U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 55,762 times

Advertisements

Hello
My husband is getting transferred to Tampa. He will work very near the airport. I am having a hard time figuring out where we should be looking at houses. We have 3 children ranging from 9 to 4 so schools are very important to me. Can anyone offer some advice about where to look as far as zip codes. We are from Ohio and we hate it here so we are very excited about this move. We would like to have a pool too.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 PM

21 posts, read 56,718 times
Hi -

You will love it here. Personally I will have to recommend North Tampa. and I mean north, north. We live in Lutz. We are only 2 miles from the elementary school.

There are a couple of homes in out neighborhood for sale, and we are but just a few minutes from the elementary and middle school.

You will also find that most homes have pools. At least in our neighborhood.

Not knowing what your price range is, it is hard to recommend an area.

As far as the commute, my husband travels 33 miles one way and it takes him about 45 minutes. (North Tampa to Clearwater/Largo area).

You are going to love our winters. We actually used the pool on Thanksgiving and New Years day

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befana View Post
Hello
My husband is getting transferred to Tampa. He will work very near the airport. I am having a hard time figuring out where we should be looking at houses. We have 3 children ranging from 9 to 4 so schools are very important to me. Can anyone offer some advice about where to look as far as zip codes. We are from Ohio and we hate it here so we are very excited about this move. We would like to have a pool too.
Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
The best thing is to give us your price range and an acceptable commute time. Are you looking to buy or rent?

Also, if you know work hours, since different times will either add or subtract from time spent on the road.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 AM

Default More info

Thanks for replying I am sorry I forgot to include the price range! I am a little overwhelmed. My husband will be coming down to start work in a couple of weeks and we will be down when our house sells or after our kids get out of school in June.

We are looking to spend up to 350000.00 for a house. I would like to buy but also thinking of maybe renting for a few months to make sure I like the area we pick. We will defintely buy a house though even if only after a few months. With 3 kids and a dog an apartment is not going to be fun.

I believe he can set his own hours. He is a morning person so he would probably leave around 6:30. I guess maybe a 30 minute commute time? we are spoiled now it takes him 12 minutes. He says that he will drive so that our kids can be in the best schools. I have only been through Tampa one time as we were at Disney and drove to visit Clearwater Beach so I need lots of help! I want a family friendly area where I can find activities for the kids like soccer and ballet.
Thanks for any help at all!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,554,645 times
Hi! I live in NW Tampa area and love it. We're not quite to Lutz but I like Lutz, too, esp. if you can get right next to the Veterans. I live just a 1/2mi from the Veterans, worked downtown, and it took 25 min. The airport is 15 min, esp. in 6:30am traffic (that's when I drove to work, too). I don't know what you're looking for in a home, but PM me if you want. Moderator cut: ..

Last edited by Keeper; 04-26-2008 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: If you are a realtor, join the realtor group so ppl will know

Old 04-26-2008, 06:26 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,554,645 times
Just to add....the elementary and middle schools are "A" rated and just a mile or two up the road. I like our elementary school b/c it has only 5 or 6 sections of each grade compared to, say, McKittrick, which is also A rated but is so overcrowded.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 AM

Default thanks and more

thanks for the responses so far. I defintely want 4 or even 5 bedrooms. But I am most concerned with the schools. Can I have the zip codes so i know what to put in realtor.com?

You are all so kind to help me. It makes me not so nervous if people are all nice like you have been!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:22 PM

384 posts, read 2,008,840 times
Annesg,
What elementary school do your kids go to? Just curious because we were looking at Heritage Harbor in Lutz and that is zoned for McKitrick.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 AM

190 posts, read 686,639 times
As far as a price range for a home goes, Just remember when you do go to buy a house, high property taxes, and astronomical home insurance cost. Another extremely high cost compared to what I am used to in Wisconsin is the auto insurance, unbelievable! My guess it is so high is because of the high traffic area meaning a lot of accidents. Oh ya, may have to figure in the cost of running the ac unit for a good part of the year, from everything I have gathered it costs more than gas for heating.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,511 times
Although I can't comment on buying a home (I'm a renter... lol), I can comment on what I feel as for the area I live in. I have lived in the Brandon area for 2 of the 3 years I've been in the area and really like it here. I feel the crime and overall safety of this area compared to much of Tampa in general is very good.

The commute... well, is the commute. It takes me about an hour in the morning to get to work (MacDill AFB) but I absolutely feel that driving a little further is worth feeling good about where you live.

I've been told that the schools here are nice and doing well - but our boys are currently up north with their Dad (I'm the step-father).

Good luck with your move!
Matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or