U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,395,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Well duh..that's pretty much how it works. Just because you make 5-10K more per year, you don't always have to spend all of it. I didn't stop after my first job after high school. In the summer of 1978, I was working in the building sites driving a dump truck picking up construction trash. The job paid $8.00hr! Dang! those cheap Florida wages. From there I moved on to cleaning carpets in 1979 becoming a lead tech and driving my own van. I remember waiting in line at the local bank, waiting to deposit my weekly check.
I recall seeing people much older than me in line with smaller checks then I had. I was clearing 4-6 hundred a week at 20 yrs old. I made sure to put most my money in the bank so I could pay cash that next summer to buy my second car. Nope Florida has always been good to me. When I ever felt underpaid I just looked for another opportunity. Its always easier when you don't have to go paycheck to paycheck because you have an emergency fund and savings! Instead of always buying the latest and greatest of everything.
Good for you, but Florida has nothing to do with it - you would've been a saver in any state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Florida did not even make it in the top 10 cheapest states with lowest cost of living in this article.

The 10 Least Expensive States to Live in the U.S.
Out of that list, most are economically in the ditches - TN, MS, KY, AL, AR, KS. Conditions in those states are not as good as Florida. Most are very rural - IA, NE, MS, KS (with the exception of KC, mostly in MO) and AR do not have even have a metro of a million or more - AL has Birmingham, and it's barely holding on.

I don't know how you can compare any of those states to FL. All are very lightly populated and rural in comparison. Most of those states have little to nothing of interest there, or the economy is so bad people do not want to live there.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Florida did not even make it in the top 10 cheapest states with lowest cost of living in this article.

The 10 Least Expensive States to Live in the U.S.
That may be. However, none of those states offer anything to attract people to it. Having a low COL and having nothing to do there is hellish.

If u run any FL city against any NE city (where most of us come from) you will find the COL to be less here while salaries arent that far behind. It also depends on what u do to make a living. In Brooklyn, NY (one of the most expensive places to live) a crew member working in Burger King there makes the same salary as one working here.

The average rent in Brooklyn NY these days is $3,000 or so a month. Brooklyn rents soar, closing gap with Manhattan - NY Daily News

Here is a list of white collar jobs and their median salaries in NYC. None of the jobs really pay enough to be equivalent to the COL there.

City: New York, New York Median Salary by Job
Job

Salary Data
Executive Assistant
$60,261

Software Engineer
$90,366

Administrative Assistant
636 salaries $43,327

Office Manager
$49,902

Financial Analyst
$63,381

Marketing Manager
$69,456

Account Manager
$58,564

Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
A lot of people bemoan the lower wages in FL compared to the NE. Once you figure in the extra costs to live in the NE there isnt much of a spread between FL and the NE.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,317,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA2FL View Post
Tampa is fine and so is its wages, it is best to work in the IT, health or professional fields. The rental market is kind of up there around $1,000 for an upscale 1/1 or $1,200 for an upscale 2/2, with the requirement of income being x3 of rent. But you can easily find a nice safe clean 1/1 for around $800. If you make +45k a year down here you are living excellent no worries, 100k you are living like a king.
$45k is living excellent with no worries? lol.
girrrrl.

I would imagine that average person making that wage may have a car payment every month, possibly a student loan payment as well....maybe some credit card debt... BAM there goes your "living excellent on $45k" scenario.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A lot of people bemoan the lower wages in FL compared to the NE. Once you figure in the extra costs to live in the NE there isnt much of a spread between FL and the NE.
surprised it took six pages of thread for this to be mentioned.....

Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Quote:
There's quite a bit actually.

The COL is lower here yes, but the wages are so much lower that in many professions the pay is not proportional to the decrease in wage.

Before I left CT I worked for Cablevision and made $23.50/hr. After moving to Florida I got a job at Brighthouse doing the EXACT SAME THING and got paid $11.50/hr. My COL decreased about 25% and my pay decreased 52%!

Just an example, and of course you'd need a ton more examples to really work with... but it's at least true for me.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:29 AM

4,825 posts, read 3,482,647 times
Quote:
That may be. However, none of those states offer anything to attract people to it. Having a low COL and having nothing to do there is hellish.

If u run any FL city against any NE city (where most of us come from) you will find the COL to be less here while salaries arent that far behind. It also depends on what u do to make a living. In Brooklyn, NY (one of the most expensive places to live) a crew member working in Burger King there makes the same salary as one working here.

The average rent in Brooklyn NY these days is $3,000 or so a month. Brooklyn rents soar, closing gap with Manhattan - NY Daily News

Here is a list of white collar jobs and their median salaries in NYC. None of the jobs really pay enough to be equivalent to the COL there.

City: New York, New York Median Salary by Job
Job

Salary Data
Executive Assistant
$60,261

Software Engineer
$90,366

Administrative Assistant
636 salaries $43,327

Office Manager
$49,902

Financial Analyst
$63,381

Marketing Manager
$69,456

Account Manager
$58,564
So out of that 3k rent, you dont have to drive so car payment, no insurance payment either. Not to mention try to rent something in Hyde Park or SOHO thats bigger than a 2 br for less than 2.5k.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:32 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
$45k is living excellent with no worries? lol.
girrrrl.

I would imagine that average person making that wage may have a car payment every month, possibly a student loan payment as well....maybe some credit card debt... BAM there goes your "living excellent on $45k" scenario.
I make $50k base in Indianapolis, which has a 3.5% state income tax and 1.5% county income tax, so I am at $47.5k in "FL money." I have a car payment, rent is $770, travel some (mostly day/weekend trips), eat out quite a bit (mostly at delis/sandwich shops - occasionally a good dinner somewhere), and save a little more than 10% of my income. I am not rolling in the dough by any means, but I'm comfortable.

I have done quite a bit of research on the Tampa area, and am not seeing where I couldn't make it on $50k there like I do here. Some costs would go up - like car insurance - others would go down - state/county income taxes and gas. Food is about the same at Publix in Sarasota vs. Kroger here. I'd be paying some in tolls, but less in other auto costs like more flat tiresRents may be slightly higher, but not much.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,856,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
There's quite a bit actually.

The COL is lower here yes, but the wages are so much lower that in many professions the pay is not proportional to the decrease in wage.

Before I left CT I worked for Cablevision and made $23.50/hr. After moving to Florida I got a job at Brighthouse doing the EXACT SAME THING and got paid $11.50/hr. My COL decreased about 25% and my pay decreased 52%!

Just an example, and of course you'd need a ton more examples to really work with... but it's at least true for me.
And when I went back home in the north a couple months ago I went to Krogers and found oranges cheaper there than we're they are grown Florida, and other fruit and vegetables were also cheaper back home. Now that's real weird and milk was cheaper also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or