U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 08:54 AM

548 posts, read 339,246 times

Advertisements

My wife started with that wage out of college in Tampa for a RN. But makes a lot more now for an insurance company. I think you should try Florida Hospital or the big ones. (Fl Hosp says 10,000 bonus sign on I think) They always in shortage. With Nurses, you will never be unemployed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 09:52 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,576,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
My wife started with that wage out of college in Tampa for a RN. But makes a lot more now for an insurance company. I think you should try Florida Hospital or the big ones. (Fl Hosp says 10,000 bonus sign on I think) They always in shortage. With Nurses, you will never be unemployed.
That's pretty much how things go. Make yourself valuable to an employer and you will always have a job. Join the dime a dozen group and you will just be a number always looking over your shoulder for the next better, faster, cheaper and or pretty worker to come through the door.

Last edited by mrviking; 06-23-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM

4,818 posts, read 5,375,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
According to this article out of the recent 8100 Peele moving into downtown two thirds make more than 100k.

How Tampa Turned a Dead Zone Into a Downtown - POLITICO Magazine

Lets see.. a magazine that kisses the butts of politicians.
Politicians want us common folk to think all is right with the world and they're doing a fantastic job..

Is it possible said magazine would print articles in favor of our dear, sweet, honest, hard working politicians to make us think all is well??
I mean.. if it's online..it's GOT to be true... right???

Old 06-25-2017, 06:39 AM

4,825 posts, read 3,483,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Lets see.. a magazine that kisses the butts of politicians.
Politicians want us common folk to think all is right with the world and they're doing a fantastic job..

Is it possible said magazine would print articles in favor of our dear, sweet, honest, hard working politicians to make us think all is well??
I mean.. if it's online..it's GOT to be true... right???
Politicians in power want to you to think everything is ok, politicians vying for power want you to think everything is crap or getting worse.
Politico is an award winning publican is not a blog or someone's tweeter feed.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 1,202 times
I am one that posted on this initial thread. I spent the last 12 years in Raleigh, NC, and grew up in Kansas City, MO.

I am a RN with a Bachelors degree. 37 years of experience. I am far from rolling over and dieing. Home Health Care wants to pay me 20.00 per hour.

What an insult to my profession. I am leaving Florida.

Roxanne Ballard, RN, BSN

Old 07-04-2017, 04:51 PM

13,682 posts, read 9,340,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnroxanne View Post
I am one that posted on this initial thread. I spent the last 12 years in Raleigh, NC, and grew up in Kansas City, MO.

I am a RN with a Bachelors degree. 37 years of experience. I am far from rolling over and dieing. Home Health Care wants to pay me 20.00 per hour.

Roxanne Ballard, RN, BSN
The pay is bad here dear. I would say good nite nurse as well and pack up and leave.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:35 PM

697 posts, read 425,373 times
And I hope more workers leave Florida. Then these sucky employers will have NO CHOICE but to pay up for a change.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:58 PM

3,018 posts, read 4,874,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnroxanne View Post

Roxanne Ballard, RN, BSN
I work in IT, and as such am no expert in the healthcare field by any stretch. However, my wife is in school for her BSN. She's been a nurse for 27 years. She's looking just to work over the summer and then do weekends during her final semester of school. Granted, she was pulling in $80-100k up north every year we were married. Now, she isn't expecting to be pulling in that kind of dough down here (at least not initially). But, I am certain she's not going to take anything for $20/hour. She had an interview last week at one of the local hospitals. They kept her there for 2.5 hours showing her all over and letting her meet all kinds of people. She left with the impression that they're trying to lock her in to work there full-time once she's finished school. She's going to hear from them sometime after the holiday. But, she has two more interviews this week as well. Again, I know she's not going to take anything for $20/hr.

She previously turned down an offer $28/hr because they would only hire her full-time which she can't do because she needs/wants to finish school. They told her when she's done school in December to give them a call.

Last edited by HWTechGuy; 07-04-2017 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 PM

1,438 posts, read 881,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
And I hope more workers leave Florida. Then these sucky employers will have NO CHOICE but to pay up for a change.
Supply and demand. Job market has not recovered fully. IMO unemployment is probably near 20 percent still if you're counting the millions who can't collect anymore. Rush Limbaugh had someone on last year who claims it was 24 percent. Might have improved a bit now after the elections with Trump but it's still high. I'm talking not the government spin numbers but likely the real life numbers. I'd say 18-20 percent.

Employers can be picky and lowball on pay. About 50 percent of jobs pay equal or lower before the recession started in 2008. It's nasty how low these employers pay.

I see office job listings all the time for $13 an hour or so and having you do the job of 3 people basically.

Then they offer you lowball pay and act like they're doing you a favor and expect you to dance for quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or