Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 81,066 times

Advertisements

Why are the wages so low in tampa, fl? I live in PA, and wages are more up here? I want to move to florida but now rethinking about it! I would hate to move to a place that pays less for what you do!

Thanks again,
Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaluv13 View Post
Why are the wages so low in tampa, fl? I live in PA, and wages are more up here? I want to move to florida but now rethinking about it! I would hate to move to a place that pays less for what you do!

Thanks again,
Linda
What do you do? What sources have you used to figure salary and wage differences for the zip codes you are moving from and to? I know that in the company I am with, there are four scales and Tampa is number two, most of Pennsylvania is number one, NYC and San Fran are number four...therefore my company wages for the same position are higher in Tampa then most of Pennsylvania(highest wages for the same position are NYC and San Fran area).

Old 04-21-2008, 03:57 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,003 times
Quote:

Thanks again,
Linda
Well it's real simple, supply and demand. There are too few good paying jobs with too many qualified candidates. Companies don't have to pay that much to get someone.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Well it's real simple, supply and demand. There are too few good paying jobs with too many qualified candidates. Companies don't have to pay that much to get someone.
That's it in a nutshell. Lots of competition for jobs here.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,113 times
This is NOT a jab at the original poster, but I'm beginning to see why some of the more "native" people (or the people who've been here for 20+ years) get annoyed by people migrating to Florida.

I'm assuming the majority of the people who want to come to FL are from the NE or the Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, etc)... but then are just so SHOCKED by the low salaries. Again, the south has never had salaries like the NE - and probably won't for a very, very long time. The south and Florida were not built like up north. Florida was once an incredibly desirable place - pristine beaches, beautiful water, an interesting and unique history, etc. A vacation paradise. But little to no industry. Not many huge factories or plants that would've arguably taken away from FL's beauty. So when people want to MOVE down to a vacationers paradise, what happens? So goes Florida's history.

If you can't land a well-paying job (and they DO exist, for the right people), one that can support your family, then why would someone move here? It's unreal... and not smart.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,081,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I somewhat agree, but it's not that simple. If there were so many qualified candidates, there would be more companies here to provide the demand for talented labor. A large portion of educated young professionals are leaving the state because of the lack of opportunity and there's not enough of them (or dare I say, us) to draw major employers. It's like a vicious cycle.

Many parts of Florida are dominated by service oriented industries like call centers, health care, and hospitality. Our economy has been built on tourists, "snow birds" with big money who live here all winter long, and retirees. That doesn't do much for the majority of year-round residents with career ambitions.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,068 times
Quote:

Thanks again,
Linda
Then dont! Whats so hard about that just stay up north!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM

38 posts, read 131,292 times
All the hate for people wanting to move South...and Northerners are considered rude!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgVT View Post
All the hate for people wanting to move South...and Northerners are considered rude!

I am a northerner and it has nothing to do with people moving south its the way the poster stated the concern for low wages with angry faces and all. If it bothers someone that much then yes don`t come down here.

It`s funny that you assumed I was from the south LOL

Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgVT View Post
No, it's not hatred - it's being quite honest and objective. I've heard it all regarding the reasons people from the NE and Midwest move to Florida, mainly - "The weather!" "No more shoveling snow!!!" "The beaches!" "DISNEY!!!" Well, those are nice - but those are what vacations are for. There are so many people (non retirees) who move to FL, take huge pay cuts at first, and then complain non stop about their new life here - how it's "not like Long Island" or "not like Philly".

Growing up in FL, with parents from NYC (but 20+ year residents of FL), I never understood why people would have bumper stickers that said "GO HOME YANKEE"... now, I kind of understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay