U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 PM
 
4 posts, read 23,811 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Ok, I can see that there are some emotional concerns wrt to strip clubs etc. But Holiday Lake Estates seems to be a mix of blue collar retirees and blue collar workers. House prices are at an all time low and the rental rate is high (18% by some accounts and I suspect growing). We been through the neighborhood and there are trashy houses scattered about but mostly it seems to be a sleepy lower end subdivision.


I’ve looked at the crime stats, for all practical purposes, it is low. The subdivision is mostly in a A13 flood plain but there are some streets that are “B” and “C” zoned. As stated house prices are low and renter are high. I’ll take the free house… Investing in one is the question.

So putting emotion aside, what are some concrete arguments for and against buying investment property there? Assessments of US 19 was mentioned, are these the emotional concerns or are there actual tax assessments being levied?

Looking for some good, unemotional, analytical thoughts..

PB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
 
15,117 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Reputation: 18219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Ok, I can see that there are some emotional concerns wrt to strip clubs etc. But Holiday Lake Estates seems to be a mix of blue collar retirees and blue collar workers. House prices are at an all time low and the rental rate is high (18% by some accounts and I suspect growing). We been through the neighborhood and there are trashy houses scattered about but mostly it seems to be a sleepy lower end subdivision.


Ive looked at the crime stats, for all practical purposes, it is low. The subdivision is mostly in a A13 flood plain but there are some streets that are B and C zoned. As stated house prices are low and renter are high. Ill take the free house Investing in one is the question.

So putting emotion aside, what are some concrete arguments for and against buying investment property there? Assessments of US 19 was mentioned, are these the emotional concerns or are there actual tax assessments being levied?

Looking for some good, unemotional, analytical thoughts..

PB
Re: US 19 - those were emotional assessments - it is an ugly commercial strip, and quite dangerous to drive on. I personally hate ever having to drive there.

You can see by the responses, that the majority don't think much of Holiday. If your only concern is to get a cheap house or property, then you can probably do pretty well on that score. Just remember that there are huge #'s of people trying to dump theirs, this is not an area that will ever be sought after, IMO. I hated it 30 years ago and it is so much worse today than it was then.

I just think there are SO many better choices to buy investment property than this place, you have some great opportunities out there, I would reseach some other areas before you buy here.

JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
824 posts, read 2,538,484 times
Reputation: 954
I don't know where you found the stats that say Holiday Lakes Estates has low crime stats...I can tell you that is wrong or severly outdated. Auto burglaries rank an all time high in that development, there are numerous individuals living there that have outstanding warrants, and several drug houses have been identified there as well in the past years. The only halfway decent area of HLE is the westernmost portion of it....pretty much anything west of Mandarin Dr. The rest of it is terrible.
As for Holiday in general, the strip clubs are rampant, the element from Tarpon Springs (read: crack dealers) venture over the line and hang out at the 7-11 at Alt. 19 at the entrance to HLE, the streets are run down and it's old...plus you have prostitution at US19 and Bonita Rd....right around the corner from HLE. Oh...not to mention the HUD apartment complex right nearby. Choose a better area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Lutz, FL
26 posts, read 73,339 times
Reputation: 18
Holiday has some nice areas too!! Check out Baillie's Bluff (Pop-Star Madonna was rumored to look at piece of real estate in the area a few years back), Key Vista and the Gulf Trace neighborhood.

Key Vista is an upper middle class area. Bailles' Bluff is a tranquil waterfront community with many expensive homes. Holiday also has many retirees.

Last edited by LeoLad; 08-05-2008 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
824 posts, read 2,538,484 times
Reputation: 954
Agree! Key Vista is beautiful. Unless you are looking at a higher-priced home on the water, Baille's Bluff may be out of that market- there are homes along the bluff, but they are across the street from a large hydroelectric powerplant....somewhat of an eyesore if you ask me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
 
4 posts, read 23,811 times
Reputation: 11
Hi Rich67,

Did some more research and I see that the police activity in HLE is HIGH.

HLE Subdivision Activity


Thanks!

PB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,254,014 times
Reputation: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Hi Rich67,

Did some more research and I see that the police activity in HLE is HIGH.

HLE Subdivision Activity


Thanks!

PB
It's an awful neighborhood. My wife's family all used to live in there. Years ago when it was nicer my wife ended up having a drug house right next to hers. Her mother couldn't sell her house a couple years ago because half the houses on the block had cars and trash in their yards. It used to be a nice place with older residents 15 years ago.

Only place I'd live in West Pasco is around Trinity area down to River Crossing. Every where else has run down housing or traffic nightmares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 AM
 
4 posts, read 23,811 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's an awful neighborhood. My wife's family all used to live in there. Years ago when it was nicer my wife ended up having a drug house right next to hers. Her mother couldn't sell her house a couple years ago because half the houses on the block had cars and trash in their yards. It used to be a nice place with older residents 15 years ago.

Only place I'd live in West Pasco is around Trinity area down to River Crossing. Every where else has run down housing or traffic nightmares.
Thanks Gaternation (Go Gators - Gator '82)

I have not read one positive comment about HLE or Holiday in general. What if anything is being done about this at the city government level? Is there an initiative to clean up Holiday? Has the strip club problem by acknowledge at the city government level? HLE will continue to get worse as the housing prices continue to fall and the one time retiree only subdivision is transformed into an low income non-retiree neighborhood. But people will move back to Florida. In a few years rich and not so rich people will begin to retire and they will need a place to live. The only houses that you can buy in Atlanta that are less the 50K are in the ghetto. While HLE is not your white collar swim and tennis model community, it is not a ghetto either, at least not yet. Im still looking for the positive comment that indicates that this problem has been acknowledged and something is planned. Keep in mind that we are considering a house in this area as an investment. Buy low sell high...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 AM
 
15,117 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Reputation: 18219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Thanks Gaternation (Go Gators - Gator '82)

I have not read one positive comment about HLE or Holiday in general. What if anything is being done about this at the city government level? Is there an initiative to clean up Holiday? Has the strip club problem by acknowledge at the city government level? HLE will continue to get worse as the housing prices continue to fall and the one time retiree only subdivision is transformed into an low income non-retiree neighborhood. But people will move back to Florida. In a few years rich and not so rich people will begin to retire and they will need a place to live. The only houses that you can buy in Atlanta that are less the 50K are in the ghetto. While HLE is not your white collar swim and tennis model community, it is not a ghetto either, at least not yet. Im still looking for the positive comment that indicates that this problem has been acknowledged and something is planned. Keep in mind that we are considering a house in this area as an investment. Buy low sell high...
You've read the comments. Buy at your own risk. I wouldn't take something there for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 10,981,077 times
Reputation: 9459
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Thanks Gaternation (Go Gators - Gator '82)

I have not read one positive comment about HLE or Holiday in general. What if anything is being done about this at the city government level? Is there an initiative to clean up Holiday? Has the strip club problem by acknowledge at the city government level? HLE will continue to get worse as the housing prices continue to fall and the one time retiree only subdivision is transformed into an low income non-retiree neighborhood. But people will move back to Florida. In a few years rich and not so rich people will begin to retire and they will need a place to live. The only houses that you can buy in Atlanta that are less the 50K are in the ghetto. While HLE is not your white collar swim and tennis model community, it is not a ghetto either, at least not yet. Im still looking for the positive comment that indicates that this problem has been acknowledged and something is planned. Keep in mind that we are considering a house in this area as an investment. Buy low sell high...
If you are looking for an investment property there are much better areas to consider. There are some really great deals in nice areas you'd want to live in if you're willing to look around. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top