Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,483,139 times

Advertisements

St. Pete is very congested, especially most Winters.

Do yourself a favor and look in Sarasota. It's a much more lovely place.

If you're wanting to stay around St. Pete, go north to Clearwater and along the beach north of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 05:28 AM

30,150 posts, read 20,875,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

If you're wanting to stay around St. Pete, go north to Clearwater and along the beach north of there.
Even worse traffic around CLW beach. And around spring break jake life is no beach around CLW beach.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:42 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,591,002 times
Quote:

Honestly it's anecdotal, and generally, I'm not going over to the beaches, but thanks to the increased number of roads leading in and out of St. Pete and generally size and scale, I find that St. Petersburg overall feels less congested at most times than Sarasota does. Anyone who has waited around 41, University, 75 at Rush Hour or tried to go to the beach at Siesta, Lido, or Longboat... it's not a picnic. I've experienced WAY more backups there than I have anywhere in St. Petersburg, with the possible exclusion of if you are driving over from Tampa to St. Petersburg at rush hour. Sarasota's core does not have any roads running in or near it, and though infrastructurally it would be difficult, it could stand to use either a public transit improvement or some sort of bypass like Lakeland even has with the 570. Of course, land challenges are more difficult here, than Lakeland.. but I digress.

Sarasota has some nice qualities, but I would think that a younger family might find more entertainment options, family stuff, etc. in St. Petersburg, especially given that they are coming from Southern California. That isn't to say that Sarasota doesn't have options as it does, but St. Petersburg is going to have more primary ones.. given that it is the primary node of a 1M person county bordering a county of 1.4M, compared with Sarasota County, a 400K population county bordering another 400K. Sarasota does have a better-acclaimed school district, though.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:30 PM

346 posts, read 302,420 times
Quote:

Avoid Largo though. Bad place. Seminole is ok. I could deal with it.. rivals for a reason? I think so.

Belleair.. one of the nicest places I seen, but has garbage around it, but man, its loveli otherwise and that Indian rocks bridge. Thats mi kind of place. For St Pete, I like 4th and 38th Ave most. The area bi Target is overall good. Meadowlawn I liked a lot when I lived there. And for Bradenton, I like some of Cortez. Manatee Ave. Even Oneco didnt have the awful crime people made it seem like. Largo is worse up there bi Missouri. Hell I even like Old Tampa IF I cant be in South Tampa. Some of Brandon but all malls. I like Apollo Beach, Seffner even, not great but not as bad as its made out, like Oneco.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:32 PM

10 posts, read 12,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
I saw the Californication in St Pete and imo it was making it worse. More expensive, yuppie attitudes. And it still didnt get rid of existing problems. To anyone from CA or say Seattle pr Portland who want to move to St Pete, stay home. I seen your area before and its a mess youd just be bringing to the new area. And Carls Jr aint coming or El Pollo Loco.

It sounds like even in the midst of a pandemic, yuppies still think theyre gonna live the life they used to. And buy in a new place while living the same lifestyle they did in the old one and also.. Dont bring your kids. Last thing anyone needs are west coast young families with their kids flooding an area.

Again seen it from personal experience. Florida if its not for old people should be a state for young singles to meet and have fun. Not have more whitebread families coming in bringing 0 culture with them. Id rather have the older people tbh.

K.End rant.

Thanks for the laugh, but I'll move where the hell I want thank you. No ''yuppie'' attitude here with my family.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:33 PM

207 posts, read 262,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings10 View Post
We actually found a home in the Coquina key neighborhood that we like. Any info you can give me on that particular area? Thx.
Definitely don't recommend the coquina key area. It's not the nice side of the water either. If you're sold on St. Pete then look at Venetian Isle, Snell Isle, Coffee Pot area on the East Side (33704 zip Code and Don Cesar, Tierra Verde Area on the West Side (33706).

If you'd consider going north a bit, I grew up in Belleair Beach, Sand Key and Belleair. All on the water. Great access to the intracoastal, beach, beach dining. I went to both private and public schools. The Florida school system has it's own challenges. Zip codes there are 33756, 33770 and 33786.

Happy to answer more questions.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 12,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Definitely don't recommend the coquina key area. It's not the nice side of the water either. If you're sold on St. Pete then look at Venetian Isle, Snell Isle, Coffee Pot area on the East Side (33704 zip Code and Don Cesar, Tierra Verde Area on the West Side (33706).

If you'd consider going north a bit, I grew up in Belleair Beach, Sand Key and Belleair. All on the water. Great access to the intracoastal, beach, beach dining. I went to both private and public schools. The Florida school system has it's own challenges. Zip codes there are 33756, 33770 and 33786.

Happy to answer more questions.

Thanks! We're are actually here now looking at houses and crossed off coquina key very fast lol. We are staying in treasure island and really like the area.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 6,371 times
Check out Shore Acres, Snell Isle or Historic Old Northeast in Saint Petersburg. Harbor Oaks is a little known area in Clearwater north of downtown that is absolutely beautiful. The smartest move for you to make would be to just go to the beaches, on your budget the world is your oyster.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 2,831 times
Was about to make a very similar post (not CA, east coast city) but am now going to follow your thread lakings.

Is there an area more oriented toward raising school aged kids and families with less vacation rentals? Does that exist? Not sure how singalong Jimmy Buffet hour next door would go over on a school night (no judgement). That's probably the "whitebread" comment earlier?

We're seeking a great view of beach or bay, so near water. I have 3 kids, so no need to be right near a town/city because we have no time for a social life. I do need to be reasonably close to TPA/SRQ to travel though.

We have spent lots of time in SWFLA from St Pete down through Sarasota as vacationers and love the whole area. Hope we can make it work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay