U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Reputation: 6010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
There's quite a bit actually.

The COL is lower here yes, but the wages are so much lower that in many professions the pay is not proportional to the decrease in wage.

Before I left CT I worked for Cablevision and made $23.50/hr. After moving to Florida I got a job at Brighthouse doing the EXACT SAME THING and got paid $11.50/hr. My COL decreased about 25% and my pay decreased 52%!

Just an example, and of course you'd need a ton more examples to really work with... but it's at least true for me.
I ran this on the CNN Cost of Living Calculator using a base salary of $50k a year.

Comparable salary in Tampa, FL $37,561
Price difference in Tampa, FL

Groceries 21%less
Housing 40%less
Utilities 9%less
Transportation 13%less
Health Care 25%less

Share your results via:
Source: C2ER. March 2014


http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/picture...d71ac250d6.jpg

82 Crystal St, Stamford, CT 06902

$329,000
Springdale - Glenbrook - Belltown - Stamford, CT 06902 3 beds 1 bathsSingle-Family Home
1,448 sqft

Did you count the $2,500 you paid in state income tax there? How about $1,500 a year to heat the house in winter? Yeah - u pay to cool in summer just like we do.

Brighthouse paying $11.50 an hour?? Your co workers make more than u do.

Customer Service Representative - Hourly
$13.39/hr

Service Technician II - Hourly
$14.25/hr

Account Executive6 Bright House Networks Salaries
$35,833


Technical Support Representative - Hourly
$13.82/hr

Customer Care Professional - Hourly
$12.57/hr

Systems Engineer
$72,203


Call Center Lead
$41,667

Operations Supervisors
$65,657$77k

Technical Specialist - Hourly
$17.15/hr

Direct Sales Representative
$18,980

Service Technician - Hourly

Product Specialist - Hourly
$14.11/hr

Creative Services Producer - Hourly
$20.74/hr

Benefits: Pension Plan, Health Insurance, 401K Plan, 109 % vested after 5 years.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I ran this on the CNN Cost of Living Calculator using a base salary of $50k a year.

Comparable salary in Tampa, FL $37,561
Price difference in Tampa, FL

Groceries 21%less
Housing 40%less
Utilities 9%less
Transportation 13%less
Health Care 25%less

Share your results via:
Source: C2ER. March 2014


http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/picture...d71ac250d6.jpg

82 Crystal St, Stamford, CT 06902

$329,000
Springdale - Glenbrook - Belltown - Stamford, CT 06902 3 beds 1 bathsSingle-Family Home
1,448 sqft

Did you count the $2,500 you paid in state income tax there? How about $1,500 a year to heat the house in winter? Yeah - u pay to cool in summer just like we do.

Brighthouse paying $11.50 an hour?? Your co workers make more than u do.

Customer Service Representative - Hourly
$13.39/hr

Service Technician II - Hourly
$14.25/hr

Account Executive6 Bright House Networks Salaries
$35,833


Technical Support Representative - Hourly
$13.82/hr

Customer Care Professional - Hourly
$12.57/hr

Systems Engineer
$72,203


Call Center Lead
$41,667

Operations Supervisors
$65,657$77k

Technical Specialist - Hourly
$17.15/hr

Direct Sales Representative
$18,980

Service Technician - Hourly

Product Specialist - Hourly
$14.11/hr

Creative Services Producer - Hourly
$20.74/hr

Benefits: Pension Plan, Health Insurance, 401K Plan, 109 % vested after 5 years.
At the time silly... and those are averages.

A technical support rep from my home area can make $8-$10 more per hour. CT is very spotty (nice one grabbing Stamford).

I came from a lower middle class area, Stamford is definitely more expensive.

You want to know what my costs looked like? I'll give them to you.

$935 / mo rent
$180 / mo electric (upwards of $100 more in summer)

Entertainment is about the same price and food is not that much more. Insurance is LOWER in CT by a long shot vs FL

State taxes burn about what you said in a years time



In contrast here's my numbers in FL in a similar home

$775 / mo rent
$100 / electric (upwards of $100 more in summer)

So about $500/mo less to live in FL vs CT -- but then take into account insurance (which is about 40% less) and things start to look a little bit less of a hit. So let's give it an even $400/mo less.

My move to CT brings me from $13/hr to $24/hr which amount to about a $400 difference PER WEEK (accounting for additional taxes).

In my case, it is overall CHEAPER to live in CT with it's much MUCH better wages vs FL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
So out of that 3k rent, you dont have to drive so car payment, no insurance payment either. Not to mention try to rent something in Hyde Park or SOHO thats bigger than a 2 br for less than 2.5k.
no car needed? how do u do your grocery shopping? Trips to doctors? Etc.

I am not talking $3k for SOHO or Hyde Park. I am talking a 5 story pre wwII building in Brooklyn.
Brooklyn, NY Apartments for Rent - 161 Apartments | Rent.com®

Yeah, you can get some for $1,500. I guarantee you - you wouldnt want to visit there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Reputation: 6010
Those are not average salaries, they are median.

Hartford, CT
Weather Forecast
11:08 AM EST
25°
Broken Clouds
Feels Like 13°

Enjoy it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
At the time silly... and those are averages.

A technical support rep from my home area can make $8-$10 more per hour. CT is very spotty (nice one grabbing Stamford).

I came from a lower middle class area, Stamford is definitely more expensive.

You want to know what my costs looked like? I'll give them to you.

$935 / mo rent
$180 / mo electric (upwards of $100 more in summer)

Entertainment is about the same price and food is not that much more. Insurance is LOWER in CT by a long shot vs FL

State taxes burn about what you said in a years time



In contrast here's my numbers in FL in a similar home

$775 / mo rent
$100 / electric (upwards of $100 more in summer)

So about $500/mo less to live in FL vs CT -- but then take into account insurance (which is about 40% less) and things start to look a little bit less of a hit. So let's give it an even $400/mo less.

My move to CT brings me from $13/hr to $24/hr which amount to about a $400 difference PER WEEK (accounting for additional taxes).

In my case, it is overall CHEAPER to live in CT with it's much MUCH better wages vs FL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Those are not average salaries, they are median.

Hartford, CT
Weather Forecast
11:08 AM EST
25°
Broken Clouds
Feels Like 13°

Enjoy it.
Pfft, two can play at that game.

Orlando 2014 in August




Enjoy that hell!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,921,409 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
No, you need to be in a field where excelling at the task is required.

That is not always true either, I have had jobs where i was really close to the boss and I was lousy at my job and I was promoted. I had jobs where I worked hard but and excelled but never moved up because my boss didn't like me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Those are not average salaries, they are median.

Hartford, CT
Weather Forecast
11:08 AM EST
25°
Broken Clouds
Feels Like 13°

Enjoy it.
PS: I can put on enough clothes to make myself comfortable in almost any cold, but I can't take off enough clothes to deal with the hell of Florida summer!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Pfft, two can play at that game.

Orlando 2014 in August




Enjoy that hell!
Been there, done that. I lived in O-town from 88-2005.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,262,027 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
PS: I can put on enough clothes to make myself comfortable in almost any cold, but I can't take off enough clothes to deal with the hell of Florida summer!
If u say so.....

FL in Summer
Attachment 144589


FL in Winter

Attachment 144589

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 07-13-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If u say so.....

FL in Summer
Attachment 144589


FL in Winter

Attachment 144589
The only good season of Florida is winter.


Florida in the summer looks more like your home... cause that's where you'll be, in the A/C!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top