U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,794,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida has to be the most polarizing state ever, people either love or hate more than any other place. Florida like Texas is a huge state with many different parts of the state being different, Florida is a hard state to understand because Central Florida, South Florida and Northern Florida are so damn different.
You got that right. I prefer South Florida in just about every way, but I still can't imagine living there full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,063,382 times
I rather enjoy my personal circumstances, so I've been attempting (unsuccessfully) for the better part of a decade to get over some of the more prevalent shortcomings.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
You got that right. I prefer South Florida in just about every way, but I still can't imagine living there full time.
What about other parts of Florida? I feel that FL has has a good variety of different places that anyone can find their spot. That said, I've always wanted to go to NC...plus they Publix now.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,919,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What about other parts of Florida? I feel that FL has has a good variety of different places that anyone can find their spot. That said, I've always wanted to go to NC...plus they Publix now.
That is one advantage Florida has its a very diverse state and its huge. More like Texas its hard to define. I really like the Orlando and Tampa areas, Sarasota and Naples, not big on Miami and South Florida don't care for the people. I really not big on Tally and the Panhandle as well.. too much like the Deep South. Jacksonville is an odd city as well its more like Southern GA than the rest of Florida

Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,385,566 times
I tried to move from NW Pennsylvania to Tampa Bay Area remotely for two months and no one would interview me. People told me I would have to be local to even be considered unless it was such a hard to fill position that they couldn't find anyone locally.

Idk what ppl are talking about when they say this is a low cost of living area. I was making mid 60s in NW Pennsylvania renting a 2 bedroom house with a good sized front and back yard and a garage for $800 a month plus utilities, renting the same house here would be double or even triple that. Going out is also double or triple the cost.

I wrongly assumed that higher COL = higher salary for the same work and years of experience. I'm here to caution everyone thinking of moving here that this is not the case.

When I quit my job and moved in with relatives to get situated here I got interviews immediately but the salaries were in the low 40s! I lucked out and found another mid 60s job after three months of searching locally but the money doesn't go as far. A friend of a friend knew a friend of a friend that whose company was looking to hire someone.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:32 PM

1,438 posts, read 880,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I tried to move from NW Pennsylvania to Tampa Bay Area remotely for two months and no one would interview me. People told me I would have to be local to even be considered unless it was such a hard to fill position that they couldn't find anyone locally.

Idk what ppl are talking about when they say this is a low cost of living area. I was making mid 60s in NW Pennsylvania renting a 2 bedroom house with a good sized front and back yard and a garage for $800 a month plus utilities, renting the same house here would be double or even triple that. Going out is also double or triple the cost.

I wrongly assumed that higher COL = higher salary for the same work and years of experience. I'm here to caution everyone thinking of moving here that this is not the case.

When I quit my job and moved in with relatives to get situated here I got interviews immediately but the salaries were in the low 40s! I lucked out and found another mid 60s job after three months of searching locally but the money doesn't go as far. A friend of a friend knew a friend of a friend that whose company was looking to hire someone.
I noticed that too. I'm from Missouri which is known for very low cost of living and the jobs there don't pay great but they pay better than Florida. However up there your money goes a lot further basically like you described it. MO has income tax, but everything else there is cheaper.

Here in Florida everything for us has cost more. Car insurance, home insurance, healthcare, food, gas, car registration and utilities. The little savings FL has with no income taxes is easily made up in other areas.

It was much cheaper for my family living in St. Louis.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:42 AM

15,197 posts, read 31,159,793 times
It is all relative - people moving here from very high cost areas feel like it is a bargain, and those from cheaper areas (like parts of the midwest) will find it expensive. The whole Tampa Bay Area has become far more expensive in the past several years due to the many thousands of people who want to live here, and in fact DO move here - supply and demand. I don't see that changing. And people moving here from high cost areas drive up the costs here because to them it is "cheap." I see this happening BIG TIME where I live now (in Sarasota). I think all cities in this expanded TBA are going to be very expensive in the coming years.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It is all relative - people moving here from very high cost areas feel like it is a bargain, and those from cheaper areas (like parts of the midwest) will find it expensive. The whole Tampa Bay Area has become far more expensive in the past several years due to the many thousands of people who want to live here, and in fact DO move here - supply and demand. I don't see that changing. And people moving here from high cost areas drive up the costs here because to them it is "cheap." I see this happening BIG TIME where I live now (in Sarasota). I think all cities in this expanded TBA are going to be very expensive in the coming years.
I agree 100 percent! Great post that sums it up.

Especially when you do find that rare Florida Cracker, native Floridian they complain about it and many of them end up moving a bit north.

I ran into an older guy in Georgia a couple years ago. He was born in Naples back in the 1940s and eventually decided to move to the mountains of North Georgia because of all the Yankees moving there and driving up the price of stuff. He said he couldn't put up with it anymore.

to people from NJ, NY, MA they think it's cheap especially if they're from NYC or Boston.

Someone coming from MI, KY, MO, AR, IN, KS it seems very expensive.

I've ran into a few people who are moving back north because it's getting so crowded and expensive. Ran into a lady from MD and a guy from Ohio who's lived here for 20 years is moving back to OH because of the terrible drivers and all the New Englanders moving here. They would rather put up with the cold.

To be honest if you want something affordable but still not terribly cold climate, I would pick someone like southern Missouri, northern Arkansas or Tennessee. It gets cold in the winter but it doesn't last very long and the snow doesn't stick around long. Even where I'm from in St. Louis most winters it doesn't snow a lot. Southern MO like around Branson is pretty mild in the winter with several days getting up into the 60s and 70s in the winter. Sure it might get cold but it's not like the upper Midwest or Northeast and is a lot cheaper.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 AM

4,817 posts, read 5,371,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
to people from NJ, NY, MA they think it's cheap especially if they're from NYC or Boston.

Someone coming from MI, KY, MO, AR, IN, KS it seems very expensive.

I've ran into a few people who are moving back north because it's getting so crowded and expensive. Ran into a lady from MD and a guy from Ohio who's lived here for 20 years is moving back to OH because of the terrible drivers and all the New Englanders moving here. They would rather put up with the cold.

To be honest if you want something affordable but still not terribly cold climate, I would pick someone like southern Missouri, northern Arkansas or Tennessee. It gets cold in the winter but it doesn't last very long and the snow doesn't stick around long. Even where I'm from in St. Louis most winters it doesn't snow a lot. Southern MO like around Branson is pretty mild in the winter with several days getting up into the 60s and 70s in the winter. Sure it might get cold but it's not like the upper Midwest or Northeast and is a lot cheaper.
Great post

Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Great post
I'd also recommend South Carolina too, away from the coast a bit where it's cheaper. My parents were considering that. In a way I wish we did. Seems more industry jobs are moving to SC, NC than here in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or