Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 08:49 AM

227 posts, read 247,052 times

Advertisements

I’m trying to find a great coastal city to move to. I’m a single, white female in her mid-thirties (don’t know if this matters). I work remote, so I have the ability to move anywhere. I used to reside in Miami (I really disliked it, mostly due to how many snobby people live in the area), but moved to SC to be closer to family once COVID happened. I’m really wanting to move back to a large, coastal city, that is somewhat close to SC. I was checking out cities along the SC coast, but the mind-blowing thing is that most coastal cities in SC are the same in rent as apartments in Tampa. I guess I’m trying to get information to see if it would be a wise decision to move back to South Florida, but to the Gulf Coast. Also, is Tampa similar to Miami or does it have its own vibe?

Last edited by fernweh; 02-12-2023 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 08:59 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Different for sure.

If I was telling my kids (I have 4 around your age) where to go in Florida now... It would be West Palm Beach. They were all born in Florida and are either married or in long-term relationships. Two still live in Florida... one near me in the Stuart/Martin County area and the other in Orlando. Tampa would be a consideration. My one son says it's trashy... I guess like any city in spots. St. Pete is nicer but more old folks like me.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:17 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
For starters Tampa really isn't coastal and the only parts with that kind of feel are facing Tampa Bay. For the rest of the city you might as well be in Orlando or somewhere else in FL that's land locked. St Petersburg-Clearwater on the other hand feels coastal after crossing one of the bridges over Tampa Bay. The vibe is much more laidback here versus Miami and while parts of the area can be pricey there are some more affordable areas. The northeast side around the Gandy Bridge is called the Gateway area and has some good options. https://www.apartments.com/apartment...9lw6sr_Gpv339F Largo gets some grief due to the unattractive east side, however the west side has some nicer choices closer to the beach in non-flood areas typically due to higher elevation points. https://www.apartments.com/apartment...rrhyyu-Grwn62X

Old 02-12-2023, 09:59 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
St. Pete is probably the right city for you. It’s much more relaxed and people are more friendly than Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Different for sure.

If I was telling my kids (I have 4 around your age) where to go in Florida now... It would be West Palm Beach. They were all born in Florida and are either married or in long-term relationships. Two still live in Florida... one near me in the Stuart/Martin County area and the other in Orlando. Tampa would be a consideration. My one son says it's trashy... I guess like any city in spots. St. Pete is nicer but more old folks like me.
Honestly, most of it is. South Tampa and New Tampa are the good spots, most areas in between leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 02-12-2023 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-12-2023, 11:30 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For starters Tampa really isn't coastal and the only parts with that kind of feel are facing Tampa Bay. For the rest of the city you might as well be in Orlando or somewhere else in FL that's land locked. St Petersburg-Clearwater on the other hand feels coastal after crossing one of the bridges over Tampa Bay. The vibe is much more laidback here versus Miami and while parts of the area can be pricey there are some more affordable areas. The northeast side around the Gandy Bridge is called the Gateway area and has some good options. https://www.apartments.com/apartment...9lw6sr_Gpv339F Largo gets some grief due to the unattractive east side, however the west side has some nicer choices closer to the beach in non-flood areas typically due to higher elevation points. https://www.apartments.com/apartment...rrhyyu-Grwn62X
Right. I'll add that most of Tampa itself is quite ugly and run-down, and that you'd be better off living in Orlando for the most part, as it is much more diverse, modern, cleaner, cosmopolitan, etc. Metro vs metro, Tampa/St-Pete/Clearwater walks the park around Orlando in a heartbeat, but city vs city, and immediate surroundings, I'd have a hard time recommending Tampa to anyone, aside from South Tampa/Hyde Park. I'm also finding it very difficult to find anything affordable in terms of rent in the desirable parts of Tampa, with some old units pushing near $2,700 for a 1/1, which makes no sense at all. I find Tampa to be one of the least accessible and livable major cities in Florida. I can find units in Brickell, or even Miami Beach, as well as South Eola and Thornton Park in Orlando for well under that.

If I were OP and adamant about moving to the Tampa Bay area, I'd look only at Pinellas County.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:57 AM

227 posts, read 247,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Right. I'll add that most of Tampa itself is quite ugly and run-down, and that you'd be better off living in Orlando for the most part, as it is much more diverse, modern, cleaner, cosmopolitan, etc. Metro vs metro, Tampa/St-Pete/Clearwater walks the park around Orlando in a heartbeat, but city vs city, and immediate surroundings, I'd have a hard time recommending Tampa to anyone, aside from South Tampa/Hyde Park. I'm also finding it very difficult to find anything affordable in terms of rent in the desirable parts of Tampa, with some old units pushing near $2,700 for a 1/1, which makes no sense at all. I find Tampa to be one of the least accessible and livable major cities in Florida. I can find units in Brickell, or even Miami Beach, as well as South Eola and Thornton Park in Orlando for well under that.

If I were OP and adamant about moving to the Tampa Bay area, I'd look only at Pinellas County.
I’m not so much “adamant” about moving to Tampa. I guess I’m just trying to find a large, coastal city (if not on the coast, then very close to it) with a lot of things to do in the surrounding area. Being on the water is a big enjoyment. Also, live sporting events are somewhat important to me, and I like that Tampa has MLB, NFL, and NHL. I’m just limited on where I can move to since I want to be somewhat close to SC.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:57 AM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
You have to move to the St. Pete side of Tampa bay (Pinellas county). The options are endless.

Starting north and moving south: Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Clearwater, Indian Rocks, Redington Shores/Beach, Madeira Beach, Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach, Pass-a-Grille.
Then you have the downtown St. Pete area... You can't go wrong with any of these areas. It's a far better place to live than Miami.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:18 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
I’m not so much “adamant” about moving to Tampa. I guess I’m just trying to find a large, coastal city (if not on the coast, then very close to it) with a lot of things to do in the surrounding area. Being on the water is a big enjoyment. Also, live sporting events are somewhat important to me, and I like that Tampa has MLB, NFL, and NHL. I’m just limited on where I can move to since I want to be somewhat close to SC.
These comments of tampa are so negative and opinions of a few. Pinellas county aka St Pete can be run down depending on what parts you are in. Trailer parks galore in Largo and depending on which part of st Pete can be depressing. Just come to visit. Tampa has the bigger city feel and real airport with a real mall and restaurants… most new resents tend to head towards the beach pinellas area and than when they get sick of the bridge traffic and want a new house they move to Hillsborough county. Tampa is no different than Charleston when it comes to run down streets. Tampa is has more rust than Orlando because it’s a lot of older. I live in Seminole heights and never had a break in. Lived in south tampa for 7 months and had an apartment breakin when I was out town. Never happened in Miami either but did in South Tampa. This is north of Gandy and off Westshore.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:29 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Have you considered JAX and JAX Beach?

Old 02-17-2023, 11:09 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
These comments of tampa are so negative and opinions of a few. Pinellas county aka St Pete can be run down depending on what parts you are in. Trailer parks galore in Largo and depending on which part of st Pete can be depressing. Just come to visit. Tampa has the bigger city feel and real airport with a real mall and restaurants… most new resents tend to head towards the beach pinellas area and than when they get sick of the bridge traffic and want a new house they move to Hillsborough county. Tampa isand are not any no different than Charleston when it comes to run down streets. Tampa is has more rust than Orlando because it’s a lot of older. I live in Seminole heights and never had a break in. Lived in south tampa for 7 months and had an apartment breakin when I was out town. Never happened in Miami either but did in South Tampa. This is north of Gandy and off Westshore.
The trailer parks in Largo are around US19 and Bay Drive, not all over the city. St Pete like any big city has "depressing" parts and are nowhere close to the majority. Weirdly enough Pinellas County has plenty of restaurants also and a "real mall" that's as nice as and larger than Tampa's offerings (Countryside Mall in Clearwater).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay