Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 AM

20 posts, read 91,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjtoledo View Post
Same here. Never heard Dunedin and violence in the same sentence.

CherryPicker: I would say that if you are looking for a small single family detached home (2BR/1.5) on the nicer areas/streets in Dunedin (Fairway estates, 2 circles South of Downtown and west of Douglass or areas 1 mile from main street), you could be looking at 180-200s. Although many of the homes in Dunedin are not large on average. I'd speak w/ a realtor though...
Thanks for your reply...Looking forward to the visit...Do you know anything about Sun City Center....On line some of the condos look great and are very low priced....
Are there many condos in Dunedin...Looking for no maintenance...
Thanks
cj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM

123 posts, read 346,050 times
Sun City Center is mostly a retirement living. Lots of assisted living facilities and nursing homes and a fair drive to get to larger shopping areas such as Brandon/ Riverview area a little north but larger. Way away from the water or beaches though. You would have to drive to Bradenton and Siesta Key area which is nice. Of course I prefer the Dunedin, Safety Harbor area.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 AM

799 posts, read 3,680,165 times
I would like to know if the real estate market is any better there. I would like to eventually relocate to the Dunedin area but I am a realtor and need to be able to sell houses! My typical price range I work with is between 300-800,000 and is thriving in houston but I have been wanting to relocate to Florida for the last 2 years. Is it going to get anybetter? I would like to get licensed for Florida but have been putting it off and even considering other states such as Georgia instead.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 AM

8 posts, read 25,483 times
Besides Dunedin, you might also want to check into Crystal Beach, a little north of there. Crystal Beach is a bit smaller and a nice little walkable town where you can be near the water comparatively inexpensively.

BTW, I have lived in St. Pete for 13 years and like it here. It's a city, but not bad as far as cities go. You have to use common sense, of course, as you would anywhere.

Cindy

Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 17,114 times
Default Culture - Open University - Public Transit

I'm new to the forum, but am enjoying your posts very much. Some things I haven't seen discussed, but which are the most important to me as I ponder my decision to buy in the area:

1. Which of the smaller towns (Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Valrico, etc.) would offer the richest cultural life? By this I mean a professional orchestra concert, a visiting museum exhibit, live theatre (not community theatre), etc.

2. Which of the smaller towns (as above), if any, offer access to university facilities such as auditing classes, attending lectures, access to libraries, etc.?

3. Which of the smaller towns (as above), if any, have any sort of public transit system? Can I get from, say, downtown Dunedin to downtown Tampa via public transit? Can I get from Tampa Airport to Palm Harbor without paying an arm and a leg?

4. Which of the smaller towns have a proper downtown where I can buy a cup of coffee, a newspaper, a few groceries, a paperbackbook, a screwdriver, or a birthday card--and I can walk there from my home (two questions here--which towns have housing walkable to the downtown, and which of the towns have downtowns which consist of more than expensive boutiques)?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 PM

26 posts, read 97,592 times
Default Dunedin - Crime Riddled ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoDiva View Post
violence?? in DUNEDIN????

omg, i've been warned to stay away from St Pete, and parts of Tampa, but DUNEDIN?? it's a quaint beautiful little town; this is the very first time i have ever heard anyone say anything bad about Dunedin.
Me either. Dunedin is very small..population wise...land wise too. Stay away from St Pete ? You really must check for yourself as to the validity of a statement. Relying on someone's unresearched blanket statement is most inappropriate.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Be Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
I would like to know if the real estate market is any better there. I would like to eventually relocate to the Dunedin area but I am a realtor and need to be able to sell houses! My typical price range I work with is between 300-800,000 and is thriving in houston but I have been wanting to relocate to Florida for the last 2 years. Is it going to get anybetter? I would like to get licensed for Florida but have been putting it off and even considering other states such as Georgia instead.
Just know that if you get your license here in Pinellas County, you will be one of about 5500 realtors. We're not making very much, but sure, come on down. Hope you have a spouse that's making money. ;-)

Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 PM

Default St Petersburg - A Better Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-hawthorne View Post
I'm new to the forum, but am enjoying your posts very much. Some things I haven't seen discussed, but which are the most important to me as I ponder my decision to buy in the area:

1. Which of the smaller towns (Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Valrico, etc.) would offer the richest cultural life? By this I mean a professional orchestra concert, a visiting museum exhibit, live theatre (not community theatre), etc.

2. Which of the smaller towns (as above), if any, offer access to university facilities such as auditing classes, attending lectures, access to libraries, etc.?

3. Which of the smaller towns (as above), if any, have any sort of public transit system? Can I get from, say, downtown Dunedin to downtown Tampa via public transit? Can I get from Tampa Airport to Palm Harbor without paying an arm and a leg?

4. Which of the smaller towns have a proper downtown where I can buy a cup of coffee, a newspaper, a few groceries, a paperbackbook, a screwdriver, or a birthday card--and I can walk there from my home (two questions here--which towns have housing walkable to the downtown, and which of the towns have downtowns which consist of more than expensive boutiques)?

I'd love to hear your opinions.
Hmm....a novella of questions. None of your town list, except Dunedin is going to come close. Dunedin is next to Clearwater...which, by the way, traverses Pinellas County to Tampa Bay. Dunedin utilizes the Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority. Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority Clearwater has the Ruth Eckerd Concert Hall , but it's almost in Safety Harbor on the Bayside. If you are wanting that coffee shop atmosphere, then try downtown St Petersburg. It has the feel of a sleepy city. The traffic putzes along. You can't go fast. There is shopping downtown and it's not all expensive boutiques. There's even a grocery store downtown. There are some condos near downtown for around $125k for about 500sf. Univ. of South Florida has a campus just South of the downtown center. There are several museums downtown: The Dali Museum, Florida International Museum, The Holocaust Museum. Live Theater? Not sure what you mean. Community theater is live theater. There's the Mahaffey Theater / Concert Hall downtown on the waterfront. Library downtown...there's the Mirror Lake Library at 280 5th St N.

So, you see, St Petersburg has it all. Ready to move ?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:38 PM

123 posts, read 346,050 times
Fact is in the US there is very little GOOD public transportation. Forget it if you need a quick trip anywhere. Buses are rarely on time and frequent changes probably necessary. Best bet is to drive ( a fuel friendly car) and same goes for getting to a University. St Pete Community College is closest. The others would involve crossing one of the bay bridges.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 17,114 times
Default st. pete looking better all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteFLGuy View Post
....... If you are wanting that coffee shop atmosphere, then try downtown St Petersburg. It has the feel of a sleepy city. The traffic putzes along. You can't go fast. There is shopping downtown and it's not all expensive boutiques. There's even a grocery store downtown. There are some condos near downtown for around $125k for about 500sf. Univ. of South Florida has a campus just South of the downtown center. There are several museums downtown: The Dali Museum, Florida International Museum, The Holocaust Museum. Live Theater? Not sure what you mean. Community theater is live theater. There's the Mahaffey Theater / Concert Hall downtown on the waterfront. Library downtown...there's the Mirror Lake Library at 280 5th St N.

So, you see, St Petersburg has it all. Ready to move ?
Your description is very enticing! I like the idea of traffic putzing along. And to do grocery shopping downtown--what a treat! I have heard that St. Pete's downtown is undergoing development and postive changes--perhaps a good time to be buying there.

I'll do some digging around on Craig's List and the MLS and see what I can find within walking distance of downtown. The Looper people have a great downtown map which I've printed off. The Mirror Lake area looks beautiful. Google maps lets me practically walk down the streets. What more can I ask for?

A friend of mine said the same thing: Dunedin and St. Pete score high for downtowns. You just have to decide if you want small or big.

Thank you for taking the time to write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay