Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 7,019 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a 53 year old single, active female wanting to move to Pinellas County. I need help figuring out where to live. I work as an occupational therapy assistant and will most likely be doing per-diem work throughout the county so I would like to live somewhat central. I am looking to either temporarily rent or buy a small condo. I have been researching the best/affordable/safest areas and I’m getting many different suggestions. Some criteria I am looking for, besides a safe community are: health oriented, health food stores/restaurants, walking trails, farmers markets, artsy, beachy, walkable and friendly. Also, I would like to live somewhere that my adult children would enjoy when they visit and maybe someday want to move to. Most importantly, my budget for renting is around $1000/month and around $125,000 to buy. Thank you for all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 11:26 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
There are others on the forum that know the details of Pinellas County better than I, so hopefully they'll chime in, but based on what I do know you may have a difficult time finding housing in that price range with the amenities you're looking for. Even in Hillsborough County it would be a stretch, and you wouldn't have the things you're looking for, either.

Understand that the closer you get to the water, the more expensive real estate is. Couple that with a huge spike in investor owned properties in the area with a very high rental demand, and you'll understand what I'm describing. Have you looked on any real estate web sites to get an idea of housing prices here? It doesn't sound like it.

RM

Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,210,559 times
No homes for $125k in that county unless it is in a rundown hood.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:23 PM

I should of stated that I am looking for a one bedroom condo/apartment in the $125,000 range or $1,000/month range! I’m not interested in houses or large condos. I have seen some on Zillow but just trying to get feedback on some areas such as Gulfport, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, South Pasadena, Seminole and Largo. Thanks!!

Old 06-09-2019, 01:43 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,210,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth2019 View Post
I should of stated that I am looking for a one bedroom condo/apartment in the $125,000 range or $1,000/month range! I’m not interested in houses or large condos. I have seen some on Zillow but just trying to get feedback on some areas such as Gulfport, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, South Pasadena, Seminole and Largo. Thanks!!
Plenty for under $70k to the north in Pasco county.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:45 PM

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,050 times
We own in Gulfport's Historic downtown; it would suit you as far as amenities and location (all our doctors are part of BayCare or Bayfront medical groups and they are all under 15 minutes drive. Gulfport is very safe....we walk nightly to dinner (a dozen non-chain eateries on Beach Blvd). The best area is bounded at the north by 22nd Ave S (better to be at 24th and higher), south to the water (Boca Ciega Bay) and west to 50th St. S, and east to 59th St S.

More about Gulfport here: About Gulfport Florida | Gulfport Florida

I follow the SFH market and it's been insane...we bought at 245K in 2014 and would list today at 445K (this estimate from 2 realtors we have talked to...we think 425K is the reality), and we've made no improvements. There is a large condo development, mid-rise, called Town Shores on 59th. Some have terrific water views. But maybe a 1st floor unremodeled unit could be in your price range?? Not much on market now...most Gulfport sellers list in winter, for snowbirds. We may list this year, which is why I am watching market so closely.

There is a free online paper, The Gabber and it has classifieds, sometimes there will be ads there for independent cottages on a private home lot. Because these arrangements have the landlord in the main house, they are very picky with their tenants and doubtful they will rent to you without meeting you first. I have 3 neighbors with this set up (2 are elderly widows) and it's a great deal for both sides of the equation.
This week’s edition – The Gabber

Last edited by dothetwist; 06-09-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 02:44 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
A rental budget of 1K is really pushing it. You can buy for 125K, but it will be a condo, not a SFH. I think you can find a decent condo for that.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:57 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
I would try Innisbrook for a condo in that range...while the exterior may not be that appealing...most have been nicely updated and even come furnished!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Dothetwist: Thank you so much. Gulfport looks like my kind of town. Definitely a place I will visit and consider. Thank you for the links!!

Last edited by Ruth2019; 06-09-2019 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Add more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay