Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2023, 07:31 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times

Advertisements

Printing is not an option. Filing online is not an option. I need the instruction booklets and the actual paper tax forms in my hand. Used to be that you could get them at libraries and post offices but I haven't needed to do this in decades. I am in East Lake, if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 08:27 AM

982 posts, read 607,062 times
Sometimes, local libraries will carry the forms and it they don't have the instruction booklets, you can look on the IRS website. Possibly the local post office as well.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:39 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
The IRS will mail them to you https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/forms...ons-by-us-mail

Or, download forms from the IRS site to your computer, copy them to a flash drive, then take the drive to an office supply store and have them printed.

I'm curious as to why filing online isn't an option. Filing by paper will cause significant delays in processing your return.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:52 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The IRS will mail them to you https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/forms...ons-by-us-mail

Or, download forms from the IRS site to your computer, copy them to a flash drive, then take the drive to an office supply store and have them printed.

I'm curious as to why filing online isn't an option. Filing by paper will cause significant delays in processing your return.
Thank you for this. Very helpful. I am just now starting to get involved with investigating what I need to do to file my recently deceased parents' taxes. As with every other aspect of dealing with the nightmare that finances, legal issues and insurance has been - I have received conflicting information about this subject as well. I need to file their taxes for both 2021 and 2022 because they are due refunds for both years. It has taken me months just to search for, locate and organize things so that I am getting closer to wanting to scratch this one of the million other things I have to do - off the endless list. I file all my taxes online and have for years but my elderly parents did not. I have read that in my situation, I cannot file online. I would like that not to be true.

I am drowning in paperwork. In fact, just this morning I got fed up looking at one of the giant stacks of medical/insurance/Medicare/hospital bill paperwork and threw it all away. Then - while researching this tax question came across something that said you are supposed to keep such paperwork for 7-10 years. Yeah.....that isn't going to happen. I would never make any progress if I did that. I thought a few months should be enough to receive any relevant hospital bills or insurance statements. With my luck, one will arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:22 PM

982 posts, read 607,062 times
I am so sorry for you loss! It must be incredibly hard to deal with all of this on top of all the other things you must do with the estate and your grieving process. I wish you all the best!

Old 04-23-2023, 12:46 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

Printing is still an option. Where there's a will, there's a way. There are several alternatives:

1. The IRS blank forms catalog offers printer ready versions of just about everything. Go to the local library and use their patron computers to look up, download, and send the necessary IRS blank form files to the library's networked printer,

2. Use the library's patron computers to find and download the blank files to your own flash drive and take it somewhere else to print,
or

3. Download the blank forms to a flash drive at home and take that to the library or a local copying shop for printing. My local mom-pop shop will even let a customer go online right in the store, search the IRS catalog, and print the blank forms right then and there if they aren't too busy. So will the local book shop.

The IRS forms library can be a bit frustrating to navigate if you need less frequently used forms, schedules or their associated instructions. They usually have a subcategory of forms/schedules most people need most often (various versions of the 1040, Schedule 1, A, B, D, etc.) right at the top of the catalog's opening page. Still, you don't need to print or even download the instructions. You can always pull them up on any computer with web access and leave the page open while filling the physical forms out that way.

Depending on what word processing software (something like Microsoft Office for example) you have on your computer you can often open the blank form files for editing. Then you can insert financial data into the blanks, save the revised file, and take that somewhere to print the final result. The local libraries I've used haven't had stacks of free forms available for the taking for years, but they still offered a binder of reference copies patrons could use to make their OWN then and there using the library's copier. They'll probably be all black and white but the IRS probably doesn't care one bit.

FWIW, I've never owned a printer. Don't print out enough to justify one. Sure, loading up a flash drive and taking files somewhere else to print them is less convenient but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-23-2023 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-23-2023, 04:25 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Many places that might have had paper forms earlier in the year, probably have either filed or trashed the paper forms after April 16.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:40 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Thank you for this. Very helpful. I am just now starting to get involved with investigating what I need to do to file my recently deceased parents' taxes. As with every other aspect of dealing with the nightmare that finances, legal issues and insurance has been - I have received conflicting information about this subject as well. I need to file their taxes for both 2021 and 2022 because they are due refunds for both years. It has taken me months just to search for, locate and organize things so that I am getting closer to wanting to scratch this one of the million other things I have to do - off the endless list. I file all my taxes online and have for years but my elderly parents did not. I have read that in my situation, I cannot file online. I would like that not to be true.

I am drowning in paperwork. In fact, just this morning I got fed up looking at one of the giant stacks of medical/insurance/Medicare/hospital bill paperwork and threw it all away. Then - while researching this tax question came across something that said you are supposed to keep such paperwork for 7-10 years. Yeah.....that isn't going to happen. I would never make any progress if I did that. I thought a few months should be enough to receive any relevant hospital bills or insurance statements. With my luck, one will arrive in the mail tomorrow.
Scanner.

Scan the documents then you can keep them forever if you had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay