Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times

Advertisements

When i lived in Fla i thought breezes were highly over rated as you had to live basically on the water to feel these breezes and if you did happen to feel a breeze it didnt do much in the way of cooling and was akin to putting a small fan in a sauna bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:55 AM

265 posts, read 400,080 times
I live in Tampa, right near downtown, with the Hillsborough Bay 5 minutes down the road from me... and those breezes *are* highly overrated. Yes, it is true, that being near the water helps make it tolerable, so we get low 90s when inland areas (like Lakeland, for instance) are in the upper 90s, but it still gets miserable. The only thing that makes the temperature tolerable is to be in some kind of water... whether going to the beach, or hanging out at one of the springs or something. And let's face it, for most of us, we simply can't spend all day long every day at the beach or floating down a spring-fed river. We gotta go to work from time to time. So whenever I find people saying that the breezes help cool things off around here, I assume they are from the midwest, or some landlocked state that never sees wind unless a tornado is coming through.

It is worth noting that just going 2 hours north of Tampa makes the summers slightly shorter, and going 2 hours south of Tampa makes the few-and-far-between cold fronts even fewer, and further-between. So climate can change dramatically from one agricultural zone to the next.

I'm a native of Tampa. Born and raised here, only lived outside of Florida for 2 years once, and then came back... so I speak from experience. The "summer weather" here lasts about 8 to 9 months each year, and the worst (most choking) part of all that is during the actual summer months. But leading up to and coming out from that time is still very hot and humid. I'm not trying to turn anyone off of this area, but I think it's important to be honest. It is stiflingly hot, even when you factor in the breezes, but there are definitely places that are hotter and more stifling (Kansas in July comes to mind). I'm in my late 30s, and I'm trying my hardest to get out of here, once and for all. I can't take it. I would rather shovel snow occasionally than to have to be hot, humid, and sticky for 9 months out of the year. As beautiful as it is here, and as lovely as it is when I do get to go to the beach, or to the springs, it's just wearing down my mental well-being in the long run. I can't wait until Florida is just a place I visit.

FWIW, and YMMV.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,176,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To each his own i guess, Up here in Montreal i might get to shovel the car out a couple of times a winter,no big deal, And its never so cold i cant dress appropriately.My time in Florida however is much more uncomfortable for me as once down to Tshirt shorts and flip flops theres no way to further cool off other than seeking out an air conditioned environment, if you are an outdoors type of person this becomes somewhat of an inconvenience for a major part of the year, I guess i'm a 4 seasons type rather than one long summer type.
Only twice a year? Wow, climate change must be doing a number in you all guys there these days ...

The Montreal we hear is this

After the storm, Montreal begins the heavy task of carting away record snow | CTV Montreal News

Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,085,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I always wondered if that really makes a noticeable difference. Despite less breeze, I'd be inclined to live in the eastern suburbs instead to ensure that I don't miss out on any thunderstorms (among other reasons).

The thunderstorm are pretty neat the first year or so. But when you get them every single day from June - September.... it gets old and.... mold. LOL

Old 10-09-2014, 12:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
I live in Tampa, right near downtown, with the Hillsborough Bay 5 minutes down the road from me... and those breezes *are* highly overrated. Yes, it is true, that being near the water helps make it tolerable, so we get low 90s when inland areas (like Lakeland, for instance) are in the upper 90s, but it still gets miserable. The only thing that makes the temperature tolerable is to be in some kind of water... whether going to the beach, or hanging out at one of the springs or something. And let's face it, for most of us, we simply can't spend all day long every day at the beach or floating down a spring-fed river. We gotta go to work from time to time. So whenever I find people saying that the breezes help cool things off around here, I assume they are from the midwest, or some landlocked state that never sees wind unless a tornado is coming through.

It is worth noting that just going 2 hours north of Tampa makes the summers slightly shorter, and going 2 hours south of Tampa makes the few-and-far-between cold fronts even fewer, and further-between. So climate can change dramatically from one agricultural zone to the next.

I'm a native of Tampa. Born and raised here, only lived outside of Florida for 2 years once, and then came back... so I speak from experience. The "summer weather" here lasts about 8 to 9 months each year, and the worst (most choking) part of all that is during the actual summer months. But leading up to and coming out from that time is still very hot and humid. I'm not trying to turn anyone off of this area, but I think it's important to be honest. It is stiflingly hot, even when you factor in the breezes, but there are definitely places that are hotter and more stifling (Kansas in July comes to mind). I'm in my late 30s, and I'm trying my hardest to get out of here, once and for all. I can't take it. I would rather shovel snow occasionally than to have to be hot, humid, and sticky for 9 months out of the year. As beautiful as it is here, and as lovely as it is when I do get to go to the beach, or to the springs, it's just wearing down my mental well-being in the long run. I can't wait until Florida is just a place I visit.

FWIW, and YMMV.
Some great and honest comments. Temps are still in the 90s with high humidity. It is ridiculous to make comments like "whew the heat/summer is over"...LOL...it isn't, and it won't be for another couple of months.

The reality is it is hot/humid for 8 to 9 months of the year not 4 or 5 months.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:37 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,315,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Some great and honest comments. Temps are still in the 90s with high humidity. It is ridiculous to make comments like "whew the heat/summer is over"...LOL...it isn't, and it won't be for another couple of months.

The reality is it is hot/humid for 8 to 9 months of the year not 4 or 5 months.
Indeed! I live in Largo only about 10 minutes from the beach. Far too warm for my taste... this "breeze" is way overrated. My dad does live in Lakeland though and it is certainly warmer there!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
We are in FL. We are a little more than 2,000 miles from the equator which is the warmest area on earth. If you go 1 or 2 thousand miles north of here it gets colder. The temperature ranges in FL have not changed too much in the past few hundred years. Before coming here did any of you check the
weather norms? Did you think the Florida was some kind of magic zone in the south where cool temps prevail? Common knowledge should tell you the Southern U.S. is hotter than the Northern U.S.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Only twice a year? Wow, climate change must be doing a number in you all guys there these days ...

The Montreal we hear is this

After the storm, Montreal begins the heavy task of carting away record snow | CTV Montreal News
We do get snow up here but mostly an inch or two now and then for this we dont need to break out the shovels, a couple of times a winter we get major snow falls and for the next few days parking the car and getting around can be difficult but its nothing like some portray whereby every day you have to shovel 10ft of snow off your car and then face 30 below zero temperatures for the next 8 months .
While scenes like this may look like hardship to some in reality theres not enough snow to shovel at this point,just brush a bit of snow off your car and go.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/jambo101/winter/DSC00166_zps302b116c.jpg

Same shot but this time shovels are needed

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/DSC00065.jpg

Old 10-09-2014, 02:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
We are in FL. We are a little more than 2,000 miles from the equator which is the warmest area on earth. If you go 1 or 2 thousand miles north of here it gets colder. The temperature ranges in FL have not changed too much in the past few hundred years. Before coming here did any of you check the
weather norms? Did you think the Florida was some kind of magic zone in the south where cool temps prevail? Common knowledge should tell you the Southern U.S. is hotter than the Northern U.S.

You're absolutely right. But than don't make comments like you did on another thread like "this is the time of year Floridians breathe a sigh" due to cooler temps, when in fact it is still quite hot and humid.

You also stated that June to September are the only hot months. It could easily be 90 at Thanksgiving.

One thing that is easily checked is the weather. And when people comment on here acting like once October comes there is some huge cool down simply isn't true.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Only 4 months with average high temps over 85 degrees. Only 2 of those 4 months reaching an average high of 90 degrees.

5 months with average high temps under 80 degrees and 1 month right at an average high of 80 degrees.

Palm Harbor Average Monthly Temps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay