U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:54 AM

734 posts, read 732,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA2FL View Post
If you make +45k a year down here you are living excellent no worries
If you're single, live in a 1/1, and don't drive a fancy car, sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,917,034 times
Wages in Florida are low. You have a lot of people who move here without jobs so that makes competition tougher. The state has corporate income taxes and makes you jump through the loopholes to get out of them so that affects supply of jobs. They seem to bribe companies with our tax dollars to bring jobs here but often they are low-paying jobs so that's more of a product of our bad politicians.

In addition to this the state is run by Southerners. Republicans, mostly who have rigged the districts so that they dominate state politics. They are anti-union, anti-labor, and are all for promoting a culture where people believe they are LUCKY if they have job. It's trickle down economics.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 AM

792 posts, read 2,018,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Wages in Florida are low. You have a lot of people who move here without jobs so that makes competition tougher. The state has corporate income taxes and makes you jump through the loopholes to get out of them so that affects supply of jobs. They seem to bribe companies with our tax dollars to bring jobs here but often they are low-paying jobs so that's more of a product of our bad politicians.

In addition to this the state is run by Southerners. Republicans, mostly who have rigged the districts so that they dominate state politics. They are anti-union, anti-labor, and are all for promoting a culture where people believe they are LUCKY if they have job. It's trickle down economics.
That's why they call it a "right to work" state.

Which really means, "a right to work for less", cause that's what you do.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:08 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
I'm moving back to the northeast next month and one of my reasons is also low wages.

Back to making some real money!!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,572,621 times
Weird, I have been working in Florida with a high school education since 1980. I have never felt underpaid or poor. I have purchased three homes in Florida and put two kids through college while my wife was a stay at home mom for my kids. We always went on two week long family vacations a year while they were growing up. Perhaps too many people want everything now and live beyond there means. Too many young families want that 4-bedroom 2300sf house in the burbs behind the fancy gate. My daddy told me to always live below your means and don't worry about keeping up with Mr Jones. The more toys you buy only adds more stress to your life. Perhaps the simple life is why my wife and I have been married over thirty years and My daughter just got married and is looking to buy her first house. Her husband and her want to be on solid footing before starting a family(weird I know). My son has already bought his house with an acre plus lot. The average starter home when I was growing up was 1200sf. My first home was just over that. Now most families would laugh at that house.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 AM

4,823 posts, read 3,479,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Weird, I have been working in Florida with a high school education since 1980. I have never felt underpaid or poor. I have purchased three homes in Florida and put two kids through college while my wife was a stay at home mom for my kids. We always went on two week long family vacations a year while they were growing up. Perhaps too many people want everything now and live beyond there means. Too many young families want that 4-bedroom 2300sf house in the burbs behind the fancy gate. My daddy told me to always live below your means and don't worry about keeping up with Mr Jones. The more toys you buy only adds more stress to your life. Perhaps the simple life is why my wife and I have been married over thirty years and My daughter just got married and is looking to buy her first house. Her husband and her want to be on solid footing before starting a family(weird I know). My son has already bought his house with an acre plus lot. The average starter home when I was growing up was 1200sf. My first home was just over that. Now most families would laugh at that house.
What was your chosen profession?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,401,299 times
Yep, we figured it out. Just lower your expectation and you would do just fine. Heck, I am happy to be alive some would say. Like the singer said everyday you are not six feet under, is a GREAT day.

How many of you are there who can do this with high school diploma NOW?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Yep, we figured it out. Just lower your expectation and you would do just fine. Heck, I am happy to be alive some would say. Like the singer said everyday you are not six feet under, is a GREAT day.

How many of you are there who can do this with high school diploma NOW?
Unless you've proceeded with some training in some sort of trade, I'm willing to bet very VERY few.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,852,352 times
The days of good paying jobs for the people with only a higs school diploma are long gone. But there is still a pocket of jobs that do pay good money for just having a HS diploma. They are in the north in the auto plants. Older workers are retireing so they have to rehire. I think new hires for GM starts at about $19.28 plus benefits after 90 days. But like I said these jobs are hard to secure because as soon as they are posted you have thousands of people trying to secure them.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 AM

323 posts, read 580,348 times
My fiance and I do well here, both with only HS diplomas. Combined, our gross income last year was just under $95k (IT at a small company for him, and accounting at a global healthcare company for me for those of you wondering.) Experience in the IT industry can sometimes get you further than a degree. He's considering adding some upper level certifications as "insurance" if you will. My company, on the other hand, will pay 80% of my tuition if I decide to return to college and 100% if I pursue a master's degree later on.

For us it made sense to put off school in favor of working full-time, saving money and buying a very nice property at the bottom of the housing market crash. We were able to put 20% down on a $265k home that is now worth upwards of $350k, just two years later. Our total payment equates to less than 20% of our income. We also manage on one vehicle. That's how you get ahead anyplace - by not buying the top of the line, maximum you can afford (or worse) of everything. Live within or better yet, below, your means.

Being fiscally responsible isn't the same as "settling" for less. I'm incredibly happy here with what I have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or