U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,393 posts, read 17,400,194 times
Reputation: 27325

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Wages in Florida are low. You have a lot of people who move here without jobs so that makes competition tougher. The state has corporate income taxes and makes you jump through the loopholes to get out of them so that affects supply of jobs. They seem to bribe companies with our tax dollars to bring jobs here but often they are low-paying jobs so that's more of a product of our bad politicians.

In addition to this the state is run by Southerners. Republicans, mostly who have rigged the districts so that they dominate state politics. They are anti-union, anti-labor, and are all for promoting a culture where people believe they are LUCKY if they have job. It's trickle down economics.
The fact that people simply move in does not impact wages in and of itself. If you have a bunch of illegals who can barely read and write, does that impact the wages of nurses or engineers? No, because those illegals would never be in those labor pools anyway. A lot of people who move to FL are retirees, and are not seeking work, thus wouldn't impact wages. The big competition is going to be at the low end of the market.

Does that mean no wages are low? Of course not, and I'm sure a lot of people make less than they would in the high COL area.

Most states have corporate income taxes, and of those that do, FL is near the bottom of them.

Top State Corporate Income Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

Since when has FL been "run by Southerners?" If anything, northern, Midwestern, and overseas transplants are the ones driving population growth, and the politics of the state. I'd say the Southern influence in most of FL is slim to none. When I was in Tampa/Sarasota last month, pretty much everyone commented on my Southern accent.

At least anecdotally, I'm not seeing much difference in the wages of jobs I've applied for in the Tampa area vs. other similarly sized metros with similar costs of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 AM
 
4,817 posts, read 3,466,859 times
Reputation: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
My fiance and I do well here, both with only HS diplomas. Combined, our gross income last year was just under $95k (IT at a small company for him, and accounting at a global healthcare company for me for those of you wondering.) Experience in the IT industry can sometimes get you further than a degree. He's considering adding some upper level certifications as "insurance" if you will. My company, on the other hand, will pay 80% of my tuition if I decide to return to college and 100% if I pursue a master's degree later on.

For us it made sense to put off school in favor of working full-time, saving money and buying a very nice property at the bottom of the housing market crash. We were able to put 20% down on a $265k home that is now worth upwards of $350k, just two years later. Our total payment equates to less than 20% of our income. We also manage on one vehicle. That's how you get ahead anyplace - by not buying the top of the line, maximum you can afford (or worse) of everything. Live within or better yet, below, your means.

Being fiscally responsible isn't the same as "settling" for less. I'm incredibly happy here with what I have
Good for you, you are an outlier. Being fiscally responsible has nothing to do with the fact that someone let's you do accounting without the proper training or IT work without the degree and certs, its just luck I understand that you worked hard as a whatever then they let you work accounting but there are plenty of people who are really good at what they do and no one ever gives them a chance at something better in their company because they are not lucky.

Last edited by DUNNDFRNT; 02-09-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,214,590 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Weird, I have been working in Florida with a high school education since 1980. I have never felt underpaid or poor. I have purchased three homes in Florida and put two kids through college while my wife was a stay at home mom for my kids. We always went on two week long family vacations a year while they were growing up. Perhaps too many people want everything now and live beyond there means. Too many young families want that 4-bedroom 2300sf house in the burbs behind the fancy gate. My daddy told me to always live below your means and don't worry about keeping up with Mr Jones. The more toys you buy only adds more stress to your life. Perhaps the simple life is why my wife and I have been married over thirty years and My daughter just got married and is looking to buy her first house. Her husband and her want to be on solid footing before starting a family(weird I know). My son has already bought his house with an acre plus lot. The average starter home when I was growing up was 1200sf. My first home was just over that. Now most families would laugh at that house.

Ive been doing the same since 88. 2 houses, cars, vacations, never a problem.

Our first house was <1,100 sq. 3 bedroom, 1 bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,214,590 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The fact that people simply move in does not impact wages in and of itself. If you have a bunch of illegals who can barely read and write, does that impact the wages of nurses or engineers? No, because those illegals would never be in those labor pools anyway. A lot of people who move to FL are retirees, and are not seeking work, thus wouldn't impact wages. The big competition is going to be at the low end of the market.

Does that mean no wages are low? Of course not, and I'm sure a lot of people make less than they would in the high COL area.

Most states have corporate income taxes, and of those that do, FL is near the bottom of them.

Top State Corporate Income Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

Since when has FL been "run by Southerners?" If anything, northern, Midwestern, and overseas transplants are the ones driving population growth, and the politics of the state. I'd say the Southern influence in most of FL is slim to none. When I was in Tampa/Sarasota last month, pretty much everyone commented on my Southern accent.

At least anecdotally, I'm not seeing much difference in the wages of jobs I've applied for in the Tampa area vs. other similarly sized metros with similar costs of living.
I think the key is in your post. people who were doing marginally well where they were wanted more so they figured they'd move to FL and everything would come easy, easy pickings. They thought "life is a beach", sun and fun for everybody. Then the realities of their shortcomings set in and a different tale has been woven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 AM
 
323 posts, read 578,894 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Good for you, you are an outlier. Being fiscally responsible has nothing to do with the fact that someone let's you do accounting without the proper training or IT work without the degree and certs, its just luck I understand that you worked hard as a whatever then they let you work accounting but there are plenty of people who are really good at what they do and no one ever gives them a chance at something better in their company because they are not lucky.
I understand what you mean - Hard work and luck are a great combination, but it doesn't always work out that way for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM
 
2,263 posts, read 1,558,507 times
Reputation: 2957
I have a friend who's neighbor has his wife taking care of his little ones all three kids under 8yrs old. Living in a home over 250K. He drives a cab and is a originally from Africa. Quite sure you don't need a college education to drive a cab. Yet I'm sure it helps if you do LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,132,121 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ive been doing the same since 88. 2 houses, cars, vacations, never a problem.

Our first house was <1,100 sq. 3 bedroom, 1 bath.
would you outliers stop posting in this thread - you're ruining it for us doom and gloomers who hate the area, hate the wages, hate life in general......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,214,590 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
would you outliers stop posting in this thread - you're ruining it for us doom and gloomers who hate the area, hate the wages, hate life in general......
Good doom to u Buc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,393 posts, read 17,400,194 times
Reputation: 27325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I think the key is in your post. people who were doing marginally well where they were wanted more so they figured they'd move to FL and everything would come easy, easy pickings. They thought "life is a beach", sun and fun for everybody. Then the realities of their shortcomings set in and a different tale has been woven.
I am from Tennessee and I can't tell you how many posts we get on the TN boards from transplants (particularly northerners) wanting to "come South because it's warm and cheap," and don't do any due diligence about jobs, the culture, wages, etc. Many of these people come down then go back home with their tales tucked between their legs. Many of those who end up staying make very little, then complain about that. Some do like it.

I am sure this situation is even much worse in FL. From my research on Tampa and admittedly limited time there, I don't see how the wage/job situation is worse than any underperforming states like TN, AL, MS, KY, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,214,590 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am from Tennessee and I can't tell you how many posts we get on the TN boards from transplants (particularly northerners) wanting to "come South because it's warm and cheap," and don't do any due diligence about jobs, the culture, wages, etc. Many of these people come down then go back home with their tales tucked between their legs. Many of those who end up staying make very little, then complain about that. Some do like it.

I am sure this situation is even much worse in FL. From my research on Tampa and admittedly limited time there, I don't see how the wage/job situation is worse than any underperforming states like TN, AL, MS, KY, etc.
The Tampa u/e rate is at 5.7. There are many jobs out there but either people dont want them (maybe its below them) or they simply cant fit the needs of the company. You ask a guy to create a little brochure using MS OFFICE and he has no idea where to start. Gotta sit down, show them where to go, get a layout going for them and then MAYBE by the end of the week you have a useless text document. Ask them to run out a spreadsheet for a certain frame of time (the whole thing is in the file) and again its that deer in the headlights look.

All these IT experts want big bucks to attempt to do the job. They have little or no prior experience.

Ive seen a lot of "IT gurus" come aboard and they know network management but no clue as to asset management. Most of the ones Ive seen come and go need to do help desk admin and very little else.

Want someone with a telecom background to handle VOIP, department wide desk assignment changes and other common PBX details and they just have no idea.

Once I went to our IT staff and told them I need an associates phone to ring when I pick up the phone. They looked at me like I was asking them to replicate the Hoover Dam in the employee break room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top