Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2019, 09:42 AM

12 posts, read 17,614 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Lakeland in 2020. I have a potential job opportunity in the Kathleen/north Lakeland area. I'd like to live close to work. However, based on a visit to the area and what I've researched online, the south Lakeland area has more housing options that would work for us. There seems to be more inventory in our size and price range (4 BR SFH from $300K-$400K in a well-maintained neighborhood) in south Lakeland. Most of the inventory on the north side is older, smaller, and with smaller lots.

My question is: What has caused that disparity, and do you think things are changing? It would seem to me that north Lakeland is the more convenient spot with its proximity to I-4 and Tampa and Orlando. From people I've talked to in the area, there is a trend for people to make Lakeland a commuter hub for both of those major cities. I just don't see that reflected in the housing market or in the school districts. The southside schools tend to be more highly rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
We recently moved (back) to Lakeland after being away for 10 years. We live on the southside, in the Lake Hollingsworth area, which to me is the nicest part of Lakeland. Now I know there is a poster who lives on the north side and loves it, for his own reasons, which is fine. Nothing wrong with that, just a different vibe to me. But overall, you will find people recommending southside of downtown by leaps and bounds. Most of the amenities here are south of downtown. And also the super wealthy neighborhoods. The scenery is different as well. Best schools I believe are in Lakeland Highlands which is even further south

Do you know that Lakeland is the "hottest" real estate market in the country? (per realtor.com) Not as in expensive, just how many are moving here. Prices are rising rapidly due to this, but still a bargain considering the amenities here and quality of life.

As far as northside being more "convenient" not really. Southside has the beautiful Polk Parkway which joins with I-4 to go to either Tampa or Orlando. My husband commutes to downtown Tampa daily, and it's about 40 minutes door-to-door.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-21-2019, 11:17 AM

12 posts, read 17,614 times
Gypsychic,

That is helpful, thank you. I have seen other people on this forum recommending southside as well. Sometimes what looks more convenient at first glance is not always the case. If you don't mind my asking...

Do you get the sense that the growth in Lakeland will be focused in the south, or do you expect the north to benefit in the short term as well? It seems like an area in transition to me. For example, most of the housing is older and less expensive, but there are plenty of retail choices. And the mall looks dated overall with some empty storefronts, but other parts of it are occupied by newer tenants. It appears that area had a boom in the 80s and 90s, was on the decline, and now is starting to see somewhat of a resurgence again. Accurate?

Also, how bad do you think a commute would be from the Highlands area to Kathleen during normal workday hours?

Old 11-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBound19 View Post
Gypsychic,

That is helpful, thank you. I have seen other people on this forum recommending southside as well. Sometimes what looks more convenient at first glance is not always the case. If you don't mind my asking...

Do you get the sense that the growth in Lakeland will be focused in the south, or do you expect the north to benefit in the short term as well? It seems like an area in transition to me. For example, most of the housing is older and less expensive, but there are plenty of retail choices. And the mall looks dated overall with some empty storefronts, but other parts of it are occupied by newer tenants. It appears that area had a boom in the 80s and 90s, was on the decline, and now is starting to see somewhat of a resurgence again. Accurate?

Also, how bad do you think a commute would be from the Highlands area to Kathleen during normal workday hours?
The north area will grow and develop, how fast is hard to say. They are building a beautiful park on the north side of town called "Bonnet Springs Park" that is privately funded, and will be a national draw.

https://bonnetspringspark.com/

As far as commute time, I can't say, depends where you buy and where your job actually is. Maybe 30 minutes max? Just a wild stab, could be less. The mall on the north side is OK, but most people prefer the newer, open air mall called Lakeside Village on the southwest side of town.

https://shoplakesidevillage.net/

Old 11-21-2019, 01:54 PM

23 posts, read 38,990 times
As I had posted my own "Moving to Lakeland" thread just a couple days ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see that someone else was seeking information, too - and on a topic which I'm still considering!

I've been leaning toward North Lakeland, though the replies posted by gypsychic on both your thread and my own have left me more seriously considering a larger search radius, particularly South Lakeland.

The reason I was leaning north is, like you, it just seems like it should cut down on the time it takes to get to Orlando and, in particular for me, Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista. Using Google maps to make a quick (and far from thorough) evaluation, I entered two different scenarios:
  • Just east of Lake Gibson to Walt Disney World: Distance = 33 miles, Time = 30 minutes.
  • Just south of Lake Hollingsworth to WDW (via 570 to I4): Distance = 44 miles, Time = 45 minutes.
If accurate, this would represent a non-trivial difference on the order of +50% (sorry, I used to be an engineer!).

Then again, I think what it's really going to boil down to is evaluating the areas in person - i.e., just driving around and getting a feel for the different parts of town. Sure, you can drive around "virtually" via Google maps (what an incredible tool - engineer again!) and probably should...

...but nothing beats direct experience.

Which is why I'll thank gypsychic again for persuading me to keep an open mind before I decide North or South!

Old 11-21-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T345 View Post
As I had posted my own "Moving to Lakeland" thread just a couple days ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see that someone else was seeking information, too - and on a topic which I'm still considering!

I've been leaning toward North Lakeland, though the replies posted by gypsychic on both your thread and my own have left me more seriously considering a larger search radius, particularly South Lakeland.

The reason I was leaning north is, like you, it just seems like it should cut down on the time it takes to get to Orlando and, in particular for me, Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista. Using Google maps to make a quick (and far from thorough) evaluation, I entered two different scenarios:
  • Just east of Lake Gibson to Walt Disney World: Distance = 33 miles, Time = 30 minutes.
  • Just south of Lake Hollingsworth to WDW (via 570 to I4): Distance = 44 miles, Time = 45 minutes.
If accurate, this would represent a non-trivial difference on the order of +50% (sorry, I used to be an engineer!).

Then again, I think what it's really going to boil down to is evaluating the areas in person - i.e., just driving around and getting a feel for the different parts of town. Sure, you can drive around "virtually" via Google maps (what an incredible tool - engineer again!) and probably should...

...but nothing beats direct experience.

Which is why I'll thank gypsychic again for persuading me to keep an open mind before I decide North or South!
Yes, you really do have to come here, drive around and see everything in person. It is really the only way to evaluate what is best. And at the end of the day, no matter where you live, nowhere is THAT far from Disney. Also, Polk Parkway has very little traffic so even if more miles, time may actually end up very close. I-4 is very congested heading to Disney/Orlando. We moved to our neighborhood based on the neighborhood itself, and all of the amenities here. I am walking distance to the golf course (across the street), golf course trail, three other parks and Lake Hollingsworth with it's beautiful walking/biking path. Grocery stores and restaurants abound. And while we are not wealthy, we got a great deal on an older home within blocks of some of the most beautiful mansions in town. I specifically wanted to live in this area for these reasons.

So, both of you should make a trip or two and check things out. This area has a lot to offer no matter where you settle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay