Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 12:20 PM

149 posts, read 149,372 times

Advertisements

Hey forum folks! Wondering about the dog scene in St Pete particularly, and also Tampa. I have been on a quest this spring to find a new home for my doggie biz that I had for many years in Boston. I was pretty successful there, as there is a lot of demand in Boston for what I do (dog walking, but specifically what I did was extended mid day dog hikes and longer outings). I was miserable in Boston in spite of my business success, due to the terrible weather and the unfriendly standoffish culture, which was unfortunately on steroids during the pandemic. Living alone there the past year was tough.

I sold my biz and ended up in ATL for the past couple of months, staying with a family member. I really like ATL but I ended up concluding there isn't enough demand for what I do. I have been driving down to Miami, my backup choice, and stopped off to visit other family in St Pete/Tampa. I have been really impressed so far. People are SO NICE. I also see that there are lots of dog lovers around. There is def a dog scene here, which ATL did not have.

I'm now considering St Pete/Tampa as a possible choice to relocate my biz. St Pete has a more densely populated downtown area, which is how it was in Boston. For this reason there doesn't appear to be space for doggie day cares (my #1 competition) to built their large facilities. Doggie daycares were popular in ATL bc there is space for them. There was not space in Boston, so people like me were the go-to choice.

I would appreciate input from locals on this. I have two questions for you:

1) Do people use dog walkers/pet sitters in St Pete/Tampa?

2) Do you consider St Pete/Tampa to be a dog lovers town?

In Atlanta I loved the well maintained parks and trails around the city, all of them beautiful. But I started noticing that you don't often see dogs there, or if you do they are leashed and walking with their owner, all business. People seemed to exercise their dogs instead in the yard or by taking them to enclosed dog runs. Or the increasingly popular daycare facilities. Thus you didn't see them around town very often. Within an hour of arriving in St Pete I began spotting lots of dogs, and I was getting the dog town vibe that I never got in Atlanta.

Anyway sorry for the long post. Would love to hear your take on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 01:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
I see at least two three dog walkers all the time in our neighborhood here in Brandon. I constantly see mobile dog groomers in and out as well. We have at least three or four dog parks close by that we always see people at. Downtown Tampa seems to be quite pet friendly as well. We bring our dog to sparkman wharf and the river-walk quite a bit. I give Tampa Bay 5-paws up.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:24 AM

134 posts, read 122,848 times
the 'dog scene' ? lol

walk your own dog on a leash as well, it's the law in most places.

everyone is not a dog lover, right?

Old 06-05-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Traveler View Post
the 'dog scene' ? lol

walk your own dog on a leash as well, it's the law in most places.

everyone is not a dog lover, right?
I’m sorry for the confusion but my post is about the viability of a dog walking business in the St Pete/Tampa area. I think you are referring to leash laws when walking your own dog. If you are not a dog lover yourself you likely wouldn’t know about dog scenes and whether your city has one.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:52 AM

Nay, everyone isn't a dog lover, or must be, right? heck, some people can't stand cats, right? it doesn't make you a better human being if you're a dog or cat lover, I know a bunch of women that just luvvvv their darn dogs but are vile, disgusting human beings to/with other human beings.

As far as the viability of a dog walking business? I would think that's a skinny rabbit given the demographic. This area is not a high density urban jungle - people walk their own dogs and hopefully on a darn leash at all times.

Many of us in the area, don't want to be around a bunch of dogs. That's freedom. Keep your animals in your own yard, your own house, and off of my lawn LOL Let them crap on your own lawn and you can pick their stuff up there. LOL

Old 06-05-2021, 09:56 AM

"dog SCENE".....I like it....never knew of this zazouvogue term...learn something new everyday..."dog scene"...I'll have to use it. Thanks

Old 06-07-2021, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,413 times
Mcginty this is definitely a good spot for a business like that. The dog parks are insane and the only city I've ever lived in that seemed this dog friendly before was out of the US. Plus contrary to what these boards will tell you we need some more entrepreneurial and young professionals in the area (specifically St. Pete - amazing already and tons of potential.)

I've lurked here for a while and used these forums to find somewhere to move from the DC/Baltimore area. I've been in remote technology sales for a while now and can really live anywhere near a tier 1 airport. Ended up renting a place downtown St. Pete for a year and then luckily got a place in Northeast right before the market almost totally dried up in the downtown area.

Still tons of potential down here and I'm actuall selling my townhouse up north to have some cash ready for investment down here. Lots of friends are considering this area or others in Florida. Also understand and respect that this place is the way it is for a reason (tax laws, more freedom over this last year, etc.) and will try to keep it that way

Old 06-07-2021, 07:33 PM

34 posts, read 29,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb15351 View Post
Mcginty this is definitely a good spot for a business like that. The dog parks are insane and the only city I've ever lived in that seemed this dog friendly before was out of the US. Plus contrary to what these boards will tell you we need some more entrepreneurial and young professionals in the area (specifically St. Pete - amazing already and tons of potential.)

I've lurked here for a while and used these forums to find somewhere to move from the DC/Baltimore area. I've been in remote technology sales for a while now and can really live anywhere near a tier 1 airport. Ended up renting a place downtown St. Pete for a year and then luckily got a place in Northeast right before the market almost totally dried up in the downtown area.

Still tons of potential down here and I'm actuall selling my townhouse up north to have some cash ready for investment down here. Lots of friends are considering this area or others in Florida. Also understand and respect that this place is the way it is for a reason (tax laws, more freedom over this last year, etc.) and will try to keep it that way
If you just moved here, how do YOU know what WE need? you're from Baltimore, and I know I would never JUST move to DC/Baltimore and suggest to natives of DC/Baltimore what THEY NEED!

How arrogant and mis-informed. Odd...you JUST moved to FL and you're going to "tell you" (another transplant or potential transplant who doesn't even live here) what the professional landscape NEEDs?

Talk to us natives after you live here for say, 10 yrs or so...otherwise most newcomers need to earn their stripes

Wow

Geezus

Old 06-08-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb15351 View Post

Thank you so much! This is really helpful, and I totally agree that it's wonderfully dog friendly. The more freedoms over the last year are why I left Boston and came to Florida! Yes there is so much potential in an exploding city, and I'm glad to be able to be a part of it.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
Thank you so much! This is really helpful, and I totally agree that it's wonderfully dog friendly. The more freedoms over the last year are why I left Boston and came to Florida! Yes there is so much potential in an exploding city, and I'm glad to be able to be a part of it.
It's America, and you can move anywhere you wish (for now), but I hope you don't try to shape TampaBay/StPete in Boston's image. WE certainly don't want or like that as natives and locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay