Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 46,708 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Tampa for a year and a half. I am a 24 yr. old, single woman, and while I like my job, I hate how hard it is to meet people in Tampa. Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,065,236 times
It really depends on what part of town you're in. Where abouts are you? There is a young professional group called Tampa E-Merge that meets and has social events and fundraisers. I might also recomend joining an intramural sports league, do you like softball?
I feel you're frustration, too. Tampa is sort of sprawled out with few central gathering places for people who don't want an all-out party with booze and drugs.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,349,183 times
Go to Creative Loafing.com and check out the many local professional groups and outdoor actiity adventures(like wildlife tours of parks and river tours via kayak); volunteer at one of the numerous organizations in the area, join a sports league(bowling, softball, etc.).

Where do you live? What kind of people would you like to meet? What do you like to do for fun?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,677,923 times
LMAO! You know what?! I have said that before and ALL my co-workers agree!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM

192 posts, read 1,161,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmllr View Post
I have been living in Tampa for a year and a half. I am a 24 yr. old, single woman, and while I like my job, I hate how hard it is to meet people in Tampa. Any suggestions.

I would hope that part of the reason you like your job is because you like the people you work with.......and they probably like you as well. Have you suggested to them that you guys meet after work for dinner or drinks or coffee? Although none of them might be a candidate for close friendship, perhaps they'll bring along a friend or two and you'll strike up a new liason. And you may also be surprised how much you have in common with a co-worker once you're in an environment other than the work place!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmllr View Post
I'm 26 and moved here a few months ago and also have found it hard to meet people. Some told me about meetup.com, where you can find out about various events. I haven't tried it yet though.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 46,708 times
I am definitely going to try and get involved in intramural sports and volunteering. Thanks for all the tips and please keep them coming.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 14,318 times
I agree with you too, but even contacting a group via internet is risky to me.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 16,578 times
Yeah, I agree, it is kind of hard to make friends here, but it's possible. Volunteering and activity groups are a great way to meet people. Also, try checking out craigslist. They have a strictly platonic section where you can meet people who are seeking friendships in the area.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,047,707 times
I have a friend who belonged to a Christian singles group. They would go places (even bars in case you are wondering) and had a great group of friends. He even met his now wife in the group.

You don't have to be looking for a date, just be with friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: