Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,317,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
Florida Colleges are supposed to be raising tuition this fall by 7 %. Legislators just put out a new budget plan w/many cuts to schools and State run facilities. Teachers are to get a 2% cut in pay and axilliary staff layed off or hours reduced.
Are you serious? I'm surprised that the teacher's union would allow for them to get a decrease in pay. Wouldn't it go to impasse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 03:35 PM

123 posts, read 345,938 times
I has yet to get passed by the union , it just sent teachers reeling. I am not a teacher but I can say that Unions in the State of Florida are pretty weak. My husband worked for a community college and finally left after he had to write his own greviance. The union rep didn't even know how to write one. I suspect the younger teachers will just head north . Personally I would put my kids in private school.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM

123 posts, read 345,938 times
I am an RN to retire soon and yes it took me 8 years to get back the salary I had in North Carolina which you would expect to be low.( and was ). But yet....the sun shines almost every day!!

Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,994 times
I have to agree about the pay scale. My mother in law has a skin condition that does so much better in Tampa so she decide to move there from the East TX area and she is retired but with no family there. So of course my wife wants to move to Tampa to be closer to her mom and help take care of her and make sure she's safe. I have been looking for a job there for HVAC Designer/Cad operator and the most I have seen for offers are $12 to $15 a hour. East Texas to Shreveport pay scale is $20.00 to $30.00 a hour and what surprises me is when we go to Tampa to visit the cost of living there is 2 times the cost of Shreveport, La or shall I say East Texas. So of course my wife will just have to hope her mother is safe and sound or she can move back closer to us and break out the skin cream or whatever.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,009,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaluv13 View Post
Why are the wages so low in tampa, fl? I live in PA, and wages are more up here? I want to move to florida but now rethinking about it! I would hate to move to a place that pays less for what you do!

Thanks again,
Linda

One way of answering your question would be to bring up a Cost of Living Calculator. Input your current location and then enter Tampa Fl. Adjust the annual gross salary and hit enter.

You will then see what it takes to live here vs. there.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,086,587 times
My wife's frinds daughter is a traveling nurse, she is from Michigan she told us that they avoide Florida because of the low wages. My wife was lucky she is the insurance administrator for a big dental office in st Pete. We came from the Chicago area they hired her at $24 hr.a $1 less then she was getting in Chicago. But pays more for medical here. She has since made up the dollar difference. My wife was recruited here because they could not find andy qualified people here in Tampa .

Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,009,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
My wife's frinds daughter is a traveling nurse, she is from Michigan she told us that they avoide Florida because of the low wages. My wife was lucky she is the insurance administrator for a big dental office in st Pete. We came from the Chicago area they hired her at $24 hr.a $1 less then she was getting in Chicago. But pays more for medical here. She has since made up the dollar difference. My wife was recruited here because they could not find andy qualified people here in Tampa .
Then that is proof that the wages in Tampa arent as low as some advertise. If you have the credentials you get the bucks.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,788,961 times
We did a cost of living calculator comparing where my sister lives (MD) and here. We are both in the same profession, but salary wise, she makes about 15K more than I do. Once we factored in the high taxes and high rent she has to pay up there, our salaries were almost identical. I think she made like 1 or 2K more per year than I do, but that is negligible when all is said and done … especially considering how lovely it is to live in Florida.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
Tampa is fine and so is its wages, it is best to work in the IT, health or professional fields. The rental market is kind of up there around $1,000 for an upscale 1/1 or $1,200 for an upscale 2/2, with the requirement of income being x3 of rent. But you can easily find a nice safe clean 1/1 for around $800. If you make +45k a year down here you are living excellent no worries, 100k you are living like a king.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA2FL View Post
Tampa is fine and so is its wages, it is best to work in the IT, health or professional fields. The rental market is kind of up there around $1,000 for an upscale 1/1 or $1,200 for an upscale 2/2, with the requirement of income being x3 of rent. But you can easily find a nice safe clean 1/1 for around $800. If you make +45k a year down here you are living excellent no worries, 100k you are living like a king.
Mention if you are alone without a family to support $45k is good money; once you add family, you'll be poor here on that income.

PA, or any other northern state wages, are irrelevant here because Florida is overpopulated now, so it all boils down to supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay