Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 06:44 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen440 View Post
the only people that might agree must be former Hillsborough or Pasco school administrators !
Actually, this is a fact based on score results, graduation rate and internal situations comparing schools in Wesley Chapel. Are there any better schools in Pasco or Hillsborough or Florida? I am sure there are.
Florida education is not very strong, but I have very high standards and expectations.
I cannot compare Florida's education to education elsewhere within the States. What I see at my kids' schools makes me do a lot extra with my kids at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 07:30 PM

282 posts, read 162,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyD View Post
ok this went into the weeds lol. I didn't know about the school vouchers have to look into that
I was told that i should maybe also look at land o lakes area.

Certainly worth a look.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:23 AM

113 posts, read 89,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Actually, this is a fact based on score results, graduation rate and internal situations comparing schools in Wesley Chapel. Are there any better schools in Pasco or Hillsborough or Florida? I am sure there are.
Florida education is not very strong, but I have very high standards and expectations.
I cannot compare Florida's education to education elsewhere within the States. What I see at my kids' schools makes me do a lot extra with my kids at home.
Exactly why you might re-consider?

Old 05-22-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen440 View Post
Exactly why you might re-consider?
I don't believe people more to FL because of education. There are other reasons I am sure.
Those who are serious about their kids education they look for options outside of public schools in addition to standard education. Many kids are ending up in very strong universities after Florida. Not sure about other Counties but Hillsborough is making announcement every year featuring best students. It's very impressive actually. And every single student from this list has very strong support system beside public education. So, it's do-able to succeed anywhere including Florida.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:45 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
I don't believe people more to FL because of education. There are other reasons I am sure.
Those who are serious about their kids education they look for options outside of public schools in addition to standard education. Many kids are ending up in very strong universities after Florida. Not sure about other Counties but Hillsborough is making announcement every year featuring best students. It's very impressive actually. And every single student from this list has very strong support system beside public education. So, it's do-able to succeed anywhere including Florida.
You can have students do well here, but as stated, you've got to be a very involved parent and have a good school to go with those efforts. There are advanced studies programs, some excellent magnet school programs if you can get into them, etc.

Yes, Hillsborough will trot out their excellent students on a regular basis, but have you checked the enrollment these days? I haven't but it was somewhere in the range of 200,000 students in the district as a whole last time I looked. I suspect charter schools are taking a chunk out of that, however. Compare the number of high achieving students they promote and do the math.

Yeah, it's a almost statistically insignificant number.

RM

Old 05-22-2022, 07:10 PM

Maybe we are talking about different announcements. The one I am referring to is featuring top 1-3 students from each school so dah, it's insignificant number compare to total enrolments.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:25 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Maybe we are talking about different announcements. The one I am referring to is featuring top 1-3 students from each school so dah, it's insignificant number compare to total enrolments.
Exactly. More propaganda to justify the ineptitude of those in the administration.

RM

Old 05-23-2022, 06:42 PM

631 posts, read 403,254 times
Being a local, I get a little perturbed hearing this fallacy over and over again...You're simply on the wrong coast of Florida if you place that high of an emphasis on education. Miami has the 1st ranked high school in Florida and the #4 ranked high school in the nation...the nation!

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...udies-sas-4861

The entire list: https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings

Copied from another thread:
the Miami metro has many more top ranked public high schools than any other metro in Florida. The Miami metro had 97 top 25% ranked public high schools nationally in the U.S. News report below. The Tampa metro and the Orlando metro both had 33 each.

The highest ranked school the Tampa metro had was 632nd (you're seeing that right) and for the Orlando metro it was 354th. The Miami metro had the 4th ranked school nationally, and had 22 schools ranked above the Orlando metro's highest ranked school (354th).

The private schools around South Florida are also better and much more numerous than anywhere else in Florida. Boca Raton alone has 16 private schools. etc. etc. etc.

South Florida just offers so much more overall than every other metro area in Florida and anyone who says it's not "family friendly" has no idea what they're talking about or is just simply in denial.

Quote:

Last edited by silverct9a; 05-23-2022 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 02:07 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Being a local, I get a little perturbed hearing this fallacy over and over again...You're simply on the wrong coast of Florida if you place that high of an emphasis on education. Miami has the 1st ranked high school in Florida and the #4 ranked high school in the nation...the nation!

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...udies-sas-4861

The entire list: https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings

Copied from another thread:
the Miami metro has many more top ranked public high schools than any other metro in Florida. The Miami metro had 97 top 25% ranked public high schools nationally in the U.S. News report below. The Tampa metro and the Orlando metro both had 33 each.

The highest ranked school the Tampa metro had was 632nd (you're seeing that right) and for the Orlando metro it was 354th. The Miami metro had the 4th ranked school nationally, and had 22 schools ranked above the Orlando metro's highest ranked school (354th).

The private schools around South Florida are also better and much more numerous than anywhere else in Florida. Boca Raton alone has 16 private schools. etc. etc. etc.

South Florida just offers so much more overall than every other metro area in Florida and anyone who says it's not "family friendly" has no idea what they're talking about or is just simply in denial.
I am sure those top schools in Miami and Boca Raton are in affordable areas. They are probably where the median is 1 million. I bet that one school and no I did not click on it, is near Pinecrest. Good luck selling Miami as a better option for families.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:07 PM

631 posts, read 403,254 times
There's nothing to sell but the truth and that's free and nope, not in Pinecrest(There are several locations: Kendall, Doral, Homestead etc), but clicking the link would have only cost you at most 2 minutes of your life to get that information.

The reason for my posting this isn't to be a contrarian, but to put an end to this long standing fallacy about Florida education from out of state transplants. It's simply not true and it gets a bit tiring seeing the same untrue statements over and over again.

You bring up a good point however; typically, good schools are located around good neighborhoods...this is nothing new and Florida is no different in this regard. People come down here to "live cheap", and escape taxes, but there's no free lunch in life. You have to pay to play unfortunately...even in "uneducated" Florida.

Also this doesn't end at the high school level - we have a robust and highly ranked State University System that comprises 12 public universities...the second largest public university system in the nation(of which I'm a product of). The true problem Florida has, is KEEPING its college grads, i.e., brain drain, but that's another discussion.

These untruths have to end:
https://www.flbog.edu/2021/09/13/flo...sity-rankings/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I am sure those top schools in Miami and Boca Raton are in affordable areas. They are probably where the median is 1 million. I bet that one school and no I did not click on it, is near Pinecrest. Good luck selling Miami as a better option for families.

Last edited by silverct9a; 05-24-2022 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay