U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM

22 posts, read 63,958 times

Advertisements

I know that the winters are fantastic in Fla. but I'm curious as to when the super humidity begins in Tampa? I've read in some places that it's bad for 8-9 months per year but that really seems like a bit of an exaggeration (or is it??). Many moons ago, I lived in the Ft. Myers area and as I remember it there, it was humid from about May/June to Oct/Nov, however, it seemed bearable from what I can recall. I would imagine Tampa is a little cooler than the Ft. Myers area since it's in central Fla. rather than South Fla.

What do people do outside in the Summer other than going to the beach and boating in Tampa?

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,628,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herethereandeverywhere View Post
Many moons ago, I lived in the Ft. Myers area and as I remember it there, it was humid from about May/June to Oct/Nov, however, it seemed bearable from what I can recall. I would imagine Tampa is a little cooler than the Ft. Myers area since it's in central Fla. rather than South Fla.

What do people do outside in the Summer other than going to the beach and boating in Tampa?

Thanks to all.
I'd say from mid June to mid October, with the evenings of August and September being the most humid, but the heat and humidity dosnt bother me much(I kind of like it cause I have a pool, spend alot of time on the water with my kayak, work in an airconditioned office, drive in a car with airconditioning, and everywhere I go has airconditioning). I still do lawn work outside, and all the same activities that I do from October to June...but spend a little more time doing indoor activities - (like movies, plays, concerts, museums), and in the summers im also on the beach and in the pool more often as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 PM

190 posts, read 580,919 times
i was kinda wondering the same, i've only been here since sept. 23rd 07 and i came down and it was HOTTT... but then again, i came from 60s of highs right to mid 90's for a couple weeks.

i also am curious about the love bugs. i came down and they were here, but when do they come back, and is it worse in sept. or the same????

Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,628,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
i was kinda wondering the same, i've only been here since sept. 23rd 07 and i came down and it was HOTTT... but then again, i came from 60s of highs right to mid 90's for a couple weeks.

i also am curious about the love bugs. i came down and they were here, but when do they come back, and is it worse in sept. or the same????
Love Bigs are around in parts of May and September, they typically like gas stations in the outskirts of the city central, and Highways.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM

15,199 posts, read 31,159,793 times
Well, this is really kind of subjective, but for me personally, it starts feeling more uncomfortable in June, and lasts until mid-October - with July - Sept. feeling the worst as far as humidity. Of course we get a lot of rainstorms during this time which will make the temps cooler, but the humidity will be unbearable when the sun comes out. Overall, I think 4 months is what I consider uncomfortable.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 PM

198 posts, read 872,202 times
Eveyone's different. For me it is already getting hot except for this late season cold front we have now. Last weekend it felt really hot. But the real humidity usually kicks in once summer thunderstoms season starts. That usually starts in mid to late june and can last untill we get the first cold front of the season.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,565,913 times
IMO we have two seasons: hot and unbearable (I have a friend who says in Ft. Myers they have 2 seasons: rainy and tourist). All kidding aside, I expect it to steam up any day now and stay through october, so 6-7mo altogether, with occasional breaks in April and October.

Putting a pool in was the best thing we ever did b/c it lets us be out more. It's sort of the reverse of when we lived in MA, where we were inside all winter.

Sitting in restaurants and walking malls with a/c are legitimate summer sports in FL.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM

367 posts, read 1,537,481 times
I think it's better by the beaches into june and after september it feels better again, tho there are exceptions. The worst time of the day is late afternoon and early evening.
I can remember awful drives with the children to sports practices at 6.00 pm in my old minivan with poor a/c - the windows being open were more effective!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,809,704 times
Middle of May or so is when the heat and humidity start to become bothersome, for sure by June. I just remember the outside activities my kid's school would have at the end of the school year - field day, end of the year picnics etc - and the feeling that the air is thick. April still seemed to have that spring feel w/the cooler nights. Tampa has 6 months of nice (Nov - April) and 6 months of heat & humidity (May - Oct)- I'm not complaining, I loved it!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,622,226 times
If you are coming from the North and can put up with the hi 90's and humidity up there in the summer you can handle it here. It doesn't get higher than 94 degs. here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or