U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:33 PM

11 posts, read 40,249 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We're living now in Deerfield Beach (Ft. Lauderdale area) and we just spent the weekend for the first time in Clearwater/ST Pete area. My wife absolutely loved ST. Pete and would like to move there, I'm pretty easy going and it seemed like a cool place so I dont mind. We only had time to check out the historic downtown area and the pier and the shops/restaurants on 4th street, I think that was the main street. It seemed liked a very nice family adn activity oriented and lots of things to do.
But what is it really like? Is housing cheaper than on this side of Florida? Is it affordable to live in the downtown area that's within walking distance to the pier and shops? We're looking for a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment until we buy, are rentals affordable? We're both in our late 30's and have a child ready to go to college?
Are the neighborhoods safe. walkable in that area at night?
Any info you could give us would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 PM

99 posts, read 332,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolinrome View Post
Hi All,
We're living now in Deerfield Beach (Ft. Lauderdale area) and we just spent the weekend for the first time in Clearwater/ST Pete area. My wife absolutely loved ST. Pete and would like to move there, I'm pretty easy going and it seemed like a cool place so I dont mind. We only had time to check out the historic downtown area and the pier and the shops/restaurants on 4th street, I think that was the main street. It seemed liked a very nice family adn activity oriented and lots of things to do.
But what is it really like? Is housing cheaper than on this side of Florida? Is it affordable to live in the downtown area that's within walking distance to the pier and shops? We're looking for a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment until we buy, are rentals affordable? We're both in our late 30's and have a child ready to go to college?
Are the neighborhoods safe. walkable in that area at night?
Any info you could give us would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!!
St. Pete definitely is an up and coming area and has a lot of great things going on. I used to travel to the other coast of Florida for work and YES it is much cheaper over here. ( haven't looked at Deerfield houses in a while but I assume things have come down over there as well)

For a good resource about the areas in St Pete, check out Creative Loafing Tampa | Special Sections | Urban Explorer's Handbook 2008 There are a few areas to check out including Old Northeast, downtown and South St. Pete.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,240,178 times
Yes, yes, yes, and YES. St. Pete rocks.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:32 AM

381 posts, read 1,549,820 times
I would pretty much say St. Pete meets your requirements. I'm not an expert, but I can say pretty positively that it's much cheaper than the Ft. Lauderdale area.

A lot of areas are "up and coming", and there are others that have already come up. A lot of Downtown has been completely renovated over the last 10 years, and whereas many would feel uncomfortable walking around after sunset then, it's now a nighttime hot spot (especially Baywalk). Very well lit, lots of upscale businesses and restaurants, very walkable.

There are several colleges in this area, the main one being St. Petersburg College. I've heard good things about it. They actually have a center in the downtown area, but their main location is more on the West end of St. Pete.

Good luck

Old 05-03-2008, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 79,000 times
Highly recommend the St. Pete area. I've been familiar with the area for about a year now. Haven't seen anything bad during that time. So many awesome beaches to choose from, lots of places to work (Raymond James, HS Network, Valpak, etc). Apartments seem affordable in the $800-$900 range for 3 bedroom. North St. Pete is the better area.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 PM

367 posts, read 1,537,126 times
totally agree with all posters, St Pete is a wonderful place to live for 30 somethings.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
You may have already moved to St. Pete but here's my insider's take on it. The historic district is wonderful, Old Northeast in particular as well as downtown, although the north side of town is a bit better than the south end. As to cost, I suppose you would have to define affordable. I found it easy and inexpensive to live there two years ago. Home prices were reasonable and rentals were certainly affordable. You have to be careful where you live. The downtown and Old Northeast sections are in flux. Great home, another great home, crack house, seedy apartment, nice apartment, great home, great home and so on. What I'm saying is that it's all mixed together. The farther north you go in this section, the better and more consistent. Stay east of 4th Street in this neighborhood. There are other older neighborhoods in St. Pete too but I considered this area the best. The cultural scene in St. Pete is good, maybe not as exciting as South Florida but certainly more happening than Central Florida. Tampa is close by for serious shopping - just across the bridge. St. Pete is conservative, moreso than Tampa, but livable, even for the liberal minded and the downtown area is quite diverse. The one and only drawback I found in St. Pete was the racial tension and a great deal of bigotry - not directed at me personally, but ever-present nonetheless. In addition to causing flashbacks to another time, say the 1950s, it lends itself to a bit of an unsafe feeling for everyone. Otherwise it is a wonderful place to live.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,748 times
I've lived here in St Pete for 32 years now and let me say I'm trying to get out!! It's become way too over crowed, traffic is horrible, you can't see the beaches from the roads there's too many condo's and hotels. The violence people tend to over look.. oddly enough. The Urhuru (sp) ( a black supremacy group) controls most of down town, except baywalk (that's gangs area at night). Multiple murders, rapes, and gangs run the down town area. North of Tyrone is a little better. There you have the white supremacy groups (which include arian & outlaws- the biker gang ) vietnam gangs and hispanics. So, pick your battle. It's basically a hot, mini New York... and the worse our economy gets the worse it will get.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 AM

96 posts, read 662,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara0766 View Post
I've lived here in St Pete for 32 years now and let me say I'm trying to get out!! It's become way too over crowed, traffic is horrible, you can't see the beaches from the roads there's too many condo's and hotels. The violence people tend to over look.. oddly enough. The Urhuru (sp) ( a black supremacy group) controls most of down town, except baywalk (that's gangs area at night). Multiple murders, rapes, and gangs run the down town area. North of Tyrone is a little better. There you have the white supremacy groups (which include arian & outlaws- the biker gang ) vietnam gangs and hispanics. So, pick your battle. It's basically a hot, mini New York... and the worse our economy gets the worse it will get.
Is your post just a joke?

Seriously, I've been researching St. Petersburg for a couple of months now and I've never heard anyone mention any of the violent crime and multiple gang and race problems that you claim are in St. Pete!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,346,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara0766 View Post

Thats the funniest thing I have read in the Tampa forum.

ST Pete is nowhere like that you must be talking about Downtown Tijuana or something because that is not the town I have been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay