U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,162 times

Advertisements

hello..my family and I are moving to the st pete area next year..my mom who is in her 50's has an apt on pass a grille beach and has her business here in kentucky and travels back and forth and my sister and soon to be husband will be moving from here to tampa or st pete once she graduates from college next yr...my husband and i have two daughters which will then be going into 6th and 8th grade/middle school age...we live in a safe town of about 60,000...i have read these blogs for a while now and just wanted to see how other parents with kids in the age range feel about raising there kids there...my daughters play some sports in school volleyball/basketball/soccer and take dance lessons at a studio here..they are only a year apart in age...my sister and husband do not want to have kids so it will be a much easier choice for them..any help from other parents would be great
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 02:43 PM

396 posts, read 1,500,676 times
Our family moved to St. Pete in spring of 06. Our experience was not positive for our kids for several reasons. First and most important was the school district. The Florida choice (which I believe is going away) makes it very difficult for new families arriving during the summer or later to enroll in the neighborhood school. When we arrived, I called the district and had to actually go down to the office, prove my citizenship and register before they would tell me where my kids would attend school. It didn't matter that I could see an elementary school from our house......It ended up that they wanted to send my kids to three different schools. That just wasn't going to work for us so we ended up putting them into private schools (which a very large number of people opt to do in St. Pete). Our private school experience was very good. Happy living in St. Pete sounds like it might be easier for you because you will automatically have family with you....very nice because it's tough to make friends there. Find a family friendly neighborhood that is deed restricted. In St. Pete you can live in a great house on a beautiful lot and the guy two houses down from you can have a car on cinder blocks and have 12 cats. It's very random. We loved our church in St. Pete so we miss that (yes, we opted to leave after one year) and we miss the fact that our kids could have taken advantage of the Bright Futures scholarship program (something that is a great incentive to Floridians). Good luck in your search.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM

428 posts, read 1,320,968 times
We are raisning two kids in St. Pete. THey are in private school, however there are excellent high schools in the area, mainly St. Petersburg High, which is nationally recognized. There are a multitude of family activities to do in St. Pete- there are a few dance academies as well. Lots of sports, both school and "pick-up".

St. pete has some issues, especially with young punks. I think it has a lot to do with the parents.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM

32 posts, read 113,795 times
HELLO...does anyone know if the bright futures scholarship applies to home schooled or florida virtual high school students? does anyone have children in the fl virtual high school program? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay