U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,393,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Weird, I have been working in Florida with a high school education since 1980. I have never felt underpaid or poor. I have purchased three homes in Florida and put two kids through college while my wife was a stay at home mom for my kids. We always went on two week long family vacations a year while they were growing up. Perhaps too many people want everything now and live beyond there means. Too many young families want that 4-bedroom 2300sf house in the burbs behind the fancy gate. My daddy told me to always live below your means and don't worry about keeping up with Mr Jones. The more toys you buy only adds more stress to your life. Perhaps the simple life is why my wife and I have been married over thirty years and My daughter just got married and is looking to buy her first house. Her husband and her want to be on solid footing before starting a family(weird I know). My son has already bought his house with an acre plus lot. The average starter home when I was growing up was 1200sf. My first home was just over that. Now most families would laugh at that house.
Living beneath your means is always a good idea, but why not work to increase your means ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 06:10 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,916,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Then that is proof that the wages in Tampa arent as low as some advertise. If you have the credentials you get the bucks.

That statement is not always true, you have to be in a field that is in demand. The salaries in the Florida tend to be lower in health care than the rest of the country.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:14 PM

2,370 posts, read 1,127,006 times
If your talking about simple retail jobs. Then yes, they do pay lower, then up north. WAWA is advertising $10 a hour, starting pay. That's not to bad. The thing that is bad, was the passing of the the affordable care act. The law gave corporations a loophole, that allows them to cut hours back to part time work. You really wont find jobs for more then 30 hours a week. so you can forget about any overtime, which starts after 40 hours a week.

What I can suggest is to go to college, business administration is a great degree. After 4 years you will have a piece of paper that says you have a skill. It's not like the old days where you, graduate high school, get a job at some factory and make $25 an hour.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:14 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,853,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
That statement is not always true, you have to be in a field that is in demand. The salaries in the Florida tend to be lower in health care than the rest of the country.
I have a friend that's a traveling nurse they avoide Florida because of the lower wages that nurses get compared to the north and the west.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,253,499 times
Quote:
Wages are lower in the southern united states when comparing one to another. However, there is caveat called "cost of living".

Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
If your talking about simple retail jobs. Then yes, they do pay lower, then up north. WAWA is advertising $10 a hour, starting pay. That's not to bad. The thing that is bad, was the passing of the the affordable care act. The law gave corporations a loophole, that allows them to cut hours back to part time work. You really wont find jobs for more then 30 hours a week. so you can forget about any overtime, which starts after 40 hours a week.

What I can suggest is to go to college, business administration is a great degree. After 4 years you will have a piece of paper that says you have a skill. It's not like the old days where you, graduate high school, get a job at some factory and make $25 an hour.
Employers not offering "full time jobs" has been happening before the AHA was written. Employers all have a silly goal. Its called turning a profit.

You're right, the good ole days ended.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No, you need to be in a field where excelling at the task is required.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post

If you're in the retail sector or something very low end, your best is to move to where you can find the cheapest COL, as the wage gains are unlikely to make up for expensive COL.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,853,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Wages are lower in the southern united states when comparing one to another. However, there is caveat called "cost of living".
Florida did not even make it in the top 10 cheapest states with lowest cost of living in this article.

The 10 Least Expensive States to Live in the U.S.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,573,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Living beneath your means is always a good idea, but why not work to increase your means ?
Well duh..that's pretty much how it works. Just because you make 5-10K more per year, you don't always have to spend all of it. I didn't stop after my first job after high school. In the summer of 1978, I was working in the building sites driving a dump truck picking up construction trash. The job paid $8.00hr! Dang! those cheap Florida wages. From there I moved on to cleaning carpets in 1979 becoming a lead tech and driving my own van. I remember waiting in line at the local bank, waiting to deposit my weekly check.
I recall seeing people much older than me in line with smaller checks then I had. I was clearing 4-6 hundred a week at 20 yrs old. I made sure to put most my money in the bank so I could pay cash that next summer to buy my second car. Nope Florida has always been good to me. When I ever felt underpaid I just looked for another opportunity. Its always easier when you don't have to go paycheck to paycheck because you have an emergency fund and savings! Instead of always buying the latest and greatest of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or