Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 10:01 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
I totally agree. Airports have an allure, and a romantic appeal. There are still many quiet moments when one can enjoy an airport, especially one like TPA when seasonal travel ebbs. The TWA terminal at JFK (now hotel), is iconic, and is part of air travel history we are trying to hold onto. TPA has a “museum” - it is in the corridor heading towards the hotel (which I was told has or is going to close for renovation???)

As far as restaurants, yes the airside choices are local, and some of the best. The Tampa Bay Times covered the selection process a few years ago; there was some controversy but I cannot recall specifics. I was, however, as I mentioned earlier, disappointed at the choices of Hard Rock, and PF Chang’s as the choices for the main terminal. Would have loved to seen Columbia get the main space.
Sure, that's ok for families traveling. I would like just like most other big metro airports to have areas where I can sit, work meaning table with power and a tablet I can have food delivered to where I am at.
I fly United so I am mostly familiar with the A terminal, there maybe 2 restaurants and a little food court area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Info on destinations offered from Tampa, nonstop.
*Seasonal
Domestic
---------------------
Akron/Canton*
Albany
Asheville
Atlanta
Atlantic City
Austin*
Baltimore
Birmingham
Boston
Buffalo
Charlotte
Chicago/O'Hare
Chicago/Midway
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus/Glenn
Dallas/Fort Worth
Dallas/Love
Denver
Destin/Executive
Detroit
Fort Lauderdale
Grand Rapids*
Greensboro
Greenville/Spartanburg*
Hartford
Houston/Hobby
Houston/Intercontinental
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Key West
Las Vegas
Latrobe/Pittsburgh*
Long Island/Islip
Los Angeles
Louisville
Madison (WI)*
Manchester (NH)
Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Minneapolis/Saint Paul
Nashville
Newark
New Orleans
New York/JFK
New York/LaGuardia
Norfolk*
Pensacola
Philadelphia
Phoenix/Sky Harbor
Pittsburgh
Portland (ME)*
Providence*
Raleigh/Durham
Richmond*
Rochester (NY)*
Saint Louis
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego
San Francisco
San Juan
Seattle/Tacoma
Syracuse*
Tallahassee
Trenton
Washington/Dulles
Washington/National
West Palm Beach
White Plains

Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
International
*Seasonal
----------------------
Amsterdam*
Cancun*
Grand Cayman
Frankfurt
Halifax*
Hamilton (ON)*
Havana*** (gone soon?)
London/Gatwick
Marsh Harbour
Montreal/Trudeau*
Nassau
North Eleuthera
Ottawa*
Panama City
Reykjavik/Keflavik*
St. John's (NL)*
Toronto/Pearson
Zurich

Old 06-15-2019, 02:40 PM

149 posts, read 259,604 times
Of course TPA has need for improvement. However, those issues depend on our airport expectations and comparisons. My question Is to what standard are we comparing it? What's the name of gold standard airport that TPA is being measured by?

For instance, 30 minutes for bag retrieval, sounds typical to me. But then I'm comparing that to my average wait times at airports in Europe like ALC, ORY, and CDG.

Last edited by asimegusta; 06-15-2019 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-15-2019, 03:20 PM

224 posts, read 228,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
Of course TPA has need for improvement. However, those issues depend on our airport expectations and comparisons. My question Is to what standard are we comparing it? What's the name of gold standard airport that TPA is being measured by?

For instance, 30 minutes for bag retrieval, sounds typical to me. But then I'm comparing that to my average wait times at airports in Europe like ALC, ORY, and CDG.

It sounds like some people in Tampa expect Atlanta/DFW-level connectivity with White Plains-level expedience.

As both are just not mutually possible, there's no point in even attempting to address their concerns.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft Laud Guy View Post
It sounds like some people in Tampa expect Atlanta/DFW-level connectivity with White Plains-level expedience.

As both are just not mutually possible, there's no point in even attempting to address their concerns.

Well, let's just take one example. SLC. Small airport, smaller city and region than Tampa Bay, much smaller population. Yet it has at least double and possibly triple the number of nonstops domestic and international that TPA does. Several nonstops a week to Europe, including PARIS, the number 1 tourist destination in the world. Atlanta style connectivity? Not even close, but better than TPA. White Plains-level expedience. Yup. But oh, supply and demand, yeah. I guess Salt Lake City residents just like to travel a lot more than ppl here. People in Tampa just don't need 343 nonstops a day! Guess that's why so many of us head on over to MCO.

SLC is also CLEAN, easy to get in and out of, is connected to two types of light rail, and bags take less than 10 minutes to appear on carousel. SLC is consistently ranked high on timeliness (fewer delayed flights), fare prices and TSA wait times.

Finally, here's a pic of the taxi stand at SLC, where a friendly worker leads you to a clean waiting vehicle.

I won't post a pic of the "ghettomobile (taxi) stand" at TPA. That would just be too mean.

Tampa has many amazingly wonderful attributes!!!!!!!!! Its airport is not one of them.

Last edited by sinatras; 06-15-2019 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-16-2019, 03:40 AM

149 posts, read 259,604 times
Okay. Now we have our gold standard airport : SLC.

That helps.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:34 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
SLC is a Delta hub. TPA does not have an major airline hub, which is surprising for the size of the metro area it serves. Landing a major airline hub would be a very big deal.

Last edited by dothetwist; 06-16-2019 at 04:53 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 08:11 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
SLC is a Delta hub. TPA does not have an major airline hub, which is surprising for the size of the metro area it serves. Landing a major airline hub would be a very big deal.
While we wait (likely a long while) for TPA to land a (major) hub and more nonstops, let's pray that at least they get rid of the contract they have with the ghettomobile taxi companies. The employees and the vehicles are just embarrassing.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:21 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
I fly in and out of PIE and/or TIA at least twice a week and no complaints on either one. I prefer PIE, but TIA is one of the better ones for sure. I can't think of anything that bothers me about either one. I do a lot of flying so I have seen some horrible airports, and we very are lucky to have these two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay