Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,833 times

Advertisements

This throwback has similar details, but doesn't quite answer my question, as none were pertaining to the area indicated: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa-bay/1560577-killing-squirrels-legal-florida-6.html[/url]

Given that was 7 years ago, many things are certainly to have changed by now.

My current resources (see below) indicate that the Gray Squirrel is considered Legal Game and Small Game. However, seemed only to inform me about hunting for sport in certain wildlife reservation areas.
[url]https://www.flrules.org/notice/resultAdvance.asp?string=a&ChkFAC=on&ChkFAW=on&key word=Hillsborough+and+%22Gray+Squirrel%22&orgid=&o rid=&sid=&iid=&date3=05%2F09%2F2018&date4=07%2F09% 2F2019&date1=05%2F09%2F2018&date2=05%2F09%2F2019&s ubmit=++Search++[/url]

Reason: There is a growing population of Gray Squirrel on an Oak tree in my front yard, which is directly outside my front door. These rodents bark, squeal, and mate incessantly, giving me no peace. I have attempted hanging mothballs in the tree, which is a common method of deterring wild mammals (i.e. feral cats, opossums, squirrels, rats, mice), but a time comes when the squirrels figure out the source of the smell and remove it! It rains a lot in Florida, especially in areas close to water (Tampa Bay), and wet mothballs lose their effectiveness quickly.

My plan: I'm not big on guns, nor do I intend to become so. I have handled a BB gun once before, and figured out that I am a deadshot at about 40 yards. I wondered whether, were I to register and obtain one of these, I would be acting within the law to shoot and kill 1 to 4 Gray Squirrel in a residential area (if killing one deters the rest, the job is done). I do own the piece of property on which I reside, but I'm new to firearm regulations and I can't find an answer for my zone.
I figure there would at least be some requirement that I be a certain distance away, and that I be careful of the direction to which I take aim, but beyond that, I'm puzzled.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPStellar View Post
This throwback has similar details, but doesn't quite answer my question, as none were pertaining to the area indicated: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...florida-6.html

My current resources (see below) indicate that the Gray Squirrel is considered Legal Game and Small Game. However, seemed only to inform me about hunting for sport in certain wildlife reservation areas.
https://www.flrules.org/notice/resul...mit=++Search++

Reason: There is a growing population of Gray Squirrel on an Oak tree in my front yard, which is directly outside my front door. These rodents bark, squeal, and mate incessantly, giving me no peace. I have attempted hanging mothballs in the tree, which is a common method of deterring wild mammals (i.e. feral cats, opossums, squirrels, rats, mice), but a time comes when the squirrels figure out the source of the smell and remove it! It rains a lot in Florida, especially in areas close to water (Tampa Bay), and wet mothballs lose their effectiveness quickly.

My plan: I'm not big on guns, nor do I intend to become so. I have handled a BB gun once before, and figured out that I am a deadshot at about 40 yards. I wondered whether, were I to register and obtain one of these, I would be acting within the law to shoot and kill 1 to 4 Gray Squirrel in a residential area (if killing one deters the rest, the job is done). I do own the piece of property on which I reside, but I'm new to firearm regulations and I can't find an answer for my zone.
I figure there would at least be some requirement that I be a certain distance away, and that I be careful of the direction to which I take aim, but beyond that, I'm puzzled.
You know damn well, it an't illegal until you get caught.
Thing is.. If you kill it, you gotta eat it.
Squirrel & dumplings is pretty damn good.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
I don't think you need to register a BB gun... my kids had them when they were younger and I don't remember registering them at all. We bought them at a sporting goods store. It's possible that my husband registered them in his own name, I guess.

As for whether it's legal to shoot squirrels in Tampa, I think you'd need to post in the Florida subforum. You should probably already know that shooting a few of them isn't going to solve your problem, though. There are always more where they came from. I live about 90 miles south of you and the wildlife is constant... squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, bobcats, tons of birds, lizards, frogs, occasional rats. I think squirrels are one of those "learn to live with it" type of things. At least they're not raccoons or skunks!

Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,389,421 times
You'll shoot your eye out.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:47 PM

50,252 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Paintball is a good deterrent.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:07 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPStellar View Post
This throwback has similar details, but doesn't quite answer my question, as none were pertaining to the area indicated: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...florida-6.html

https://www.flrules.org/notice/resul...mit=++Search++

Squirrels are entertaining- we feed them peanuts.

Just get some live animal traps and move them, or get one of your neighbors to start feeding them peanuts, corn and sunflower seeds and they will move.

The problem is that there will be others that will move in.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:13 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Why shoot them, when this is much more fun :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNltR4iCRCA

Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
if you are a "deadshot" (extremely accurate) with a BB gun (not pellet rifle) at 40 yards, my congratulations.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
if you are a "deadshot" (extremely accurate) with a BB gun (not pellet rifle) at 40 yards, my congratulations.

Not sure I would shoot a squirrel at 40 yards with a shotgun.....that's 120 feet......

Old 05-09-2019, 03:33 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
You can't hunt small game out of season nor without a hunting license in most states. Also, check your local ordinances for discharging a bb or pellet gun. Some states like NJ, (not FL as far as I know) consider bb and pellet guns FIREARMS. Do you have neighbors close by? I'd be more worried about a stray bb or pellet if you do.

Get one of those, "Have-a-Heart" live traps, and trap them and relocate them far away in the woods. Or just S, S, S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay