U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 2,624 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have read through some of the other threads here on relocation, but have not seen any specific experience on anyone moving from the DFW area recently.

Background info:

Myself, wife (both 29) and two daughters ages 2 and 6. Schools will be a factor.

I work in Tech, specifically healthcare IT , my wife works an admin assistant type role and can find work anywhere.

I received a decent job offer in the Tampa area (Close to Airport, SunForest Dr.) that would be a slight monetary gain but not significant. (I would be at the same salary here by end of year). The main reason behind the move would be for the locale of Tampa as all of my family is in South Georgia where I was born and raised. We also spend as much time as we can on the water as it is, and the majority of our hobbies involve the water. This move would be a lifestyle change based on those factors.

We have looked at South Tampa/Westshore as there are several nice apartment complexes nearby, my only concern there are the schools. We have also heard good things about Westchase, Tampa palms etc.

Has anyone made this move from the DFW area (We are in Fort Worth currently) , and if so how do you like it in comparison? (Job opportunities/growth, schools, Lifestyle etc)

We are trying to really weigh the pros and cons on what we would be leaving here versus gaining etc.

(Just an aside, I also had an opportunity turn up in Fort Myers but ultimately did not make the move due to the salary being much lower when the offer came out.)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 01:05 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,491,479 times
check out also around north pinellas county, which is a drive over Courtney Campbell Causeway to your job.
Decent schools, closer to beaches, water etc. Quite a lot of rental places in that area. Good schools around the areas you mentioned too.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM

732 posts, read 281,428 times
Rentals will be a good option in lieu of buying a home to find things change and school may change. We looked at homes in the area but the sinkhole issue was a big concern had we bought there.
Good luck with the move.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,510 posts, read 3,631,475 times
Schools will definitely be a step down, regardless of where you land.

RM

Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the replies thus far,

We would definitely be renting to start out, getting a feel for the area, job etc.

I have heard the public school systems leave some desire in Florida, we have some rough ones in the DFW area but some great ones as well.

My six year old is in charter currently, but we would be open to both public and charters depending on ratings.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:04 AM

4,875 posts, read 3,944,752 times
Florida has a good school choice program and charter programs are abundant.

I grew up in the DFW area been in FL since 1997 annd Tampa since 2012.
Tampa people are much nicer and friendlier. Maybe it is the laid back atmosphere we have here in Florida. While no place is crime free, Tampa is safer.
Winters are better in Tampa. Summers in both places are brutal IMHO.

Tampa has a good arts scene. Cuban food rules here. But not as many per capita restauranyts as DFW.
Also more to do in Tampa. Dallas has two main activites for entertainment: eating out and shopping. Your kids might like Busch Gardens, I prefer it over 6 Flags.
Traffic is not great. Dallas drivers are usually aggresive and rude, but Tampa drivers are often brainless.

As for housing, new developments are going up everywhere. Affordable for any budget.

Oh one other thing: groceries are higher here. Your food bill will go up.

Let me know if u have any questions and good luck.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,510 posts, read 3,631,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_DTX View Post
Thanks for the replies thus far,

We would definitely be renting to start out, getting a feel for the area, job etc.

I have heard the public school systems leave some desire in Florida, we have some rough ones in the DFW area but some great ones as well.

My six year old is in charter currently, but we would be open to both public and charters depending on ratings.
Charters are common and plentiful, but in good areas they're often waitlisted.

School choice is not an option to someone relocating into the area, as the program requires you to have established residency for one year before you can apply. Not only that, choice is not a means of getting into a better school, as they'll either be at or near capacity or the few slots they have for choice will be taken.

Rough is not an adjective I would use to describe Florida schools. Inadequate and lacking rigor would be more appropriate. As my youngest son said upon attending a high school in the Midwest after being in Florida schools prior, "This place is a LOT harder than any school in Florida."

RM

Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Florida has a good school choice program and charter programs are abundant.

I grew up in the DFW area been in FL since 1997 annd Tampa since 2012.
Tampa people are much nicer and friendlier. Maybe it is the laid back atmosphere we have here in Florida. While no place is crime free, Tampa is safer.
Winters are better in Tampa. Summers in both places are brutal IMHO.

Tampa has a good arts scene. Cuban food rules here. But not as many per capita restauranyts as DFW.
Also more to do in Tampa. Dallas has two main activites for entertainment: eating out and shopping. Your kids might like Busch Gardens, I prefer it over 6 Flags.
Traffic is not great. Dallas drivers are usually aggresive and rude, but Tampa drivers are often brainless.

As for housing, new developments are going up everywhere. Affordable for any budget.

Oh one other thing: groceries are higher here. Your food bill will go up.

Let me know if u have any questions and good luck.
Thanks for the DFW input!

I heard about Lee counties school of choice program when I was looking down that way, but did not know it was a state wide initiative.

As Morton mentioned it looks like it would not apply to new residents.

The winters in DFW can get surprisingly cold, I do not mind heat/humidity having grown up with both all of my life.

My main concern would be the job market in the area, as DFW is booming and an economic stronghold. I would be moving down there with a solid job, but I am talking more overall career growth overtime etc.

The Tampa tech scene does seem to be fairly solid from what I have read.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:52 AM

81 posts, read 92,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
While no place is crime free, Tampa is safer.
I disagree with this.

I spent many years in Dallas [inside the 635 "bubble"] and have only spent about 8 months total in Tampa.

Once you get away from Bayhsore Blvd and Hyde Park, Tampa gets sketchy quickly. I don't know about the suburbs because I don't spend much time there.

A lot of Tampa is ugly and a lot of people who live here are trash. I am surprised you got a bump in salary for moving to Tampa.

The good thing about Dallas is that as long as you live north of I-30 there aren't many sketchy areas. Outside of Skillman/Audelia, Greenville/Park Lane, around Love Field, etc. - there aren't that many sketchy areas. I don't even know if that is true anymore as Dallas has gentrified so fast it is unbelievable.

I think Tampa makes sense to visit, if you are a Snowbird, retired, or want to live in a 55+ community. I may end up doing that some day. People in Tampa are more laid back and like to have a good time.

To me, Dallas is a "big time" city, whereas Tampa feels like an overgrown beach town.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 AM

2,752 posts, read 1,739,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
I disagree with this.

I spent many years in Dallas [inside the 635 "bubble"] and have only spent about 8 months total in Tampa.

Once you get away from Bayhsore Blvd and Hyde Park, Tampa gets sketchy quickly. I don't know about the suburbs because I don't spend much time there.

A lot of Tampa is ugly and a lot of people who live here are trash. I am surprised you got a bump in salary for moving to Tampa.

The good thing about Dallas is that as long as you live north of I-30 there aren't many sketchy areas. Outside of Skillman/Audelia, Greenville/Park Lane, around Love Field, etc. - there aren't that many sketchy areas. I don't even know if that is true anymore as Dallas has gentrified so fast it is unbelievable.

I think Tampa makes sense to visit, if you are a Snowbird, or want to live in a 55+ community. I may end up doing that some day. People in Tampa are more laid back and like to have a good time.

To me, Dallas is a "big time" city, whereas Tampa feels like an overgrown beach town.

Dallas is a major major city, with huge economy and airports. Tampa does feel like an overgrown beach town compared to Dallas!

Dallas has amazing restaurants and of course, H-E-B and Central Market, which make Publix look like a gas station convenience store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or