U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-19-2019, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Central NJ
30 posts, read 19,577 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there are cashless tolls in the st. Pete beach, Clearwater area? Also south towards Sarasota??
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,581 posts, read 3,689,239 times
Reputation: 3369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyswind View Post
Can anyone tell me if there are cashless tolls in the st. Pete beach, Clearwater area? Also south towards Sarasota??
Only for the Skyway bridge as far as I know. I'm not aware of any tolls in the other areas listed, unless some of the beach communities are charging to cross their bridge (Treasure Island?)

RM
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 03:32 PM
 
462 posts, read 366,142 times
Reputation: 637
For the bayway heading west to St. Pete beach westbound stop at the office during business hours to buy a sunpass, or just buy a sunpass at any dealer like Publix. In St. Pete both the bayway and skyway use sunpass.
You need a sunpass
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Central NJ
30 posts, read 19,577 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
For the bayway heading west to St. Pete beach westbound stop at the office during business hours to buy a sunpass, or just buy a sunpass at any dealer like Publix. In St. Pete both the bayway and skyway use sunpass.
I'll be coming from Tampa airport. made this trip last year and didn't hit any tolls, don't remember the route I took. Would like to do a bit of exploring this time but don't want to hit any cashless tolls. How much does it cost to buy a SunPass at Publix?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 AM
 
2,719 posts, read 4,399,678 times
Reputation: 2326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyswind View Post
I'll be coming from Tampa airport. made this trip last year and didn't hit any tolls, don't remember the route I took. Would like to do a bit of exploring this time but don't want to hit any cashless tolls. How much does it cost to buy a SunPass at Publix?
Less than $6.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM
 
172 posts, read 64,468 times
Reputation: 235
Sorry if this is redundant but are you getting discounts by using the Sunpass? In Illinois we get 1/2 off the toll if paid by I-Pass.

From what I've found, you get a small discount if you have multiple uses of paying tolls, I think.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,581 posts, read 3,689,239 times
Reputation: 3369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Sorry if this is redundant but are you getting discounts by using the Sunpass? In Illinois we get 1/2 off the toll if paid by I-Pass.

From what I've found, you get a small discount if you have multiple uses of paying tolls, I think.
In most cases, yes. We don't have tollbooths any more, it's either "pay by plate" where they send you a bill based on the registration for the plate or an RFID transmitter ("SunPass"). Using a SunPass gets you a slightly lower toll, much like the arrangement the Tri-State or other toll roads in Chicago have.

RM
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2019, 07:02 PM
 
697 posts, read 423,745 times
Reputation: 729
I once got one of those bill-by-plates in the mail and they add an obnoxious administrative fee which makes it expensive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2019, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,581 posts, read 3,689,239 times
Reputation: 3369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
I once got one of those bill-by-plates in the mail and they add an obnoxious administrative fee which makes it expensive.
Exactly. They're trying to force users to go to the RFID transmitters. Don't want to do it? Pay the fees.

RM
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2019, 09:33 AM
 
172 posts, read 64,468 times
Reputation: 235
Thank you, Morton~ I think we'll get the mini pass that costs less once we are here full time. We did get a $4 bill last winter as we had gotten turned around going home and ended up on a tollway, haha...bill-by-plates.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top