Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 PM

9 posts, read 29,422 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been browsing through all the posts here trying to see what advice has been given to people considering a move to Tampa but I figured the best way to get the answers I'm looking for is to post myself. I'm a 25 year old male living in Connecticut and am looking to relocate very soon to begin a life in Florida - specifically the Tampa/St Pete area.

I've started looking on craigslist, rent.com, and other sites for apartment listings but there are so many areas that have different things to offer. I'm looking for a place to live that is on the younger side with a nice atmosphere (not necessarily like living in an apt in college all over again but not an older community either). I see some of these complexes with pools and whatnot but really just want to hear of the areas that are good deals (realistically at this age I'm looking for a place b/w $500-$700 for a 1 bedroom) where you can have a decent living space (safe community too), and are relatively close to a lot of the things I'm interested in.

I'm a Marketing guy who will be looking for a job down there. Does Tampa bay have a large amount of professional job opportunity or when doing job searches is it better to include the surrounding towns and cities for better opportunities? With the job market and economy as it is, it's prob going to take some time to find a position so I'll undoubtedly be looking for a job to bridge the gap and pay bills in the mean time.

It seems you're either all pro or completely against the area and I think it's funny how people can be so adamant about leaving where they've always lived to find somewhere better (I am one of them - CT doesnt offer what I'm looking for at this pt in my life and plus I'm hating the cold more and more every year). Tampa appeals to me because it seems like it is a great time to move to a city that is going through growth and will continue to plus it has a great deal of upside in terms of economic opportunity, housing, and social life. I'll be making a visit down there shortly but I wanted to reach out for any initial advice anyone can offer. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
If your looking to make the move at 25 years old, and dont have a job yet, but can handle rent fo 500-700/month, and weant to live in a young, lively area..here is my two cents:
Look into working at a Fine Dining establishment as a Server or Bartender(tips will be bigger)...jobs in marketing are all over the Bay area..look into getting a head hunter, or go through a professional service, when I went to USF and Majored in Marketing and Management lots of my friends were placed into jobs through USF throughout Tampa for major corporations, and/or went through a Co-Op program, but you are already out of school I guess(?)...Sales jobs are a plenty, and ALL industries(Health Care, Financial Services, Hospitality)...

To live, I'd suggest looking into South Tampa area, there are many private condos/townhomes you may find for around $700/month(craigslist or tbo.com), private studios for less. It's a very desirable area, close in proximity to most of what you would be looking for, and people your age.

Hope this helps.....will you be moving here with anyone, and do you laready know someone here in the area...those things help when moving as well.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM

my previous experience has been in product management and i hope to be able to further my career through that or maybe with an agency - sales is less of an option for career as it is an option for a paycheck like a bartender or waiter job would be. Ideally I want to find somewhere i can be for a long time, I am not a job hopper. Yes I graduated college and have my degree - are there any staffing agencies you can recommend?I've worked with many in my job search already but the ones that have come from referrals have by far been the most professional to work with.

I do know someone in the area and have 2 others I have spoken to through people I know here.....won't be moving with anyone however.

Are you involved in a marketing still?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Most of my marketing experience was with Marriott Intl, and then MetLife. I am now a Consultant. Thee are alot of small Marketing groups in the Bay area that I know of(4th Door is one), i'm not too familiar with the staffing and head hunters in the area.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM

also - can anyone recommend good schools in the bay area to consider for bartending and graphic design?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
i do not think any school offers both bartending and graphic design. I go to UT for electronic media I like it the equipment is up to date always there for you to use. No having to pay to print out things even huge posters.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM

just looking for schools specific to each; not one that offers both programs (although it could be neat to learn how to design drink menus all at once)

Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
I'm not sure of a bartending school but UT does offer the graphic design program also. Its insanely expensive the only other school is the art institute which costs the about the same. The only good public schools that offer it is in Orlando Ucf and Valencia. You would be looking at a 1hr 30 min ( or less) drive with no traffic. Also there is full sail in orlando but there is no way in hell you could commute back and forth with that school.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushwam View Post
also - can anyone recommend good schools in the bay area to consider for bartending and graphic design?
Like the radio adds..."Call 1-800-BARTEND".

I have a friend taking photgraphy at IADT, and here they have a good Graphic Design program. IADT Tampa – International Academy of Design and Technology in Tampa

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
My daughter is a teacher at ABC Bartending on Kennedy Blvd in the Westshore District. Before teaching, she worked at many of the fine dining restaurants and she still works private parties by referral. Here's a link to their dot com --> Bartending Schools in Tampa, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: