Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 09:10 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I'm a black immigrant, and I in no way feel the way you do.

I plan to leave Florida once my kids are done with school, but not for those reasons... Rather, more along the lines of the ones listed below:

My opinion might change depending on how the future unfolds in terms of infrastructure and affordability. It's quite insane what one can buy in a place like Charlotte or Atlanta that would otherwise limit one to a 1,200 sqft 3/2 house in subdivision X that looks the exact same as Y and Z in the city 100 miles away.
I didn’t include the other reasons (overdevelopment, overcrowding, lack of infrastructure, etc., etc.) but those are also on my list of reasons to bail. The ramping up of the litany of laws that affect those who are perceived to be unacceptable as well as ones restricting freedoms just pushed me over the edge.

It’s just getting stupid and silly here, if not potentially dangerous for some. I’m SO glad I don’t have school age children. That would make it even worse.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 09:12 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,844,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
In America, English is our official language, so I prefer for people to speak English when out in public....unless they are the Puerto Rican Day Parade in NYC, or similar event. I'm fine hearing Spanish in Little Havana, and along 7th Ave in Ybor City. However, when it takes over a major city like Miami

Oh, & I speak Pig-Latin, but not out in public.

That ship sailed a longgggggggggggggg time ago in Miami and in Tampa/Orlando as well. Good luck finding a city where nobody ever speaks Spanish!

Old 05-24-2023, 09:13 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Every n'eer-do-well, loser, freak, illegal and recovering druggie is currently sleeping in the streets of downtown Tampa. I went to lunch down there last week and it was absolutely disgusting. Homeless puking on sidewalks, sleeping, screaming. Tampa is competing nicely with SF, LA, NY on the homeless front.
It does. I work downtown and have for over a decade, and I used to live in SFO, so I think I have a reasonable POV in this regard. I’m stunned at what I see now compared to the past.

I’ve been in Florida for almost 30 years. The negatives are exceeding the positives. Time to leave.

-D

Old 05-24-2023, 09:18 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Every n'eer-do-well, loser, freak, illegal and recovering druggie is currently sleeping in the streets of downtown Tampa. I went to lunch down there last week and it was absolutely disgusting. Homeless puking on sidewalks, sleeping, screaming. Tampa is competing nicely with SF, LA, NY on the homeless front.
A Sinatras post I agree with... I am surprised lol.
Yes, the homeless problem in Downtown Tampa is a bit out of hand. Just get off 275 at Scott Street (and first look under the overpass) and then head into Downtown through either Marion or Morgan. It's quite... bad.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:19 PM

325 posts, read 441,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The ramping up of the litany of laws that affect those who are perceived to be unacceptable as well as ones restricting freedoms just pushed me over the edge
RM
Be more specific please on these New Laws thatare restricting the freedom of any law abiding citizen.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:27 PM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
Be more specific please on these New Laws thatare restricting the freedom of any law abiding citizen.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...d/70132161007/

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-senat...213251665.html

Old 07-22-2023, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 3,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
In America, English is our official language...
Actually, the United States has no official language.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
Big and small cities have failed to deal with the American homeless problem for decades add to that the influx of illegal immigrants and of course the problem has become exponentially worse! Until mental healthcare improves in this country the most troublesome homeless people will continue to terrorize our cities...I think the homeless illegal influx can be dealt with if the government decides to do something about it...unfortunately it doesn't seem like either party wants to...but rather just point fingers for political gain! If you think Tampa is bad...please visit NYC and take the subways like the average folk and see what a real Hell is like...its easy to zip by in your nice air conditioned car...but another all together to smell the smells and be accosted on a daily basis! Tampa is nirvana compared to other cites!

Old 09-08-2023, 09:48 PM

977 posts, read 519,755 times
Hopefully the op has figured out their move by now. I lived in Daytona and St Pete, and as a Southerner who hails from the Ms Gulf Coast I could never acclimate to the people in Florida.

The poster here was in S.C., which is Deep South. Southerners tend to be outgoing, friendly and talkative types. Not so in Florida, especially since pretty much everyone is from somewhere's else and it sure ain't the South. I think it's a good fit for people who are from the East Coast and Midwest.

I finally relocated to Little Rock, Ar, and while the city itself is not really for me, the people are almost exactly like the people I grew up with in Ms. In that respect, it felt like home as soon as I got off the train downtown and it was all Yes Man and No Sir. Very nice. If you did that in most of Florida, they probably wouldn't know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay