Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 03:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
New Mexico is great if you like desolate landscapes. Parts around Los Alamos are nice, but you're in the mountains and it can get pretty cold and snow, too. Deming is far too close to the border for me. There's a reason why that land is cheap...plus it's close to El Paso, probably one of the worst and most dangerous cities in TX.

ABQ is a pit. A total hole. I've spent plenty of time there and wouldn't consider it suitable for anything.

I own a home in Flagstaff, which is far nicer and better provisioned, even if you like remote/off grid living outside the city. It's not cheap, but it's beautiful and the climate is wonderful, even in the winter. A wonderful respite from the heat and humidity of Florida. Desert, mountains, Grand Canyon, etc., all within an hour or less. Great skiing at the Snowball in the winter, lots of hiking around the area, Las Vegas is only three hours away, Phoenix two if you want big city.

Amarillo smells like cow dung, 24/7/365, because of the stockyards. It's a grimy, dirty place that's surrounded by nothing for miles. Nasty place.

I haven't been to ABQ or Amarillo literally in YEARS.............but I have fond memories of New Mexican food and Big Texan steaks. Never been to Santa Fe, am hoping to this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 05:21 PM

880 posts, read 564,600 times
Quote:
New Mexico is great if you like desolate landscapes. Parts around Los Alamos are nice, but you're in the mountains and it can get pretty cold and snow, too. Deming is far too close to the border for me. There's a reason why that land is cheap...plus it's close to El Paso, probably one of the worst and most dangerous cities in TX.

ABQ is a pit. A total hole. I've spent plenty of time there and wouldn't consider it suitable for anything.

I own a home in Flagstaff, which is far nicer and better provisioned, even if you like remote/off grid living outside the city. It's not cheap, but it's beautiful and the climate is wonderful, even in the winter. A wonderful respite from the heat and humidity of Florida. Desert, mountains, Grand Canyon, etc., all within an hour or less. Great skiing at the Snowball in the winter, lots of hiking around the area, Las Vegas is only three hours away, Phoenix two if you want big city.

Amarillo smells like cow dung, 24/7/365, because of the stockyards. It's a grimy, dirty place that's surrounded by nothing for miles. Nasty place.

Hahah... Morton, I'm sensing a trend in your posts... they all seem to be filled with lots of positivity.

I love everything about New Mexico, except the crime and politics... everything else is absolutely fantastic. I like Arizona too... I really do, there's so much there that I love, including the petrified forest, that big dam on the Colorado river (can't remember the name)... even the NIKE site that's been converted into a museum, so much to love in Arizona, but New Mexico just checks all those boxes.

I bought the land in Deming, New Mexico... actually when I was like 20 years old. I'd gotten my first big tax return check back (yes, I know the more you get back, it means the more you loaned the government throughout the year, thanks, but I was 20)... and I didn't own a home or anything yet, so I figured I'd blow it on some property. I bought it sight unseen, and didn't see it for almost 15 years later when I moved to San Antonio and happened to pass by it a few times on some vacations.

If I had to buy something... I'd probably get something in ABQ. I'm not really a fan of El Paso either... I won't even stop there for gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I haven't been to ABQ or Amarillo literally in YEARS.............but I have fond memories of New Mexican food and Big Texan steaks. Never been to Santa Fe, am hoping to this year.

Don't let him talk you down... I was just there a couple of years ago... and it was as fantastic as ever. The Cadillac Ranch cars are made of paint more than they are made of metal at this point, and a lot of the Route-66 attractions have been falling apart, but there's still a lot of really cool things to see.

Amarillo is still hopping, and ABQ and Santa Fe are all nice.

I forgot to mention, but the southern part is also very cool. There's a famous telescope somewhere in Texas also... north of the Big Bend National Park (not to be confused with the Big Bend in New Mexico), and then there's Marfa, TX... which has the Marfa Lights... and in New Mexico near the southern-part... you also have Alamagordo, which has a lot of cool stuff... if you have a CAC you can get on base and see the original V2 rocket test site, or you can check out the gypsum sand dunes at White Sands National Park... of course, there's also the Alamagordo Zoo, and even the famous Atari dumping site.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:22 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
If it was just a matter of listing all the points of interest you could make anywhere sound attractive.

Don’t put words in my mouth, I didn’t say New Mexico is bad, I said there are parts of it that are less than desirable, that’s all.

I spent a great deal of time doing work as a DoD contractor using ABQ as a travel base, I know it well. I have been there twice in the last 9 months, so I’m comfortable that my assessment is current.

White Sands, Los Alamos, Alamogordo, I know them all quite well and have spent (cumulatively) weeks if not months at all. I’ve hiked those areas extensively during my days off in the areas. I’ve worked with indigenous archeological surveys in places like Bandelier National Monument, for example, as a volunteer.

Given the choice, I prefer the northern portion of New Mexico. The southern half is just too desolate and remote for me, that’s all. And as for ABQ, sure, the touristy stuff’s just fine, but the city itself is rough and gritty, not a place I would consider living. Maybe in one of the outlying areas, like Moriarity, maybe, but not in ABQ proper.

Amarillo “hops”, but it’s still a rough and smelly place with loads of tourist traps like “The Big Texan” that have sub-standard food and are there mainly to separate tourists from their money under the guise of having “good food”. I challenge anyone to find someone who goes to Amarillo for a vacation spot, that’s all.

To each his or her own, just relating my direct experience with the area, that’s all.

RM

Old 09-14-2022, 07:36 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,228,548 times
Quote:
If it was just a matter of listing all the points of interest you could make anywhere sound attractive.

Don’t put words in my mouth, I didn’t say New Mexico is bad, I said there are parts of it that are less than desirable, that’s all.

I spent a great deal of time doing work as a DoD contractor using ABQ as a travel base, I know it well. I have been there twice in the last 9 months, so I’m comfortable that my assessment is current.

White Sands, Los Alamos, Alamogordo, I know them all quite well and have spent (cumulatively) weeks if not months at all. I’ve hiked those areas extensively during my days off in the areas. I’ve worked with indigenous archeological surveys in places like Bandelier National Monument, for example, as a volunteer.

Given the choice, I prefer the northern portion of New Mexico. The southern half is just too desolate and remote for me, that’s all. And as for ABQ, sure, the touristy stuff’s just fine, but the city itself is rough and gritty, not a place I would consider living. Maybe in one of the outlying areas, like Moriarity, maybe, but not in ABQ proper.

Amarillo “hops”, but it’s still a rough and smelly place with loads of tourist traps like “The Big Texan” that have sub-standard food and are there mainly to separate tourists from their money under the guise of having “good food”. I challenge anyone to find someone who goes to Amarillo for a vacation spot, that’s all.

To each his or her own, just relating my direct experience with the area, that’s all.

RM

Old 09-15-2022, 07:05 AM

Last edited by Atari2600; 09-15-2022 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-15-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Hahaha!! When Angela does this, it means "Bless Your Heart."

Don't feel bad Morton, I got one too in another thread.
Hmmm, I wonder WHY this has to be posted? Just so you know, as others soon found out, I am NOT the member to start any drama with. I visit, mind my own biz and leave. I notice the drama between you and another member. Your biz not mine. Anyway, no more "responses from me" to any of your posts moving forward. And I am sure OP can "speak" for themselves. Now "walk away" from me!
Have a great day, I am! Angela

Old 09-15-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Hmmm, I wonder WHY this has to be posted? Just so you know, as others soon found out, I am NOT the member to start any drama with. I visit, mind my own biz and leave. I notice the drama between you and another member. Your biz not mine. Anyway, no more "responses from me" to any of your posts moving forward. And I am sure OP can "speak" for themselves. Now "walk away" from me!
Have a great day, I am! Angela

You're right. I'm going to try not to get into it. I apologize for bringing you into it. I removed my post.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
You're right. I'm going to try not to get into it. I apologize for bringing you into it. I removed my post.
Thank you

Old 09-18-2022, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 23,802 times
I appreciate everyone's response. I know everyone is struggling one way or another. Does anyone think it is a good time to use a va loan ??

Old 09-18-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgrl16 View Post
I appreciate everyone's response. I know everyone is struggling one way or another. Does anyone think it is a good time to use a va loan ??
Hi beachgrl16:

It depends of location and type of housing in my opinion.

Personally, I am staying put until 2023 as I feel more home owners will be trying to either sell or rent at a "lower price".

But life is unpredictable as we all know and "mortgage" rates may change.

Lol, just my 2 cents...

Angela
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay