Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM

717 posts, read 773,143 times

Advertisements

So I hear a Teacher in Land O lakes was fired for showing the students a magic trick. I guess thats considered "Wizardry" in the Bible Belt?
Leading to my question-
My Wife and I would like to settle in the Tampa area. Are most of the suburbs Bible Belt regions? Are there any suburbs that have a more Northeast Roman Catholic influence rather then Evangelical Christian?
Please enlighten me to the religous demographics of the Tampa region.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM

29 posts, read 122,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
So I hear a Teacher in Land O lakes was fired for showing the students a magic trick. I guess thats considered "Wizardry" in the Bible Belt?
Leading to my question-
My Wife and I would like to settle in the Tampa area. Are most of the suburbs Bible Belt regions? Are there any suburbs that have a more Northeast Roman Catholic influence rather then Evangelical Christian?
Please enlighten me to the religous demographics of the Tampa region.
Thank you.
I too am a Northeast Roman Catholic who has relocated to the North Tampa area(Lutz 33558, specifically) about 5 years ago. My experience has been that within Tampa/North Tampa you will find a mix of Baptists, Catholics, Evangelicals, Methodist, Jews, Hindus,etc. I find religion to be less of an issue in Tampa/Lutz than other more rural areas such as Land O'Lakes, Lakeland, etc. It seems that the Catholics keep their religious views to themselves and the Baptists and Fundamentalists tend to include it in every conversation whether relevant to the conversation or not, since they are on a mission to save everyone. It's almost like Tourettes syndrome with them. Therefore it seems that Catholics are outnumbered since the people who tend to talk about religion frequently are from non-Catholic denominations. There is a Catholic church about 5 minutes away from Lutz (St. Tim's) and St. Paul's is about 10 minutes away, but to be perfectly honest do not expect the Catholic churches here to be anything like the churches in the Northeast. Things are done quite differently here and the churches themselves have a modern and Evangelical-like quality to them. St. Tim's is a round building and there isn't any kneeling, they sing many of the prayers and people hold hands while praying. We stopped attending church a few years ago here because it felt so foreign to us and also because we had two toddlers who were impossible to keep quiet at the time. I haven't been to church in a few years here so it may not be the case anymore. I do make it a habit of visiting churches back home in the NE when I visit.
I live in Lutz and I feel very comfortable here being a non-church attending Catholic. I live in Heritage Harbor in Lutz and my neighbors run the gamut from Baptists to Jews to Buddist, etc. Everyone is very respectful and for the most part private about their church habits or at least they are not obnoxious about it. When I do encounter people who are outspoken Fundamentalists or Baptists they are usually from areas like Land O'Lakes and other counties which tend to be rural like Pasco, Hernando, Citrus, etc. You will find those areas to be predominantly Baptists, Pentecostal and Fundamentalists and they are fairly outspoken in their views.
My children attend public school in Lutz and I have not experienced any nonsense like Creationism being taught or any strong influences of religious biases. They refer to their breaks as Winter/Spring Holiday, not Christmas or Easter break and teachers regardless of their religious affiliation do not impose their beliefs in the classroom. I have found schools in my area 33558 to be very respectful and tolerant of all religions. My children have friends that are Jewish, Catholic, Buddist, Hindus, Baptists and so on.
Honestly, I think you will feel quite comfortable as long as you stay relatively close to a Metro area. You may want to consider Lutz or Westchase or South Tampa if you can afford to live in the nice areas. I run into so many NERCs all the time and you will too. There are many residents here from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Boston, etc. Now if we could only do something about Florida being a red state. LOL
Religion and politics...dangerous topics.
Incidentally, I apologize if I have offended anyone with my post as it is not my intent to do so. I am simply stating my experience for someone wanting to know.
Can't we all just get along?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM

Well, I disagree with your assessment on schools proclaiming Winter Holiday for a week off. ITS CHRISTMAS! That is why you have off. There is no such thing as a winter holiday.

But I agree with the other parts of your post. After researching I found a Beautiful Catholic Church in downtown Tampa called Sacred Heart that looks like a traditional northeast Catholic Church.
I am a practicing Catholic and will continue no matter where I live but I can see your point about the Catholic churches down there being progressive and downright weird.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 AM

29 posts, read 122,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Well, I disagree with your assessment on schools proclaiming Winter Holiday for a week off. ITS CHRISTMAS! That is why you have off. There is no such thing as a winter holiday.

But I agree with the other parts of your post. After researching I found a Beautiful Catholic Church in downtown Tampa called Sacred Heart that looks like a traditional northeast Catholic Church.
I am a practicing Catholic and will continue no matter where I live but I can see your point about the Catholic churches down there being progressive and downright weird.
It isn't my "personal assessment" to proclaim "Winter Holiday instead of Christmas", as my family celebrates Christmas. I'm just stating what the public schools in this area refer to it as. Not everyone, especially those attending public schools, celebrate "Christmas." There are children of all religious denominations who attend public school which include, Jewish people, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, and so on. Personally, I don't think a public school has a right to impose any one person's religion over another. Winter is a season, even if you live in Florida and it is 75 degrees, therefore they are technically just in referring to it as Winter Break. For those who would have a problem with "Winter Break" they have the option of sending their children to a Catholic school or a private Christian school where they refer to the school breaks as Christmas and Easter. I'm just letting you know how it is in my area. Besides, most children don't care what you call it as long as it means they have off from school.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaluna View Post
Besides, most children don't care what you call it as long as it means they have off from school.

That is very true.
Thank you for your insight. It will help my wife and I greatly.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:19 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,625 times
I would not consider Tampa part of the bible belt at all. I'm sure their are pockets here and there, but not as an overall rule.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
I have to agree with Spree, Tampa bay area is in no way in the bible belt. Believe me you will know when you live in the Bible Belt of the South. I lived in several areas of Tampa and never had any of my neighbors try and save me. Hmm.. had a few come to the door though

Now for more info regarding the firing of the teacher..
the assistant superintendent with the Pasco County School District who said it wasn't just the wizardry and that Picular had other performance issues, including "not following lesson plans" and allowing students to play on unapproved computers.

Magic trick costs teacher job - Tampa Bays Local News (broken link)

Last edited by Keeper; 05-10-2008 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: added

Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM

151 posts, read 798,621 times
AJ, we are on a bit of a quest to find what you are looking for as well. DH relocated to the area in Feb and has been attending the area RC churches (on the off weekends he does not head back here!) to get a feel for them. We joined him over Easter week, and as you know, it may have not been the best time to "evaluate" a church ....they were very crowded and in one there were no pews, we sat on metal folding chairs! (Gee, what happened to standing in the back?? LOL!) We both come from Buffalo originally, and well, my Italian-Cradle Catholic background leaves me with certain "ideas" of what a church should feel like.....to me, that is. Plus I would like very much to be in a Life Teen parish....it is a phenominal program.

Anyways, I can keep you posted on his "progress"....we have one making confirmation in two years and one making first communion in two years, as well! Must find a parish that fits, if you KWIM!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:07 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,625 times
>> Plus I would like very much to be in a Life Teen parish....it is a phenominal program.<<

I'm not sure where you are at in Tampa, but Nativity Catholic church in Brandon is wonderful. It has a Life Teen program - one of the first - that meets after 6 pm mass on Sunday. There is also a Life Force program for middle schoolers. They also have several outreach opportunitites - a food pantry as well as a mission in the Dominican Republic. It's a very active parish, family friendly but yet there is a large senior and womens group. The men's group does the fish fries during lent. They have a very well reguarded school attached as well : Welcome to Nativity Catholic Church's Online Connection in Brandon, Florida

Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Where do you live or are looking to live. Besides Scared Heart there is St. Patricks in S. Tampa and Incarnation in Town N Country (although it is a new church and more modern inside). There is a Catholic church in Carrollwood, again more modern looking inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay