U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,055 times

Advertisements

Bandchick - Florida has it's share of problems. Several years ago after a rough hurricane season there were all kinds of insurance problems...that has died down "some". Insurance continues to be expensive.

The other gotcha in FL is subdivisions like Heritage Harbor and what is known as Community Development Districts (CDD). CDD's are a complete rip-off. For instance, in Heritage Harbor the CDD fees are roughly 3k/year per lot. It's great for a developer because they are making the homeowner pay for the infrastructure instead by repaying bonds instead of the developer paying for the infrastructure up front - it's bad for the home buyer as you are stuck with 2x the taxes and nothing really to show for it. On top of CDD are HOA fees which are $124/mo in HH, but they do have nice tennis courts and a nice pool (but it is not maintained well). If you stay away from CDD's you definitely can find some really nice areas in FL.

The summer time humidity and tstorms are not conducive to outside laundry, though.

I think you can get crime stats from the county...

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 14,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpugh64 View Post
Bandchick - Florida has it's share of problems. Several years ago after a rough hurricane season there were all kinds of insurance problems...that has died down "some". Insurance continues to be expensive.

The other gotcha in FL is subdivisions like Heritage Harbor and what is known as Community Development Districts (CDD). CDD's are a complete rip-off. For instance, in Heritage Harbor the CDD fees are roughly 3k/year per lot. It's great for a developer because they are making the homeowner pay for the infrastructure instead by repaying bonds instead of the developer paying for the infrastructure up front - it's bad for the home buyer as you are stuck with 2x the taxes and nothing really to show for it. On top of CDD are HOA fees which are $124/mo in HH, but they do have nice tennis courts and a nice pool (but it is not maintained well). If you stay away from CDD's you definitely can find some really nice areas in FL.

The summer time humidity and tstorms are not conducive to outside laundry, though.

I think you can get crime stats from the county...

Good luck.
A sincere thank-you for this wonderful response. Good to hear about the CDD's and such--- that is definitely something I hadn't heard of until now. I'm scared about finding a good, safe neighborhood in our price range. I hope it won't be too difficult to do! I'll look into the county to see if I can find crime stats. Thanks for that tip.

Also-- I'm a huge T-storm girl (moreso than a laundry girl!! HA!!). I was even going to be a meteoroligist at one point in my life, just to pursue storm-chasing. Heehee!! And I'm not sure how often it storms down there-- I'm assuming there's a lot more during the hurricane season, but how much more? All things I'm trying to figure out... on top of the new job/relocation hassle of it all. So, if the laundry is on the back porch, like I saw on a few listings, then I guess I'll just have to wear my socks twice.

Here are the areas I'm thinking sound the best, thus far and in no particular order (and please, please, please, feel free to stop me on one that wouldn't be optimal for a young family like ours): Brandon, Carrollwood, Lutz, Valrico (Buckhorn), Lithia (Fishhawk)... and remotely, New Tampa and Wesley Chapel-- someone mentioned that they are doing road construction now to alleviate the traffic headaches?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,981 times
Trinity area of New Port Richey. They have the best schools and there is a Target and Starbucks in the same parking lot. Really good area.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM

130 posts, read 234,818 times
I would stay out of Pinnelas County if you have children. Land o Lakes, Lutz, and Wesley Chapel are great cities for raising kids. Check them out. go to www.greatschools.net to look up schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or