am surprised you got a bump in salary for moving to Tampa.

The good thing about Dallas is that as long as you live north of I-30 there aren't many sketchy areas. Outside of Skillman/Audelia, Greenville/Park Lane, around Love Field, etc. - there aren't that many sketchy areas. I don't even know if that is true anymore as Dallas has gentrified so fast it is unbelievable.

I think Tampa makes sense to visit, if you are a Snowbird, retired, or want to live in a 55+ community. I may end up doing that some day. People in Tampa are more laid back and like to have a good time.

To me, Dallas is a "big time" city, whereas Tampa feels like an overgrown beach town.
My two cents since Iíve had roommates from Dallas. Dallas should not be compared to any city in Florida. Itís a sprawling city almost smack in the middle of un scenic middle America. He was trying to say miami is so ghetto compared to Dallas. One street nice next ghetto. Well geographical look at the map. You have the ocean on one side and the protected Everglades on the other. Not much room. The only city maybe can compare is Orlando cause of its sprawl. But Orlando is much more scenic with itís lakes,springs, and lushness and only an hour to beach. Only thing itís flat. Economy wise yes give it too Dallas. Just have to get on flight to enjoy scenic areas.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 AM

81 posts, read 92,377 times
I just spent a week returning to Dallas to take care of some things.

April is the perfect time to visit Dallas so it may have clouded my judgement. After a week it was clear to me that Dallas is superior to Tampa in every category except for lacking a beach and having a colder winter.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM

403 posts, read 352,794 times
Quote:
I just spent a week returning to Dallas to take care of some things.

April is the perfect time to visit Dallas so it may have clouded my judgement. After a week it was clear to me that Dallas is superior to Tampa in every category except for lacking a beach and having a colder winter.
Funny you say that as that's pretty much the main two reasons why we moved to Tampa from Dallas that trumped everything else. Also being within driving distance of "The Happiest Place on Earth" was just an added bonus.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 AM

759 posts, read 294,357 times
I remember staying in downtown Dallas and having to take a taxi to the airport. That airport is way, way too big for me. Dallas is ok but all concrete. Having a beach nearby in Florida is great. The airport is not as overwhelming as Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or