Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times

Advertisements

something to bare in mind, St Pete did have some race riots a while back. I think its better now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:36 AM

62 posts, read 197,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaluna View Post
I would strongly recommend Tampa over Orlando. Orlando seems to me to be far more segregated. Although, I have not traveled to every neighborhood in Orlando so I could be wrong. It is just my overall impression.
Since you have young children and have a generous budget for housing I would strongly recommend you check out Lutz(33558) directly north of Tampa or Westchase for safe, family-friendly neighborhoods with excellent schools. I did however have a conversation with an African-American woman originally from New York City who was a Westchase resident and she mentioned she was disappointed in the lack of tolerance in Westchase. She felt her neighbors in Westchase did not make an effort to get to know her and her family. My personal experience of Westchase is that many of the people I run into seem rather aloof/not particularly friendly so it may not have been an issue with race. I personally find that Tampa and probably most areas in general are segregated by class. You have the means to afford a very nice home in an upscale area so you will most likely have the good fortune to place your children in wonderful schools in great neighborhoods. It is a sad commentary about our society but that is the way it seems to be.
I think it is admirable that you want to make a difference and are dedicating your life to improve the lives of others. The first areas that I can think of which could certainly use a facility, such as the one you would like to open, would be: Ybor City area, University area(near USF), Temple Terrace, Seminole Heights, to name a few.
Please read a previous post of mine below for more information re: Lutz:

I would strongly suggest Lutz(33558) for a family-friendly, close to everything, excellent schools and safe neighborhood. Westchase is also safe and has excellent schools but you will definitely get more bang for your buck in Lutz with the benefit of being moments from the Vets Express which takes you downtown. Some of the communities within Lutz with excellent schools are: Heritage Harbor(family friendly pool/golf-course, gated community), Villarosa(family-friendly, no community pool) and Cheval(private, gated, upscale community). Please read my previous post listed below:

I live in Heritage Harbor and I can tell you firsthand that it is a child-friendly family community. It consists of predominantly young families and it is a very safe neighborhood. I have three children ranging in ages from 7-12 years old and we love living here. Our home has a pool but my children love going to the community pool because of the "cool slide" and all the other children they meet there. My children also have friends that live in the neighboring communities of Cheval(upscale) and Villarosa(no community pool) who love to visit at our home because of all the fun things to do here. We have tennis courts, volleyball and basketball courts, there is also a tot lot, small hockey rink, clubhouse, restaurant and small gym and golf course. We pay $110 a month for our HOA fee and we feel it is inexpensive for everything you have access to. Our HOA fee is also less expensive than other planned communities. About once a month there is an organized community event, such as concerts at the pool, community garage sales, Easter egg hunts, Breakfast with Santa, Holiday parties at the pool with live bands and barbecue for 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc. Our clubhouse also has an onsite afterschool program called SRK camp and during the summer they have full-day and half-day camps. Residents have priority enrollment and it is very convenient for working parents to have an afterschool/camp program located so close to home.
Our schools are A+ schools and consistently rank in the top ten of Hillsborough County Schools. Our elementary school McKitrick ranks in the top 7 and the middle school ranks in the top 3 middle schools for Hillsborough County. Currently there is a new high school being built which is slated to open for the 2009 school year. I believe it will be named Steinbrenner High School(for George Steinbrenner of the NY Yankees), which I am sure will be in the top 3 high schools for Hillsborough County. There is a lot of money being pumped into that school so I am sure it will be exceptional. Check out Greatschools.net for the statistics on schools within Hillsborough county or any county within FL or nationally.
As far as the commute, we are only a few minutes from the Veterans Expressway which takes you downtown and there is currently construction underway for another entrance ramp right on Lutz Lake Fern road near the new high school.
There are many good deals right now in Heritage Harbor and the neighboring communites of Villarosa and Cheval, so you should have no trouble finding exactly what you want. I think you and your children will enjoy living in this area.

Good luck to you and your family.
very detailed info....interesting!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 33,406 times
From someone who was a kid living in that area..
I live in homestead now and grew up in cutler ridge honestly i understand too well what your talking about.
I'd pick Tampa, I went to middle school and high school there and think it's way better then the miami area.
Try odesa or maybe new tampa for new developing areas.
The areas you listed for orlando are decent areas and i suggest them but, from living there shortly i dont know to much about the schools.
The people to me are completely different from the ones your talking about in homestead.
I've also lived in tampa & orlando
I suggest not living on the west side of orlando depending on where you pick to live it can be nice or put u right back to a homestead like environment.
homestead seems to be developing but, its what's around homestead that's what i don't like.
And if u go with tampa pick a good school!

Old 06-14-2008, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 17,944 times
Having lived in Orlando for 2 years, I can definately say you will prefer Tampa. It is more cosmopolitan, diverse, friendly and has more of a "family atmosphire" rather than a "tourist town". The crime has skyrocketed in Orlando and surrounding areas, and "good" jobs are very hard to find since it is mostly toursit related and the pay is terrible. Your young children will do much better socialy, scholasticly and as they grow older, economically. Orlando is much too transiant. Between the two, Tampa and the surrounding area is a much better place for you to raise your family and make a good living. You can always go to Orlando to visit.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 9,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
We lived in Orlando for 4 years and I have nothing good to say about it! Move to Tampa and pretend Orlando doesn't exist. This is my short answer, the longer version could take days to type.......I agree with kelly3120 100%

You'll love Tampa.

Alexandra
Well, I have been in Orlando for ten years, and am ready to get the hell out!

I feel land-locked here, and have always felt like I was an outsider, although I have my share of acquaintances, I do not have the real friends that I used to up north. But anyway maybe it is just that I am older. I want to move to Pinellas county, and be closer to my family in Pasco, and have the true Florida atmosphere. Orlando is not true Florida. It is like Columbus Ohio in Florida only with Disneyland, hot weather, and rude people.

With all of that said I will say that Orlando is tolerant for various cultures. If I was Spanish, Creole, or Asian I would definitely feel at home here. This was not meant to sound rude. I also think that African-Americans are an integral part of Orlando (White Collar) and that the OP will feel comfortable here.

Nonetheless, I am ready for beaches and water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay