Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,315 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate from Port St Lucie to Hillsborough County where there are better schools K-12 for my 6 year old son. High schools in Port St Lucie are not great, so trying to be proactive and move now before he gets older. Also looking to just get a new start in life as I'm recently widowed. I need to have lots of parking as I have 3 Jeeps, a truck and a small camper. I use the camper as my "tiny office" to make phone calls out of during the day so I don't want to put it in storage. So anything with HOA parking restrictions is out. I also have a senior pit bull - he's a big baby, but he's a problem for some as well.

I've found some properties in the Valrico/Lithia area that fit the bill that are in a more rural area - but I would love for my son to be able to make friends and safely play outside, ride bikes, play ball in the road - like I used to when I was a kid. Does this even exist anymore? And do kids in Lithia/Valrico go to the same schools based on their address? Where I live now is crazy - none of the kids on my street go to the same elementary school due to "school choice", so they never get to know one another.

I work from home 100% so commuting is a non-issue. So in short - good schools, active family neighborhood, lots of parking space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:52 AM

390 posts, read 396,922 times
Not sure what you're looking for by way of house size and budget but if you're interested in properties a little further south (i.e., eastern Manatee County, Bradenton addresses), Mill Creek might fit the bill. Non-HOA, excellent schools. Just north of Lakewood Ranch and right next to GreyHawk Landing which is a very family-friendly community itself but doesn't fit your non-HOA criteria. However, it gives your son more options for hanging out with other children from nearby.

I think that in areas where the schools are good that the kids on your street will generally go to the same school. Less need to utilize school choice when you're already in a great district. Very sorry for your loss. Best of luck with finding a place for you and your son in the next chapter of your life.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
Check Lithia Ridge listings. HOA but they are not as restrictive as many and do not have CDDs. Maybe check Twin Lakes as well. Avoid River Hills at all costs...very restrictive and in the process of forcing residents to buy and "invest in" country club/golf course.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:27 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
There are 13 area YMCAs with sports programs and a variety of activities for jkids. Might check them out. Lots of soccer, basketball, other activities. Summer camps and swim programs. Big Bend, Brandon etc......

Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
That and the County has summer programs at numerous park locations, too.

No HOA that I can think of is going to allow a camper parked in the driveway for any length of time, so I would either abandon that idea or look for a property in a non-HOA community (good luck with that if you're looking in the Valrico area.)

Your children will attend the school for the area they're zoned for. There are very few areas where students are bussed out of their community these days. Choice is always an option, but if the property is in a good community, there won't be people opting for choice. However, there are a lot of charter schools in the area now, so a lot of people are sending their kids to the charter schools.

RM

Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 AM

41 posts, read 23,808 times
Welcome to the 21st Century.BTW who wants their kids playing in the roads/streets? I hope you were kidding. Sounds like you NEED to be in a total rural area and definitely NOT a planned unit development, or any gated community most of which have pretty good schools pretty close, such as Lakewood Ranch. Anywhere in LWR would be completely out given your lifestyle (cars, jeeps, campers, etc etc). Good luck.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:20 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
Kids don't play outside anymore. They play social media

Old 06-23-2019, 03:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Kids don't play outside anymore. They play social media
blame parents

Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 AM

41 posts, read 23,808 times
^^no 'kidding' LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay